U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,623,231 times
Montirob, could it be that you heard $2b from the rainy day fund was being funded back into the budget? It still leaves the state short so that is the reason for the cuts. Even if the state "increases" from this it would take a few years to be back at the level of spending we need to be at. That is the fear, that the states will say "Well, you managed to educate this past year with less" and continue to cut each year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM

1,071 posts, read 868,885 times
I think Austin is somewhat detatched from what is really going on in public schools. Viewing the situation from their ivory towers up there in Austin. I can totally see timed tests for HS kids because they are, hopefully, about to enter college where critical thinking is at it's highest. 7,8,9,10 year old kids cmon gimme a break. Heard a co-worker say that kids who were commended on TAKS would be the ones to pass STAAR. Everyone else...not so much. I am a co-teacher with spec ed guys and I am very worried about them this coming year with all these changes. Poor guys. Well, I guess I'd rather be displaced than unemployed at this point. Hope it all gets settled and we can get on with business. Hope our campuses survive Are you elementary? If so I think the biggest change will be in reading. Math and Science not so much.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM

676 posts, read 861,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Montirob, could it be that you heard $2b from the rainy day fund was being funded back into the budget? It still leaves the state short so that is the reason for the cuts. Even if the state "increases" from this it would take a few years to be back at the level of spending we need to be at. That is the fear, that the states will say "Well, you managed to educate this past year with less" and continue to cut each year.
No. I copied the text verbatim from his "weekly recap" email he sends out. I don't know if HE was using the $2b when writing it... I'm really curious HOW the figures were being derived. See 82nd Legislative Session - Weekly recap #22 - iContact Community

I completely agree that the fear is very justified. The sad thing is that the districts HAVE been trimming for years... ever since the 2006 property tax shell game the legislature pulled.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Irish, I am middle school level. Yes, I heard the same thing, that those who are not commended will have a difficult time with this test. That leaves alot of kids who are A, B students who may have a difficult time passing much less spec ed students. Has the potential to be a huge mess. I wonder if the need for summer school will go up next year as a result. That alone will tax the school districts even more.
True, displaced is better than losing a job. One schools loss will be another schools gain I guess.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:31 PM

YouTube - ‪Northside ISD Finance - Plain and Simple‬‏

Montirob, I sometimes get lost in all the numbers thrown around, but this video helped break it down for me. Yeah sucks schools are still functioning on that 2006 level when we all know schools are functioning at a higher level than that 2006 rate. Once they fix how public education is funded then hopefully we won't be in the mess we are in now. Man I haven't even thought about summer school for those that don't pass. Geez those numbers will be huge and yeah who is going to pay for that??? Yeah an average kid pulling B's might not make it at all. I have always wondered why have these tests? Why not have a test in the beginning of the year, one around Christmas, and an end of the year test to show progress/regress? DEFINTELY can be a huge mess.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:56 PM

when you factor in the cost for summer school for extra students and what it costs to hire extra staff the state will be in for a shock I think. Parents now pay for summer school if it is just a class that the student fails, but if it is related to TAKS or now STAAR, the districts pay for it....

Old 06-17-2011, 03:40 PM

I guess 6th and up they have to pay? I know fifth doesn't have to pay in NISD. So if a kid fails 8 Science the district picks it up? And if they fail 7th SS the parent pays? Am I understanding that right? I know in 5th, which I teach, the parents do not pay at all.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:29 PM

1,105 posts, read 825,221 times
I have one question: If so many people loathe Perry, why do you keep putting him in office? That man is the poster child for term limits in this state. This current education fiasco and many others too numerous to name could have been curtailed or outright halted if we would limit the amount of time one person can be governor.

That man cares nothing and I mean NOTHING for the common man. Every law that he's enacted has been to the detriment of the middle class and a huge benefit to the corporations (Google "Rick Perry" and "tort reform"). Now he's cutting education, the very thing that is most valuable to a society such as ours. He's doing this so he can say he didn't raise taxes on his business cronies, all at the expense of the state's youth. Sad to say the least.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 AM

Agreed. The only way to even consider change is to remove that man from office. Well hopefully he'll run for President and his focus can be on that and not the ruining of our great state. This was in this morning's news.
GOP's Perry team forming Iowa plans | kens5.com San Antonio

Old 06-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Let's just hope he doesn't get elected as a President!!! But we sure do need a new governor.

@BlackIrish...this is the first year that parents have had to start paying for summer school. To my knowledge let's say a student does not pass their math class, they would have to take math in summer school at their expense. Now if a child does not pass the required TAKS (or STAAR) tests for that grade level they attend summer school but the district picks up the tab. Not sure about elem but I know it's that way for middle and high school. I am also curious to see how STAAR ALT will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas