Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times

Advertisements

Lubbock is a medium-smallish city with some actual dynamism to it, largely thanks to Texas Tech (IMO). It has more to offer within itself than either Abilene or Longview. Longview would be the prettiest in traditional terms (green, trees, rain, no dust storms), but I don't think Shreveport is a particularly great resource unless you just want to go across the state line to gamble. You do have proximity to Tyler, TX for additional shopping and restaurants. That area of Texas isn't exactly cosmopolitan -- neither are Abilene and Lubbock, of course, but in Lubbock people are often very oriented to vacationing in New Mexico and Colorado, both of which are within decent driving proximity, whereas that's not true from East Texas.

If salary were the same, I'd definitely choose Lubbock. If a nicer natural environment is the foremost issue, I'd choose Longview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
I've been to all of them and I'd go with Lubbock. Offers more oppurtunities, amenities, people, seems the most progressive and overall a nice city. Longview wins in location and scenery. Abilene is just there.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:36 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Longview would be the prettiest in traditional terms (green, trees, rain, no dust storms), but I don't think Shreveport is a particularly great resource unless you just want to go across the state line to gamble. You do have proximity to Tyler, TX for additional shopping and restaurants.
Out of curiosity, why would you choose to do your additional shopping in Tyler instead of Shreveport? Shreveport isn't much further away and Shreveport / Bossier City are much larger. I think it's a pretty good resource even if I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
The difference in humidity alone would cause me to choose Lubbock or Abilene over Longview but some people are less affected humidity than others.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Lubbock is only about 4 hours from the Rocky Mountains and skiing in New Mexico. That would be a plus to me.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:09 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,780 times
I'm from Abilene and I've lived here for many years. I also lived in Lubbock for a few years while attending Texas Tech. Generally speaking, Abilene is a good place to live for families, not so great for single people like me...lol. The public schools here are pretty good too. Abilene is about a 2 hour drive from DFW and about a 3-4 hour drive to the Hill Country area, so that's a plus. Lubbock is larger and there are a lot more things to do there for both families and single people. As a result, I personally prefer Lubbock. On the other hand, Lubbock is further from the other major metro areas in Texas. The climates of the two cities are similar, however, it's a little colder in Lubbock in the winter. As mentioned above, Lubbock is much closer to the ski resorts in New Mexico, so I guess it just depends on what your friends like to do. I don't know anything about Longview. It's one of the few cities in Texas I've never been to.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:59 AM

113 posts, read 296,874 times
I would say Lubbock because of Texas Tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas