Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: By when will Ft Worth surpass Austin in population?
2012 0 0%
2015 6 16.22%
2020 11 29.73%
2025 3 8.11%
2030+ 1 2.70%
Never, Austin will always be bigger 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Frankly when I lived there I always thought of Fort Worth as more Midwestern than Western. Still do, actually. BTW, my maternal lineage all lived 20 miles north of FW from before the Civil War until gradually dying or moving away well after WWII. I was around FW from my earliest childhood and I won't let some of the wishful thinking bs on this thread go unchallenged.
What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 01:01 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... speaking as a young native of the city who's seeing it grow, and a strong advocate of more thoughtful urban development, the WORST thing Fort Worth could do be "sleepy". For a city that's expected to have around a million within two decades, that "small town charm" will eventually go away anyway.

As far as Fort Worth's identity as the most western city in Texas, I wouldn't want that to go away because it's a big part of what the city is known for. But as far as the slow, small town part, we can't have that anymore. It's slowed down much of the progress in this city as far as infrastructure goes. People hanging on to the whole small town feel thing has really hurt Fort Worth in a few areas as a major city.

And it's not me "rooting" for population increases, it's just truth. Unless there's a major reverse in what makes people move there, I don't see Fort Worth getting smaller anytime soon, and we have to change a few things about the city in order to accommodate to those living in the city.

I'm not saying I want things to stay exactly the same or not grow at all. Obviously, transportation infrastructure is one area that "small town" thinking has kept Fort Worth behind. Public transportation sucks, and 820 should have been expanded when I was a kid! Now it's just pathetic!

But I also don't get people who are obsessed with population numbers and hoping Fort Worth explodes. Fort Worth needs to focus on smart growth and retaining what makes Fort Worth, Fort Worth. When I see that Fort Worth grew 30% or whatever in the last decade, and then I see all this new annexed land in northern Fort Worth with mile after mile of suburban, tract starter homes, I can't help but think this isn't necessarily a great thing or smart growth. When I see people wanting more skyscrapers downtown, I think, well, do we even have anything to put in those buildings?

Nevertheless, downtown Fort Worth, the cultural district, and near Southside look fantastic and are more lively and built up than I've ever seen in my entire life. So Fort Worth is obviously doing a lot of things right, and I can't complain too much.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Frankly when I lived there I always thought of Fort Worth as more Midwestern than Western. Still do, actually. BTW, my maternal lineage all lived 20 miles north of FW from before the Civil War until gradually dying or moving away well after WWII. I was around FW from my earliest childhood and I won't let some of the wishful thinking bs on this thread go unchallenged.

Quote:
What?

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're referring to, either, Doc. What "wishful thinking"?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I'm not saying I want things to stay exactly the same or not grow at all. Obviously, transportation infrastructure is one area that "small town" thinking has kept Fort Worth behind. Public transportation sucks, and 820 should have been expanded when I was a kid! Now it's just pathetic!

But I also don't get people who are obsessed with population numbers and hoping Fort Worth explodes. Fort Worth needs to focus on smart growth and retaining what makes Fort Worth, Fort Worth. When I see that Fort Worth grew 30% or whatever in the last decade, and then I see all this new annexed land in northern Fort Worth with mile after mile of suburban, tract starter homes, I can't help but think this isn't necessarily a great thing or smart growth. When I see people wanting more skyscrapers downtown, I think, well, do we even have anything to put in those buildings?

Nevertheless, downtown Fort Worth, the cultural district, and near Southside look fantastic and are more lively and built up than I've ever seen in my entire life. So Fort Worth is obviously doing a lot of things right, and I can't complain too much.
Near southside and the hospital district has really made a huge come up. I can't wait to get back home to explore.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:08 PM

Yeah, Magnolia is really popping now. It's my favorite area in Fort Worth. Lots of cool bars that rival anything I've been to in Dallas or Austin.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post

If there's one thing alot of us in Fort Worth are fighting for, it's SMART growth.

Fort Worthology | Traditional urbanism, smart growth, transit, bicycles, urban living, and sustainability in Fort Worth, Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas