Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote Perry for President?
Yes 23 17.83%
No 95 73.64%
Maybe 11 8.53%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,946,815 times

Advertisements

I can't envision a Romney-Perry ticket. Too much good hair and two looky-like guys. And I can't imagine the Republicans will be suicidal enough to nominate anyone besides Mitten (who will be defeated in the general election anyway); and they haven't the good sense to nominate Huntsman, a guy who might actually have the broad appeal to win. I could only imagine Rick the Dick paired with another whack job like Mad Michele.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,870,851 times
Texas proves that evolution can go in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
No one outside of Texas would vote for Perry. Besides the dozens of other reasons he shouldn't be president, he is from Texas and that is all someone outside the state needs to hear. Dubbyas presidency virtually guarantees that no Texan will even be president again.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,536,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
No ,didn't Texas Monthly say he's all hat n no cattle
Texas Monthly has been a shill for ultra-liberal causes for the last 4 decades. It consistently criticizes liberal Texas legislators for not being left wing enough. The magazine is little more than a statewide version of the Nation with a lifestyles section.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I won't waste my time talking about how bad Texas ranks in virtually every category. Let's keep it simple. Why would anyone vote for someone for president who has been so outspoken for Texas to secede? He is clearly the most polarizing politician today. McCain/Palin was a circus act for the GOP. I can't imagine how great Perry would make them look. I don't think the GOP wants him anyway.
There are a lot of GOP voters who are tired of the welfare state. Secession would simplify a lot of matters. Post-secession, states that want a massive welfare state can enroll all the new beneficiaries they want to. States that do not can erase the New Deal and Great Society federal mandates. States that don't want a large defense establishment can zero out their defense expenditures and revert to mandatory levies in time of war. States that believe defense is and should largely be limited to the patrolling of the nation's waters and airspace can trim defense expenditures accordingly. The major benefit from the separation of red states from blue states is that each can more or less do as it wants without interference from an unelected Federal bureaucracy. Giving that the ending of the Union would simultaneously zero out our military obligations across the globe, I'd expect a peace dividend amounting to $5T over the next decade or so.

Secession also means that the next time Muslim extremists decide to attack New York City because of its alleged decadence, Texans don't have to show up in exotic foreign climes to exact some payback on New York's behalf. Note that Texas has lost 535 military dead, compared to New York's 262. Why is that? Shouldn't New Yorkers be a little more enthused? And if they're not, why should Texans be bothered?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,444,449 times
I've read that Texas gets back 97 cents for every dollar it pays to the federal government, but that is not the case for other red states in the Deep South. Those states couldn't survive without the other states. It's the poorest region, the fattest region, and the region that depends the most on food stamps.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I've read that Texas gets back 97 cents for every dollar it pays to the federal government, but that is not the case for other red states in the Deep South. Those states couldn't survive without the other states. It's the poorest region, the fattest region, and the region that depends the most on food stamps.
I expect that the post-secession order would be accompanied by significant exchanges of population. Red states would see the elimination of many welfare programs, triggering a flight of indigents to the blue states. Blue states would see significant increases in welfare state beneficiaries, resulting in tax hikes and the flight of both jobs and economically-productive people to the red states.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,444,449 times
And those people moving to red states for jobs would bring their ideologies with them. Or the blue states could just build a wall keeping out the poor people from the red states.

Last edited by L210; 07-01-2011 at 01:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas