Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM

419 posts, read 994,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Did you know there is a new Brookshires "Fresh" Market in Tyler off of Old Jacksonville Highway now where you can get hammered while shopping for your groceries? Yep, no "Membership cards" required there either & its considered a private entity. They even have bar tenders serving cold beer out on the patio which over looks the parking lot everyone enters through...wait, we could'n't be talking about the conservative/bible thumping/old Southern Baptist TYLER, TEXAS you thought you knew could we?!!!
Getting hammered while shopping for groceries sounds pretty backwards, actually. Those people need a bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
Getting hammered while shopping for groceries sounds pretty backwards, actually. Those people need a bar.
There is a bar outside on the patio. They also serve it behind a bar inside the store along with Gelatto (Italian Ice Cream for those not in the know). Sounds kinda cosmopolitan (as them dern city folk say) if you ask me, & no, I'm not talking about the drink.

Thanks for the suggestion though I'll keep that in mind as I'm sure it will change the fact Tyler & Smith County are no longer "dry" for the most part. East Texas is not as backwards as some people on these boards would like to make it out to be.

Troup Preps For Alcohol Sales In Near Future
By KELLY GOOCH

Staff Writer

Days after Troup became the second Smith County city to go wet, staff members are making efforts to help ensure a smooth transition.

Mayor John Whitsell said the city prepared for the possibility about a year ago when it approved its new zoning ordinance and map. However, he said city employees are checking ordinances so that the legalization of beer, wine and liquor sales is a positive thing moving forward rather than a negative one.

“I think we're as prepared as we can be and as prepared as we need to be,” Whitsell said. “We're certainly going to revisit ordinances and make sure everything's in place.”

Based on the zoning ordinance and map, alcohol potentially could be sold along Troup's main thoroughfares — Texas Highway 110 and Texas Highway 135 — which includes downtown, two gas stations and Brookshire's.

But the city is permitted to adopt a local ordinance prohibiting the sale of alcoholic beverages within 300 feet of a public or private school, church and/or public hospital, according to state statute.

In addition to the zoning ordinance, the city has sign, building and construction ordinances to help preserve the city's aesthetics and image, Whitsell said.

According to the sign ordinance, signs cannot be put in the public right of way, and façade or attached signs may not project “above the principal roof of the building.”

When a sign is illuminated, the lights must be shaded or concealed so they don't interfere with the vision of drivers or shine on a residence, the ordinance states.

The ordinance does not permit portable and mobile signs.

City Administrator Jed Dillingham said he believes regulations from the city are in place, but Troup will confer with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission to ensure it is doing what it needs to do.

They are “still just early in the game,” he said. “Once the votes are canvassed (on May 24), that's where the city's responsibility and authority with the election ends. After that, it will be up to whatever individual or corporation.”

Individuals or corporations may apply for alcohol licenses with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission after Troup canvasses election results.

In the meantime, residents had mixed reactions to Saturday's election results.

Complete but unofficial results showed that 171 people, or 57 percent, voted for beer and wine sales, while 127 people, or 43 percent, voted against it. On the sale of alcoholic beverages, 166 people, or 56 percent, voted for it, while 130 people, or 44 percent, voted against it.

Longtime Troup resident Gayle Bruner, who works at Harry's Building Materials, was pleased with the results.

“I think it's great. I think it's what this little town needs,” she said, adding that Troup residents now will spend money in town instead of driving somewhere else to purchase alcohol.
She said she does not think alcohol will attract adult video stores or similar establishments as some opponents in the election suggested.

Albert Johnson, who owns AJ's Place, a Troup tobacco shop, said he is in favor of the town growing and increasing its infrastructure.

“The town's been stagnant a long time because people would not allow it to grow,” he said. “I have no concerns. I think it will be good for the city, and hopefully it'll be good for me.”

He added: “Everybody seems to be pretty good with it. All the customers who come into the store are glad it passed. They've been looking forward to it. … They'll be able to get it local.”
Besides keeping revenue from alcohol sales in Troup, the newly approved alcohol measures also will draw revenue from outside Troup, Johnson said.

“If Troup is closer (than somewhere else), hopefully that's where they'll come,” he said.
But not all residents are pleased with the election results.

Paul Saylors, pastor of First Baptist Church in Troup, said on Saturday before final results were in that he would be disappointed if the alcohol initiatives passed.

“I simply hope we can once again keep alcohol and its influence out of our community,” he has said. “(If it passed) I believe there will be a number of folks who will start working to have it repealed.”

Troup school board member Bill Lacy said he, too, was disappointed, but the majority won.
He said proponents have talked about more progress for Troup and more tax revenue, but he believes alcohol is not the way to get that.

“I think we'd get more revenue if we built more homes in Troup and got more families to come in,” he said. “I think that does more for tax revenue than anything.”

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-17-2011 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Default The City of Athens Prepares to Go Wet

From KYTX CBS 19

ATHENS -- Voters approved closed container sales of beer and wine Saturday, making the city wet for the first time in decades.

A yes vote is only the first step in wet/dry elections. Cities still have to draft ordinances that govern the sale of alcohol and interested businesses still have to go through the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission for a license.

Some liquor stores in neighboring towns aren't happy about having to compete with alcohol in Athens. Just 15 miles down highway 175, CJ's liquor in Gun Barrel City has spent 24 years quenching Athens' thirst.

"The way I look at it, it's going to hurt us too," CJ's owner Rick Te said.

Owner Rick Te says it was hard enough losing customers in Malakoff and Payne Springs. He says a town as large as Athens could more than double the 30% decline CJ's has already seen.

It could happen soon. Athens city administrator Pam Burton says the only ordinance they need for the city to go wet is already on the books. The question is, what's the city's cut once the liquor flows?

"Any time there's additional sales, there's going to be an increase," Burton said. "If we get five to ten percent, that would be good."

The city may not have long to wait, as competition to meet demand heats up.

"Athens was not going anywhere," Marie Weisinger said. "They need to develop more."

Weisinger grew up in Athens, and she's been at CJ's since the doors opened.

"With the gas prices the way they are, people are going to try and save any way they can," Weisinger said.

She worries her most faithful customers will stop making the drive -- opting for the convenience of grabbing a six pack or a bottle of wine at one of the city's big retailers.

"I hope it doesn't hurt this business, but I think it will," Weisinger said.

Athens' Walmart and Brookshire's both say they'll be stocking beer and wine in the near future, but there's no timeline in place yet.

Athens voters *also* approved the sale of mixed drinks in restaurants. That change will be a small one, because area restaurants already sell liquor under private club laws.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:21 PM

419 posts, read 994,223 times
Quote:
There is a bar outside on the patio. They also serve it behind a bar inside the store along with Gelatto (Italian Ice Cream for those not in the know). Sounds kinda cosmopolitan (as them dern city folk say) if you ask me, & no, I'm not talking about the drink.
Yep. Gelato was cosmopolitan back in 1994, along with Milli Vanilli. A bar at a grocery store does not sound cosmopolitan. It sounds sad.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
Yep. Gelato was cosmopolitan back in 1994, along with Milli Vanilli. A bar at a grocery store does not sound cosmopolitan. It sounds sad.
Jealousy's a ***** ain't it?

Milli Vanilli was cosmo?

Blame it on the rain. I'm just the messenger.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,950,409 times
Quote:
The city limits sign after you cross the long bridge over Lake Palestine to get to the liquor stores clearly states Coffee City/Henderson County. Not quite sure how you could get there & Noonday, 8 miles north confused if you lived in Tyler 30 years like me. Interesting...
You go right through Noonday to get to Fat Dog, its just on the other side of Noonday, right as you enter Coffee City. What is so confusing about that?

Edit: While we're BSing, I just googled Kiloland and they're actually listed under a Frankston address, so you're incorrect yourself.

Quote:
Did you know there is a new Brookshires "Fresh" Market in Tyler off of Old Jacksonville Highway now where you can get hammered while shopping for your groceries? Yep, no "Membership cards" required there either & its considered a private entity. They even have bar tenders serving ice cold beer out on the patio which over looks the parking lot everyone enters through...wait, we could'n't be talking about the conservative/bible thumping/old Southern Baptist TYLER, TEXAS you thought you knew could we?!!!
Say cat, stop making these presumptive statements about what I think of Tyler. I dont know whats wrong with you today, or what you're reading when you look at my posts, but I never said Tyler is the "conservative Bible thumping blah blah blah". I said it has some lame liquor laws and as far back as I can remember it has, period. All that other that you're inferring from my statements about "Conservative, Bible toting what not" and all that is your own self conscience telling you that people have that sentiment towards the city. Tyler was conservative when I was growing up there and I didnt have a problem with it, but Ive even openly stated it has changed some since then, which in some ways is even better. That said, its not the Wild and Wacky microcosm of San Franscisco YOU think it is either. But I tell people all the time that Tyler is nowhere NEAR a true conservative, religious city. Ive lived in cities that were over the top conservative and Tyler isnt even close to being one of them.

Last edited by solytaire; 05-17-2011 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,041,234 times
Quote:
Did you know there is a new Brookshires "Fresh" Market in Tyler off of Old Jacksonville Highway now where you can get hammered while shopping for your groceries?
Come again? You're telling me you can walk around the grocery store with a drink in hand and they won't care? I hate going grocery shopping so that would make it so much better.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Come again? You're telling me you can walk around the grocery store with a drink in hand and they won't care? I hate going grocery shopping so that would make it so much better.
Damn skippy!

I'll do a little grocery shopping there & take some pics to prove it to you non believers. Who knows maybe I'll even splurge on some freshly steamed lobster tails & let the butcher cook them up for me & grab some Gelatto for dessert after I've had my fill of freshly imported lobster tail, crab, & Anchor Steam.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 PM

347 posts, read 464,719 times
Fresh has the best root beer that I've ever tried.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Welcome to the 21st Century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas