Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,414 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm moving from Michigan with my husband and daughter to the Terlingua area in May/June 2011. I keep reading endless websites that say not to pay more than $150 an acre max for land in Terlingua but I know a lot of the online realty places I'm running across are terribly priced like $400 an acre even up to $2,000 an acre. Is anyone selling at least 40; if not 80 acres(80 is preferred) in the Terlingua area for $150 an acre or less, please let me know immediately! No electric is perfectly fine, but a legal easement must be present if the land doesn't touch a road. We are looking for land that is less than $150 in a county that has no building codes. So other counties are alright as well. If you have land for sale, please share your information. Any other tips, pointers etc. are appreciated. Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 AM

578 posts, read 1,227,875 times
Check out this site: West Texas Realty | Saddle Up with The Real Estate Professionals!
They list most of the properties in the Terlingua Ranch area.
You should be able to find land at that price out there...
Water will be hard to find if you drill a well, most people have rain catchment systems and/or haul water. I know several people out there that have purchased land for $200/acre and under. Make sure you really want to live out there before buying, it is not for everyone....but very beautiful.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times
Agree with the above poster...land may be cheap, but you better know what your getting into before you buy....there is a reason land is cheap out there

Old 04-30-2011, 07:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather87 View Post
Hello, I'm moving from Michigan with my husband and daughter to the Terlingua area in May/June 2011. I keep reading endless websites that say not to pay more than $150 an acre max for land in Terlingua but I know a lot of the online realty places I'm running across are terribly priced like $400 an acre even up to $2,000 an acre. Is anyone selling at least 40; if not 80 acres(80 is preferred) in the Terlingua area for $150 an acre or less, please let me know immediately! No electric is perfectly fine, but a legal easement must be present if the land doesn't touch a road. We are looking for land that is less than $150 in a county that has no building codes. So other counties are alright as well. If you have land for sale, please share your information. Any other tips, pointers etc. are appreciated. Heather
If you have not spent time out there personally, moving there sight-unseen is madness. Terlingua is *not* for everyone - in fact, it's hardly for anyone. There is a reason why this area is the least populated place in Texas.

My dh and I almost moved there but things changed for us and we changed our mind. Now, mind you, we are loners and do not need (nor want) a lot of interact with other people, so chances are it would have been ok for us. But again....let me say.....it is not for everyone.

Before you pack those Pampers, I'd suggest you go down there and spend a couple of weeks during the summer and see if you can handle it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2015, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,282 times
Default terlingua

why is it so bad to live down there? too hot? no water? can you drill a well?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 PM

348 posts, read 830,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman Dean View Post
why is it so bad to live down there? too hot? no water? can you drill a well?
It isn't bad to live there. It's perfect for people who love it. There are very few such people, which is why the area is so desolate.

It does get very hot. There is no easy water, and wells are expensive. There's a good chance there will be no electricity, so you'll have to bring your own if you want air conditioning (you do). If there's a road, it's probably very rough, and there may not even be a road. The OP knew that and wants at least an easement to get to any land he may have bought, although that easement may just be a strip of unimproved cross-country terrain. You also want to make sure it's surveyed. You don't want a piece of land that isn't marked off, just some unknown part of a huge open range. It's far from everything so stocking up is a bit of a voyage.

Beyond those things, which you may be able to deal with, there's the loneliness, the effect of which people tend to underestimate. If you're close to the little developed areas in the region you can go to a bar or some other place to see people, but the kind of people who tend to be drawn to such a place may not be the easiest to get along with. People go out there to be alone. Spending most of your time alone, by yourself or as a couple, is not something everyone enjoys.

I've been out there, but don't live there. Someone with more knowledge may have more to say. This strikes me as the kind of place that you either love or hate. Only a few love it, and if you don't love it it's too hard a life to endure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: