U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,778,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
What about fuel? It takes more energy to fly than to roll. And what happens if the engine craps out in the air? Is the computer programmed to make an emergency landing?
According to specs, it runs on ethanol and gets about the same fuel economy as a large SUV. If an engine fails, the computer navigates toward an unpopulated area if one is near and deploys a parachute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:01 PM

5,971 posts, read 2,698,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Maybe not for much longer. I found this today:

Moller must be pretty confident to invite 250 members of the press to watch the Skycar fly.

Skycar Manufacturer Moller International Announces Scheduled Test Flight: Market Wire Business News - MSN Money
Cool read. But this is still fantasy/decades away unless there is some breakthrough in propulsion. This guy has been working on these cars for forty years and has built several of them and showed them off according to the internet.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,942,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
as for your comments in red you are probably thinking of light rail speed. The proposed rail travels at speeds over 150mph, which means it would take less than two hours to get from Houston to Dallas, So year given the option it is a no brainer that it would be quicker to take the rail than to drive. It may be even quicker than flying because of security flying takes two longer than the actual flight time.
I can drive point to point - from my house to my destination in Dallas - in 4 hours.

Unless you live next to the train station you still have to get there from your house, and then from the station to your destination, so figure on 30 minutes on each end. It's about what I seem to spend on average getting to and from the airports.

Now your 2 hour train ride is 3 hours. Unless you're really feeling lucky, you are going to want to arrive at the train station well before it departs so you can park, carry your bags in, find your way around, and not miss your train. Even in the days when airport security was light and if you could beat the doors closing you were allowed on board, only the bravest would leave themselves less than 30 minutes for that. So now you're at 3:30.

And why does everyone think there won't be airline-style security? Trains have been and will continue to be terrorist targets. The intel from the UBL raid was that they were (and may still be) targeting a train on the tenth anniversary of 9/11. I guarantee you DHS would control security at these stations.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,205,119 times
Lol, seriously? It costed about 10 million just to renovate The Texas Giant at Six Flags.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:57 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,128,460 times
Everyone always mentions the issue about where buisness travelers are going to go once they reach their prespective destination. My answer is they're going to do the same exact thing they do when they touch down at an airport, which is use a taxi or car service. If we really became ambitious, we could have trains that carry vehicles ala The Auto Train on the east coast. DFW is in an even more remote location than Downtown Dallas and same for GHW Intercontinential in Houston, and yet somehow people (lots of people) still manage.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM

7,356 posts, read 8,110,477 times
I am surprised the most obvious problem hasn't surfaced - the deaths of the people too dumb not to get in the way. When we first put in the MetroRail - it seemed like the Chronicle had a story every other day about dummies getting run over. It will make a really big mess when the high-speed trains hit the same type of people.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 AM

8,984 posts, read 8,729,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I am surprised the most obvious problem hasn't surfaced - the deaths of the people too dumb not to get in the way. When we first put in the MetroRail - it seemed like the Chronicle had a story every other day about dummies getting run over. It will make a really big mess when the high-speed trains hit the same type of people.
The high speed rail won't run in the streets, due to being robbed by anti-rail politicians.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,402,277 times
you think trains existed only in 19th century??? have u ever been to places like New York or London?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
So we spend $15 million 21st century dollars for a 19th century solution to a 20th century problem?

What a waste, surely we have more promising technologies than railroads. I will admit though that trains are cool.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,942,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
HSR would have to be separated and secured guideway that doesn't cross roads. For that reason, it will be much more expensive than standard passenger rail.

What I wonder about is how many HSR fans have actually gone to Amtrak and priced out trips? If Amtrak cannot be price competitive with airlines then how could HSR with it's much higher capital and operating costs ever be?

Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,430,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
What I wonder about is how many HSR fans have actually gone to Amtrak and priced out trips? If Amtrak cannot be price competitive with airlines then how could HSR with it's much higher capital and operating costs ever be?
Actually, the airlines aren't price competitive with Amtrak. I just checked on a weekend trip to Chicago and it would be $378 via airline (cheapest on Priceline) or $114 via Amtrak. The catch is, of course, Amtrak is much slower and isn't available in as many places. It's still a considerable option if you're not in a hurry though. The high speed rail will narrow the speed difference with an airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas