Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:48 PM

10 posts, read 61,693 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in a small town just north of Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA. We want to relocate to an area with less expensive house prices (here the average price is $260,000) and are looking at Azle, TX. We are renting now but want to buy something that will be less expensive for us when we retire in 15 years.

We also have a 12 year old daughter who is in 7th grade so schools are a concern too.

I have a friend who just moved to Azle from this area and she loves it. I'd like to get someone else's opinion. I'm concerned about the summer heat too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,475 times
Azle is pretty nice. I prefer the mid-cities area, specifically Grapevine/Colleyville as the schools are reportedly much better. All of the teachers I know have eyed jobs in the Colleyville district with envy. The only thing I don't like is this stupid state mandated annual student competency test. When I was growing up teachers taught. They didn't spend months reviewing for a stupid and useless state test. See http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/ for state spun details on these tests. Azle is probably much better if you have zero need to make it to Dallas.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 15,515 times
My kids go to Azle schools....they love them. We are looking to move a little farther north of here, so my daily commute will be shorter and they are having fits about leaving their school. Teachers seem to care about the kids.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 6,009 times
i have went to azle my whole life i recently moved to Illinois though and i'm sorry to say that there is a majopr drug and skipping problem at the high school. i went there until my sophomore year and watched all of it happened

Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,538 times
My mom teaches in Azle and doesn't have a lot of complementary things to say about it, but then I don't think she'd like very many public schools these days. She says she's not allowed to give bad grades to kids, no matter how much they've 'earned' them. Brittany's post is an example of what our public schools turn out, although I really don't think that's limited to Azle.

I haven't been to the town in a long time, but Lake Worth (which you pass if you come from Fort Worth) has been growing like crazy. They have a lot of new shopping and it looks nice, at least driving through. It's not too far to go for things. However, it's still pretty far 'out there' from the city.

The highway (Jacksboro Hwy) is very dangerous. Part of it is the design and part of it is the drivers. Two of my brothers' classmates have died in auto accidents. Before they closed off the turn onto my parent's street, there was at least one accident a month there.

They don't hate it out there, but Mom is ready to move. I think she'd be happier in an actual suburb. If you're looking for the small town feel, but relatively close to civilization, Azle might work for you.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:45 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRusticCottage View Post
My husband and I live in a small town just north of Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA. We want to relocate to an area with less expensive house prices (here the average price is $260,000) and are looking at Azle, TX. We are renting now but want to buy something that will be less expensive for us when we retire in 15 years.

We also have a 12 year old daughter who is in 7th grade so schools are a concern too.

I have a friend who just moved to Azle from this area and she loves it. I'd like to get someone else's opinion. I'm concerned about the summer heat too. Thanks.
Well, unless you love upper 90's, 100's with a humidity index that makes it feel even hotter, you may not like the summers. But then every place is a/c'd so if you're not outside much it won't bother you except that you'll still sweat like a pig going from your house to the car. You'll just be much more appreciative of our lakes and pools and they'll feel so good! Except if it's been over 100 for several days (summer nights are 70's and 80's) then the pool will just be warm, blech.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
For pleasant weather around Azle I would recommend shady waterfront on Eagle Mountain lake. There is some in the price range and it pretty pleasant living with a fairly decent community.

We were thinking Oregon would be the place to be, but Eagle Mountain lake is now running a close second.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:32 PM

84 posts, read 236,244 times
I am coming to Azle in the next few weeks to check out the area in advance of relocation.

Are there any Azle residents here that could comment on what you think about living in Azle? Do you feel you need to go to Fort Worth to find things or is everything available right there? Are there neighboorhoods to watch out for?
Is Azle growing ? Are there new housing developments on ongoing?

Maybe all this was already answered in the thread, but I noticed the last comments are 1 year and a half old, and I am sure things have evolved.
Any information on Azle would be much appreciated.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,491 times
I lived in that area for a while and I loved it. The Saginaw/Eagle Mountain ISD have better schools and Lakeview Christian is an excellent private school. That area has exploded in the last ten years. Try to purchase closer to Boat Club Rd. as the property values seem to be more stable over there.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 PM

84 posts, read 236,244 times
Shelbyindallas,
Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas