U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 PM

13,468 posts, read 14,953,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Definition of suburb. Isn't most of inner city Dallas dominated by this same type of development.

Lower densities than central cities, dominated by single-family homes on small[clarification needed] plots of land, surrounded at close quarters by very similar dwellings.
Unfortunately, yes. Most of what Dallas has built thru time u suburban. However, most of the growth over the past decade focuses on medium to high dense urban areas in multiple parts if the city. Most of the new Dallas city growth is urqban. Most FW new growth is suburban.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:52 PM

3,596 posts, read 4,312,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Unfortunately, yes. Most of what Dallas has built thru time u suburban. However, most of the growth over the past decade focuses on medium to high dense urban areas in multiple parts if the city. Most of the new Dallas city growth is urqban. Most FW new growth is suburban.
Thanks for the clarification that makes a lot of sense

Old 07-17-2011, 11:29 PM

17 posts, read 17,446 times
Uthorns96

Why are you so concerned about a black mecca. Is it that you don't want to be around other ethnicities. The southern Dallas area would be considered a black mecca, i.e. Desoto, Cedar Hill, and Lancaster. The black community is also becoming prevalent in Mansfield and Midlothian. I would advise against the north Dallas suburbs because they would not be considered black meccas. Desoto has an African-American ampitheater that you can go watch African-American related theater. There are many African-American owned businesses there also. The crime rate is pretty high especially theft and burglaries for a small town. The schools are not that great performing, though, but the town is majority black with still some elderly white people there. There are also a mix of Hispanics moving in as well. I would say the schools are 90% black.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM

727 posts, read 502,186 times
Live Music - Houston

Food - definitely Houston

Neighborhoods - Probably Dallas, I think of Cedar Hill, Duncanville, DeSoto, etc. as better majority-AA areas than Missouri City and Humble. Inner-city neighborhoods are probably about even.

Opportunities - probably a wash

Cost of Living - about even, maybe a slight advantage to Houston

Police - neither are known for their love affair with the AA community. I'd say that HPD is more oppressive if you find yourself getting into trouble, but is more laid back otherwise (what do they do?). DPD is known for heavily patrolling AA events and neighborhoods. I remember being in Deep Ellum a few years ago and getting told to "stop loitering and move along" even though all my friends and I were trying to do is figure out which bar/club we were going to patronize. I've never had a similar experience in Houston.

Race Relations - historically I'd say Houston has better race relations between blacks and non-blacks. I think Dallas is catching up quickly as its AA population grows, however. DFW remains more segregated though.

Culture - I don't know too much about Dallas AA culture as compared to Houston. So i'll pass on this one. All I can say is that black folks in Houston seem to have a different mindset than those in Dallas. I'm not sure I can elaborate on that one fully though. It's difficult to explain. I think black folks in both cities are permeated by the wider culture of both of those cities. So I perceive us in Houston a bit less "Texan" than those in Dallas. I don't want to use the term cosmopolitan, but I can't think of a better word. And of course there are many many many exceptions.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:14 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,492,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Neighborhoods - Probably Dallas, I think of Cedar Hill, Duncanville, DeSoto, etc. as better majority-AA areas than Missouri City and Humble. Inner-city neighborhoods are probably about even.
Humble is not a AA majority hood. Humble is less than 15% black.

Even Missouri city is 38% black and 44% white.

There are no black majority cities in Houston metro, there are some black majority hoods around the 3rd and 5th ward areas but those are a throw back to slavery days and are steeped in poverty. Houston has long been integrated so you will be hard pressed to find many black only upper class hoods

Some of the better Black hoods in Houston are Riverside Terrace, Washington Terrace and a number of the Braes_____ hoods.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

There are no black majority cities in Houston metro, there are some black majority hoods around the 3rd and 5th ward areas but those are a throw back to slavery days and are steeped in poverty. Houston has long been integrated so you will be hard pressed to find many black only upper class hoods

Some of the better Black hoods in Houston are Riverside Terrace, Washington Terrace and a number of the Braes_____ hoods.
You are correct about Humble, however, there are significant portions of that area that are majority black mostly near the airport and 59. But I'll agree, that's not a fair comparison to the southern Dallas burbs.

As far as Missouri City blacks are indeed the slight majority. Missouri City is 41% black, 33% white, and 16% Asian, but that doesn't account for Hispanics who can be of any race. This is as of Census 2010, the numbers you are referencing are for 2000. Missouri City is the only majority-black city in Greater Houston. A much better comparison for the southern Dallas burbs.

Census 2010: Texas - USATODAY.com

Old 07-18-2011, 01:29 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,492,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
You are correct about Humble, however, there are significant portions of that area that are majority black mostly near the airport and 59. But I'll agree, that's not a fair comparison to the southern Dallas burbs.

As far as Missouri City blacks are indeed the slight majority. Missouri City is 41% black, 33% white, and 16% Asian, but that doesn't account for Hispanics who can be of any race. This is as of Census 2010, the numbers you are referencing are for 2000. Missouri City is the only majority-black city in Greater Houston. A much better comparison for the southern Dallas burbs.

Census 2010: Texas - USATODAY.com
you mean black plurality??? 41% is not a majority.

Anyway I didn't even know it was that high. I left MoCity in 2003 and have not been back since

Old 07-18-2011, 01:55 PM

OK fine. If we're talking about semantics then black plurality.

The point I was making was that of the suburban cities, it offers the best parallel to the southwest Dallas suburbs in the greater Houston area, demographically speaking.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM

967 posts, read 978,889 times
I think Houston is a much better city for African-Americans than the DFW area is for a number of reasons.

I will say that the Best Southwest suburbs area is a good place for black middle-class professionals.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 PM

717 posts, read 206,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Actually, there are pockets of majority black areas that are working class to lower middle class scattered across the northside. These aren't "nice" areas, but they aren't steeped in poverty either.

Until it was swallowed by Houston, Acres Homes used to be the largest unincorporated majority black community in the entire south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas