U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2011, 04:19 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,273,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
You can always rent a car when going to load up on cheap stuff at a Wal-Mart or Costco..
Give us some rough figures. What would it cost to rent a car to go to Costco, how much would you save by buying at Costco instead of an easily accessible supermarket, and how long does it take to go to the car rental agency, pick up a car, then return it to the agency and go back home?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM

1,519 posts, read 3,487,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Give us some rough figures. What would it cost to rent a car to go to Costco, how much would you save by buying at Costco instead of an easily accessible supermarket, and how long does it take to go to the car rental agency, pick up a car, then return it to the agency and go back home?
It depends on so much. First, never rent from an airport -- they're always more expensive. There are car rental places downtown that you can simply walk to. For example, there is an Avis next to the Metropolitan condo building. And there are some in Old East Dallas too.

I've rented cars for as low as $14 per day. Lately, they've been a lot more expensive. I know some people who will rent a car with their friends, and then make the trip up to one of the big box stores for a lot of groceries and other items. They did this when they lived in Philly and NYC as well.

Regrettably, there are few grocery stores accessible by the train or bus. There is one grocery store downtown and a couple accessible by the train or trolley. It's going to take you a lot longer to travel in mass transit though. But that is the same as it is anywhere.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,273,681 times
Quote:

Regrettably, there are few grocery stores accessible by the train or bus. .
That's interesting. Here in Victoria, there are four supermarkets, and there is a bus stop at the front door of all four of them, every thirty minutes, and when I ride the bus, it seems like about half the passengers are going to a supermarket.

I guess that's the difference between a small city and a big one. When I chose my apartment, being within a half-hour walk of a supermarket was practically the only factor in considering the location.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM

14,319 posts, read 20,118,943 times
Dallas (and maybe Fort Worth) is probably the best. Anywhere further south you will turn in a sweaty mess while waiting out in the heat and humidity and rain for the bus to show up, not to mention walking even a mile in the heat.

I speak from experience riding the bus in Austin TX while in college.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-10-2011 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 PM

420 posts, read 325,808 times
Quote:
Regrettably, there are few grocery stores accessible by the train or bus.
Thankfully, here in Fort Worth, a good number of ours are. And, with the new Wal-Mart opening at Berry and 287 next year, the situation will only get better.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:21 PM

1,519 posts, read 3,487,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
Thankfully, here in Fort Worth, a good number of ours are. And, with the new Wal-Mart opening at Berry and 287 next year, the situation will only get better.
Ok -- they're accessible by bus. I mean more of the train. How many grocery stores are accessible by train in FW?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:57 AM

420 posts, read 325,808 times
Quote:
Ok -- they're accessible by bus. I mean more of the train. How many grocery stores are accessible by train in FW?
Well, considering how we don't have light rail like Dallas... and only have the western half of the TRE... none.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM

6,584 posts, read 10,480,540 times
I don't even bother taking the train into downtown Fort Worth because the station is SO far removed from the rest of the city. You end up walking half a mile through a dark area to get to Sundance Square, and when the parking garages are free after 5 PM and all day on weekends, there's just no point!

Also, to get from the train to the cultural district involves changing to a bus, and then taking the scenic tour of downtown, etc... No thanks.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 PM

995 posts, read 988,577 times
The ghost town of Belgrade. No need to drive, there are no roads left (wink).

Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,790,520 times
Texas is a fairly young State so you won't find the extensive mass transports systems here.

In terms of best transit Houston and DFW would be the best. Houston has a very extensive bus system but complaints are made about frequency and run times. The good thing about Houston is that most times, all you need is clustered in residential areas, so your butt does not need to live that area unless you have friends who live far away.

Houston Bus System:

DFW has a less extensive bus system, but a more extensive rail system.

San Antonio has the next most extensive bus system, but it is not adequate. Getting around takes a hella lot of time because of zoning issues.Living close to downtown puts you in close proximity to a lot of bars and stuff but you will be hell a ways from major grocery stores, home improvement stores, many food chains like chilies etc. Amenities in San Antonio are the most spread out in Texas.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-x4A5KAgwmtq2Q_Rxt75jgMooXc_OUKtCsAafatUBcEBtwOS4VQ (broken link)

Austin doesn't really have an extensive system, but it has been rapidly improving in the last few years.

anyway, I know quite a few people in all 4 cities who live without cars.Contrary to popular belief, many people do live in Texas without cars. The systems may not be the best, but millions of people still use them to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas