U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 AM

13,473 posts, read 14,969,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
So we spend $15 million 21st century dollars for a 19th century solution to a 20th century problem?

What a waste, surely we have more promising technologies than railroads. I will admit though that trains are cool.
High Speed Rail is a 19th century solution? Should we also stop spending money on 20th century solutions like highways as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 PM

727 posts, read 503,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
High Speed Rail is a 19th century solution? Should we also stop spending money on 20th century solutions like highways as well?

I think that if HSR was built in Texas, we would absolutely love it. It would be easier and more comfortable than riding Southwest.

I just wish we could pay for it, and for expansions in the public transit systems that will help support it. We'll have to figure that side of it out.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,771,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes I think so. If we want to spend money on new transportation, how about investing in something like volantors?

http://www.moller.com/

A personal aircraft capable of VTOL would have the flexibility and versatility of automobiles and speeds comparable to small aircraft which are much faster than nearly any train. With the ability to fly point to point, traffic congestion would be a thing of the past. Only a tiny amount of surface area on the ground is currently dedicated to transportation, moving traffic into the sky where it can take advantage of the entire area and do so in 3 dimensions would eliminate our congestion problems pretty much forever.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM

727 posts, read 503,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Yes I think so. If we want to spend money on new transportation, how about investing in something like volantors?

http://www.moller.com/

A personal aircraft capable of VTOL would have the flexibility and versatility of automobiles and speeds comparable to small aircraft which are much faster than nearly any train. With the ability to fly point to point, traffic congestion would be a thing of the past. Only a tiny amount of surface area on the ground is currently dedicated to transportation, moving traffic into the sky where it can take advantage of the entire area and do so in 3 dimensions would eliminate our congestion problems pretty much forever.
I've never seen anything like that but it's interesting to say the least! When I get done with finals and graduation I'm going to further explore this VTOL idea.

Thinking outside the box to be sure, but just off of the top of my head efficient propulsion for a large fleet of these would be a challenge. Wankel rotaries are good engines, but not necessarily a breakthrough technology.

I like the idea though and would like to see it explored further. Innovations like these are things that we as Americans need to get out in front of to preserve the higher-earning segments of our economy and ensure that we remain a world leader in transportation technologies. I mean, we are the country that created the car and the airplane so why shouldn't we be the country that creates the car-plane?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,771,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I've never seen anything like that but it's interesting to say the least! When I get done with finals and graduation I'm going to further explore this VTOL idea.

Thinking outside the box to be sure, but just off of the top of my head efficient propulsion for a large fleet of these would be a challenge. Wankel rotaries are good engines, but not necessarily a breakthrough technology.

I like the idea though and would like to see it explored further. Innovations like these are things that we as Americans need to get out in front of to preserve the higher-earning segments of our economy and ensure that we remain a world leader in transportation technologies. I mean, we are the country that created the car and the airplane so why shouldn't we be the country that creates the car-plane?
I agree.

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:10 PM

185 posts, read 181,754 times
Okay, first off... This $15 million is going towards a STUDY, not any shovel-moving or steel wheels.

Of course, study will determine options and find out how much they will cost, and how much ridership will come in.

So THANKS for having a misleading headline.

Can I start a new thread on Dallas-Houston HSR?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 PM

16,007 posts, read 26,141,305 times
So what would the status of a line paralleling I-35 or the Texas "T" be versus this? Those don't have a direct Dallas to Houston route..

Old 05-10-2011, 05:16 PM

706 posts, read 829,274 times
And this just in this afternoon, from California:

State report hammers high-speed rail plans - San Jose Mercury News

The LAO called plans to build the Los Angeles-to-San Francisco service "highly uncertain," current oversight "inadequate" and "too weak" and funding assumptions far too "optimistic."

Old 05-10-2011, 06:36 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,594,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Business travelers take Taxis. anyway if as you say only tourists and leisure travelers take mass transit, then why bring up business travelers at all if they don't take mass transit?

anyway touting bus systems was the point you made earlier, you said Dallas and Houston you get to downtown and then can't get anywhere from there, and you further singled out Houston when in actuality Houston has one of the best bus systems in the country and downtown is the heart of it all.
Or rental cars.

Bus systems do the job, and do it well for those that depend upon them. And Houston does have an excellent bus system.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,594,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
it is just for exploration and accessments, not for actual rail building.

An environmental impact study, feasibility studies, cost studies, ridership projections, possible stops etc must be done before any other planning or monetary requests can be done
Exactly. This money would only be used for the things pointed out above. I'd absolutely LOVE to see HSR between Houston and DFW. It's a damn shame that if it were to come to fruition, that Austin and San Antonio would probably be too far off the beaten path to run a route to those cities as well. Of course, it it went through Austin and SA, it would take such a long time to get between DFW and Houston that it wouldn't be very time friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas