Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM

89 posts, read 185,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I've never seen steer horns on a truck. That sounds cartoonish and ridiculous. Where have you heard of that? Everybody says it is like that? Wow -- everybody is misinformed.

Out in the country some people will wear a cowboy hat. Some wear cowboy boots too. But you'll be among the majority if you don't wear either. It's about the same as you'll see in the rural parts of California.
Depends on who you talk to. People that dont know any better think that about Dixon where i grew up. Funny part is I have seen horns on the hood of more than one vehicle in CA. Most of the state is pretty open. California gets a bad rap due to cities like SF and Berkely, not to mention Oakland and LA for crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtimelevi View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies! Anything has got to be better than California gun laws. Attitudes arent too bad unless you go to San Francisco. Laws here are the real problem. I even grew up in a small town and theres not many gun stores or places to shoot. Every time I turn around another gun store closes down. Now that I live in a more populated city its still the same bs. One tiny gun store with outrageous prices. Theres only one shooting range in god knows how far. Its only 25 yard backstop on top of that!

How is the cowboy culture out there? Is it like everybody says? Cowboy hats and steer horns on the hood of trucks,lol? I think i can get into the boots, but the hat im not so sure.

Im looking to move to a place on the outskirts of one of the major metro areas. I like the heat but dont want to live in the desert either. Being close to a river or lake would be nice. Any suggestions?
Just a couple of miles over a half hour north of Austin

Wildfire Ranch Arena

And yeah, for gun friendly places in Texas, focus on the area between Texarkana and Beaumont west to El Paso and from Amarillo south to Brownsville. You'll find something you like.

Last edited by Willsson; 04-25-2011 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 04:40 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 611,875 times
You didn't mention anything about jobs. You will need one in Texas. If you want to really get the feel and flavor of Texas, get a job in the oil patch. Right now with the new oil boom in south-central
Texas, Pleasanton, Kenedy, Karnes City, and Beeville are booming and the "experts" say will continue
for at least 10 more years. This equates to lots of good paying jobs, but be ready for some really hard, dirty work. Oh, by the way, the men and women who work in the oil patch are not necessarily
known for their manners and grammar, if you know what I mean. Any way, welcome to Texas!!!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 AM

Im a union sheet metal worker. Im planning on just switching union locals. Theres local offices in amarillo, lubbock, SA, Austin, Euless, Waco, Houston etc. pretty much all the places im interested in. Im gona be looking for construction. Anything from sky scrapers to sheds. I guess if that fails i could get a job on a rig. Never been scared of gettin dirty. Got a friend that works for a oil drilling company here in California(shhh, the environmentalists might hear). Good pay, hard work, right up my alley. Could be a good backup plan.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
You see cowboy hats and boots where I live all the time. NO ONE gives it a second look. I have even seen the kids' little league coaches out there in full western regalia, they're straight off the ranch I guess. My DH is from Minnesota but when we moved here, he quickly purchased boots and a big belt buckle to wear when we go out to listen to music. He still feels a little funny with a cowboy hat on, but he does wear one. If you are out in the sun, it really is very practical.

All of Texas is gun friendly.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Maybe too gun-friendly... Sleeping with their guns, kissing them, caressing them, etc. LOL

Okay, I wonder what kind of comments I'll get from that :-)

Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 611,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Maybe too gun-friendly... Sleeping with their guns, kissing them, caressing them, etc. LOL

I loves me sum shoot'in irons!!!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
If the OP doesn't wear a hat or boots it won't warrant a second look either. Just wear what you're comfortable in.

I've had some lawyers and reporters from NYC try to get all "Texan" when they come here. They end up looking and sounding absolutely ridiculous. Just be yourself.

One New York lawyer wore a bolo tie (nobody wears such silly things to court) and said "thank you kindly" to the judge. Nobody in the courtroom could keep from laughing when he said it in his thick New York accent trying to sound southern. (I guess he went to a western wear store to get a bolo tie. I wouldn't even know where to find one.) Some reporters from the New York Times have tried the same thing on me, with fake sounding southern accents and all.

Texas is a place where you can just be yourself. Nobody is going to look down on you for it. But they may think you're a little funny if you embrace the Texas stereotype that only exists in your head.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post

Is that stuff strange...?

People do that with their pets.

To Hamilton-
Im not gona be a pretend cowboy. I accidentaly say ya'll once in a while but thats about it. Hey its easier than saying everyone.

I was just curious about how people out there are.

Thanks for all the replies, keep em comin!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM

795 posts, read 1,584,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post

Texas is a place where you can just be yourself. Nobody is going to look down on you for it.
Very true. I dress and act like I always have and I've been welcomed with open arms. The only thing different that I do is wear a ball cap every day because if I dont my scalp gets all sunburned. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas