Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM

556 posts, read 1,563,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
You sure about "lush"? Not even West Fort Worth is lush. It's like completely barren on I-20 heading west towards Weatherford. Maybe you live in the oasis or something.
And maybe I do......my "lush" is relative to the area....but I am surrounding by towering 300 yr old live oaks, red oaks, and gorgeous mixed hardwoods.

You would laugh if you saw my "completely barren" backyard.

I'm constantly amazed at folks who do not really explore Texas and get to know the various ecological regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
And maybe I do......my "lush" is relative to the area....but I am surrounding by towering 300 yr old live oaks, red oaks, and gorgeous mixed hardwoods.

You would laugh if you saw my "completely barren" backyard.

I'm constantly amazed at folks who do not really explore Texas and get to know the various ecological regions.
I am, too....

Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I sweat a lot, so it matters to me. I think 102 and 114 are different, even if 102 is already hot. 114 with the humidity in DFW would be horrible...I remember the 113 F in 1980!

(It was 11,000 degrees F on the Sun today, but that's OK. It was a dry heat.)
yeah it is silly. Heat is heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm beginning to think hot is just plain hot and it bites!
and you would be right. making the 113 magically feeling like 102 does little for me. It is still feeling like 102 which is still hella hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
I heard Houston gets more rain too, but it's only rained one time at my house since January. Maybe this is unusual, but Houston is very dry right now. You guys up in Dallas have been getting a lot more rain than us!
This year is not normal. The Bayous are drying up I am not accustomed to seeing dry areas in the bayou in my area. It is something else when the turtles and snakes decide they are gonna pack up and leave.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah it is silly. Heat is heat.
I think you misinterpreted my point. Humidity makes a huge difference to me. Generally speaking, DFW feels better at 100 F than Houston does at 90 F to me. I like to be where sweat can evaporate and do some good, like Far West TX or NM.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I think you misinterpreted my point. Humidity makes a huge difference to me. Generally speaking, DFW feels better at 100 F than Houston does at 90 F to me. I like to be where sweat can evaporate and do some good, like Far West TX or NM.
Same here! I've been roaming my yard taking care of things in 105, and am actually enjoying it. Extreme humidity feels like it's hastening my death.

I'm constantly amazed that after the sun dips it feels so perfectly cool and comfortable......I would swear it was upper 70's. Check the temperature, and it's 92.

I love the intense green that humidity brings, but just can't live in it (and I have when I was younger).

Old 06-19-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
I love the intense green that humidity brings, but just can't live in it (and I have when I was younger).
The "intense green" isn't worth the downside in my opinion. It was 105 and humid in Fort Worth yesterday, and I was out in it but not enjoying it much. It may get all the way down to 80 degrees tonight.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
The "intense green" isn't worth the downside in my opinion. It was 105 and humid in Fort Worth yesterday, and I was out in it but not enjoying it much. It may get all the way down to 80 degrees tonight.
And Catman, our humidity in this region is laughable, but I hear you! I love the intense green......so I tour East Texas backroads mostly from the comfort of my air-conditioned car. It's beautiful that way!

It's a humid morning in Parker County, and this still feels like a desert compared to when I lived in east, southeast, or south central Texas.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I can only go by my own experience having lived in Austin, North Texas and Southeast Texas (among other areas of the State, but those aren't the subject of discussion here). Austin is humid but IME Houston and Beaumont are far more so. The Dallas-Fort Worth-Denton area feels much less humid to me normally than either Austin or Houston and the SE Texas triangle.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:56 AM

It's all relative (like incest). The DFW area is arid compared to Houston and the Southeast, but a tropical rain forest compared to El Paso.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:56 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I've never heard Dallas anywhere at anytime be described as a "dry heat." I can't even walk around my block without perspiring in the summer.

Houston, Dallas, and Austin weather and humidity are all pretty comparable. I think Houston's might be higher by a couple of percentage points, but hardly a difference worth noting.

Texas's humidity doesn't start to show mercy until around Abilene and westward. If I could change anything about DFW, I'd wish we had West Texas weather. It can be 100 degrees in Midland or Lubbock, but it's a very tolerable 100 degrees.
Thats true. Here in San Angelo its been hitting 107 quite a bit but the humidity has only been about 18 percent when it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas