U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 AM

199 posts, read 234,036 times

Advertisements

I understand that Amarillo has good air, the best in tx. Paritcal and ozone is suppose to be one of the best in the county. I like to take my dog on walks but in Phoenix AZ I have to get up at 4:30 in the morning to try and beat the ozone so I'm thinking of moving to Amarillo just so I can breath clean air. My lungs arn't the best so I'm thinking mostly of my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 AM

14,401 posts, read 20,713,263 times
It is good, and there are several other places that are as good.

Air Quality Index - Texas Commission on Environmental Quality - www.tceq.state.tx.us

i had a favorable impression of the city the last two times I stopped overnight there while driving to Colorado and back.

Of course part of the reason the air is so clean is the wind blows any pollutants away so they don't accumulate.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:19 AM

2,313 posts, read 1,831,033 times
The air is as clean and sweet as strawberry sherbert in Sanderson

Old 05-27-2011, 05:15 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,722,838 times
As you might expect, it's better during years of normal or above normal precipitation. 2011 so far is not one of those. Even so, it definitely beats Phoenix or any city in TX with its own forum on this site.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 5,466 times
The constant wind keeps the air feeling fairly fresh. You have to be prepared to deal with the wind, though. Because it is CONSTANT; I mean it blows daily, year round. The humidity is relatively low for Texas, and so is the general allergies.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 AM

136 posts, read 125,939 times
I hope you decided to move here! The air quality is great. However 2011 broke all kinds of records with the heat and drought. This did bring about more dust than usual due to the extraordinary high winds in the spring. Even in a normal year, Amarillo is windy in the spring and early summer. Rarely, do we experience days without any wind. When it does happen, it seems odd. But, I love the wind. Where I grew up, it was hot and muggy during the summer with no wind and I hated it. My allergies killed me. Here, I don't have any trouble with allergies. The only air problem you may experience is the occasional odor of the feedlots down in Hereford. You can get a whiff of that from time to time. Otherwise, head on out here. You'll be glad you did.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 1,966 times
I'm in Sun City and have one lung and am considering moving to Amarillo as well. I know there is some wind, but other than that I know very little.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,330,716 times
The wind usually dies down about sundown, and even on the hottest days of summer the temperature drops in the evenings - makes for very nice summer evenings. We noticed in Amarillo that people were out every evening walking, biking, sitting on the patio - not so in East Texas - you can never leave the A/C in the summer! Winters are cold but the low humidity makes it tolerable and the sun shines most of the time even when it's cold.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:44 PM

26 posts, read 33,541 times
I have lived in Amarillo all my life & I think the air quality is very good compared to some of the bigger cities. We are at around 3000 ft elevation & the wind does blow some. Early spring it blows a lot but I must say this year in August & Sept. have been the most beautiful days I can remember in a long long time. It was hot (but not as hot as previous years) in July & we had hot, still days then too but mostly in Aug. & Sept. My allergies have not been bad this year at all.
This drought has been bad on everybody that has had to live with it but maybe we are coming out of it.
Come on to Amarillo & sit outside later in the evenings when the sun is going down or early in the mornings. You'll be glad you made the move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas