Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM

16 posts, read 45,793 times

Advertisements

Just like the title says. How do you see the the future of Texas? GOOD OR BAD? And how do you compare that towards other states like California that are having budget problems?
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
I think I can safely say that most Texans aren't paying attention to the details of the budget. Most are interested, but will not take the time to look at the details. Folks are busy these days, keeping their head above water, and busy with their own lives. As for California, most Texans despise that state. I don't, but when I ask others to explain their opinion, they just spew out a bunch of hazy words about liberal blah blah blah stuff, and don't really provide any specific details. Most have never even been to that state either.

As for the future of Texas, you'll probably get a different answer from every person. I've lived in Texas over 40 years, and I don't know quite how I'd answer that. It's hard to forsee the future, and it's really a crapshoot. I mean, economically, it might do better than other states, but in other ways (such as demographically) it might continue to change for the worse (in my opinion). Twenty years ago, I was sure I'd spend my entire life and die in Texas. Things have changed though, and I have a lower opinion, and don't plan to spend my final days here.

As for "good and bad", that's personal and subjective. One person's good may be another person's horrible. Maybe you can explain what is good and bad for you.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 AM

16 posts, read 45,793 times
Very true statement about one persons good may be another persons bad. I guess what I'm trying to say is Texas economic rebounding abilities vs other states. I have a bunch of friends that have moved out there and love everything about Texas. They have tried to get me and my family out there. However I do know, it doesnt matter where you go theres issues. My feeling is what place will rebound the fastest, and I would like to be there with my family when it starts to rebound. It may benifit my family in the long run. I have two boys 5 and 2 and worry about education challenges among California, espesicially when it comes to overcrowding.
Chris

Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
I have not kept up with what is happening in California. But I am very worried about Texas future. It is terrible to contemplate, that the State which already spends the least on educating its children, is now going to spend significantly less.
The cutbacks and layoffs will result in qualified teachers moving to places where there are better opportunities or changing careers.

Do we want the future State of Texas to be a State of Imbeciles? That is where we are heading.

Percentage by County of Illiterate Adult Texans

There is little question that this will result in an increase of the crime rate and the number of people living below the poverty level. Both are directly related to education levels.

Quote:
  • 85% of all juveniles who interface with the juvenile court system are functionally illiterate. (National Assessment of Adult Literacy, 2003)
  • Texas has slipped from 45th to last among states ranked by percent for citizens in 2005—age 25 and older—who have a high school diploma or GED (Murdock, 2007).
  • One in three adults cannot read this sentence.(National Assessment of Adult Literacy, 2003)
  • 50% of the chronically unemployed are not functionally literate.
  • According to the 2008 American Community Survey, Texas ranked 51st, for its proportion of residents with a high school education, which fell to 79.6 percent. Texas dropped one spot in the rankings from 2008 to 2007, being surpassed by Mississippi.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:27 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Spoiler
I think I can safely say that most Texans aren't paying attention to the details of the budget. Most are interested, but will not take the time to look at the details. Folks are busy these days, keeping their head above water, and busy with their own lives. As for California, most Texans despise that state. I don't, but when I ask others to explain their opinion, they just spew out a bunch of hazy words about liberal blah blah blah stuff, and don't really provide any specific details. Most have never even been to that state either.

As for the future of Texas, you'll probably get a different answer from every person. I've lived in Texas over 40 years, and I don't know quite how I'd answer that. It's hard to forsee the future, and it's really a crapshoot. I mean, economically, it might do better than other states, but in other ways (such as demographically) it might continue to change for the worse (in my opinion). Twenty years ago, I was sure I'd spend my entire life and die in Texas. Things have changed though, and I have a lower opinion, and don't plan to spend my final days here.

As for "good and bad", that's personal and subjective. One person's good may be another person's horrible. Maybe you can explain what is good and bad for you.
You say most a lot. So, one person's most might be another person's some.

I don't think a lot of people anywhere on the planet spend a whole lot of time concerning themselves with California, or Texas for that matter.

If it comes to the state facing a financial collapse, we can always shut down UT and the aTm and raid the permanent university fund. The threat of that alone would probably garner the state treasury voluntary donations in the multi-billion$.

And the above can be used as my response to the OP's question, 'How do you see the the future of Texas? GOOD OR BAD?'

Texans will take care of Texas.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Texans include people like Rick Perry and the Texas Legislature--look what they have done

"taking care" of Texas should mean empowering its people--all of them--to become more productive, useful citizens who can give back to the state and make it a better place of us all

unfortunately
Rick Perry and those who follow his lead just want to preserve the better way of life for people who are already more than self-sustaining...and they especially want to protect business--even when it does not really need protecting...

IF people in Texas are not concerned about the budget it is because they are not the type of people who are independent thinkers--and finding information on the budget is very difficult since most newspapers and the news channels don't really want to go head to head with Rick Perry
frankly once Perry was reelected this last time any hope of changing was out the window
not everyone voted for Perry--but everyone has to dance with him now...

Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have not kept up with what is happening in California. But I am very worried about Texas future. It is terrible to contemplate, that the State which already spends the least on educating its children, is now going to spend significantly less.
The cutbacks and layoffs will result in qualified teachers moving to places where there are better opportunities or changing careers.

Do we want the future State of Texas to be a State of Imbeciles? That is where we are heading.

Percentage by County of Illiterate Adult Texans

There is little question that this will result in an increase of the crime rate and the number of people living below the poverty level. Both are directly related to education levels.
Do you have a map by races? Just curious to see what it looks like.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj c reelz View Post
Just like the title says. How do you see the the future of Texas? GOOD OR BAD? And how do you compare that towards other states like California that are having budget problems?
Chris
Just FYI, the Texas budget has NOT passed. The 82nd legislature is still in session and will be until sine die on Monday May 30, unless special sessions are called. A conference committee has been appointed to negotiate a compromise between the Senate's version and the House's version. There are two chambers in the legislature, and a budget must be passed by both.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnrn View Post

I have not kept up with what is happening in california. But i am very worried about texas future. It is terrible to contemplate, that the state which already spends the least on educating its children, is now going to spend significantly less.

Do we want the future state of texas to be a state of imbeciles? That is where we are heading.

percentage by county of illiterate adult texans

there is little question that this will result in an increase of the crime rate and the number of people living below the poverty level. Both are directly related to education levels.

Nail.

On.

Head.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Travis, Dallas and Tarrant counties are green. Harris and Fort Bend counties are yellow. Much of the state is blue, 10-19%. Looks as though most illiteracy is closer to the border or sparsely populated areas.

Agreed, any illiteracy is too much but I don't suspect many illegal immigrants will be learning to read english before they swim the Rio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas