Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,519 times

Advertisements

And I agree with most of the posters on this forum; it will not happen for a LONG, LONG time. By then, we'll probably have our own private jetpacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Why couldn't Texas pay for the Study itself , its not backed up with that many Rail projects.....and doesn't seem to have issues studying Road projects?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,999,990 times
I wonder who will pocket the 15 million, since this won't happen (it won't be built). I know this is only for a study, but it will still be a waste of money since it won't happen. And just think of all the hundreds (thousands?) of road intersections that would be in the way (east-west) as this monster goes north-south. It's not just the construction of the rail itself, but resolving and getting around all the obvious obstacles. That would be enormously costly and time-consuming, wrangling with all those impacted towns and jurisdictions.

What's the point of being able to go between these two towns anyway? I used to live near Dallas, and there's nothing worthwhile there. And just because it is "high speed" doesn't mean that it will only take a couple of minutes. I'd still probably take at least an hour or two.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-10-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
Okay, first off... This $15 million is going towards a STUDY, not any shovel-moving or steel wheels.

Of course, study will determine options and find out how much they will cost, and how much ridership will come in.

So THANKS for having a misleading headline.

Can I start a new thread on Dallas-Houston HSR?
I fail to see how the title is misleading. It doesn't say "Texas Gets $15 million for CONSTRUCTION of Houston-DFW HSR line" or "Texas Gets $15 million for PLANNING of Houston-DFW HSR line".

Anyway, most of the money will likely go to research firms and consultants for planning and engineering studies.

This piecemeal way of going about HSR is not working. We should not keep throwing money behind this until there is significant support for a more robust national system.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:21 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,687 times
Here is blog that echos my thinking on this. Trains are yesterday's technology. We should keep a few around for freight and maybe a couple for tourist, but they are definitely not the transportation of the future.

We need to get the FAA out of the way so we can have our skycars, short of that we could have computerized smart highways that let vehicles travel at high speeds in tight groups, a kind of trains on wheels, instead of trains on rails.

I like his libertarian perspective too.

High Speed Rail? Dude! Where's my F-!king HoverCar?

Old 05-10-2011, 06:28 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
15M?? Is it gonna be one of those Lionel Toy trains??

Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Planning and environmental assessment only. Nothing more. Nothing even approaching construction lol.
I seriously doubt a simple environmental assessment would come close to satisfying the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) for such a large undertaking. An environmental impact statement (EIS) would be required at the least and $15 million wouldn't start to fill the black hole as would be opened by an EIS and the associated public scrutiny.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Here is blog that echos my thinking on this. Trains are yesterday's technology. We should keep a few around for freight and maybe a couple for tourist, but they are definitely not the transportation of the future.

We need to get the FAA out of the way so we can have our skycars, short of that we could have computerized smart highways that let vehicles travel at high speeds in tight groups, a kind of trains on wheels, instead of trains on rails.

I like his libertarian perspective too.

High Speed Rail? Dude! Where's my F-!king HoverCar?
I don't think trains are yesterday's technology. We still will likely be traveling on the ground for some time to come, regardless of my comment about flying jetpacks.

Your opinion is valuable and has merit though. There are pluses and minuses to HSR. And if it is done, it should be done right.

One of my reasons is that i just love trains; even light rail. I even like buses when done right.

I lived in Europe for two years and absolutely loved public transit while there. I enjoyed being free of a car and being able to do things while I went to and fro.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 PM

185 posts, read 349,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Exactly. This money would only be used for the things pointed out above. I'd absolutely LOVE to see HSR between Houston and DFW. It's a damn shame that if it were to come to fruition, that Austin and San Antonio would probably be too far off the beaten path to run a route to those cities as well. Of course, it it went through Austin and SA, it would take such a long time to get between DFW and Houston that it wouldn't be very time friendly.
If Austin and San Antonio want HSR, they might as well have their own line up to Dallas.

I've done some "unofficial analysis" and I determined that the most logical route for DFW-HOU HSR would be Houston-College Station-Waco-Dallas, paralleling TX 249, TX 6, I-35, I-35W or FM 304/I-35E.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Exactly. This money would only be used for the things pointed out above. I'd absolutely LOVE to see HSR between Houston and DFW.
I would love that route too. I don't think people here realize how many people make the journey and how many would love too but hate the drive between the two.

I would go visit my peeps a lot more often in Dallas if I didn't have to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas