Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What separates Houston from the others is:

1.Near the coast
2.Geography [the others are more dry and hilly]
3.Culturally [Houston is more culturally connected to the Gulf Coast than Texas imo]
4.Very Diverse [Dallas is as well, but it's significantly segregated and diversity is still relatively new].
5.Skyline - Many skyscraper clusters all around the city give it really big and powerful feeling. Dallas doesn't give me that feeling.

I believe I think like this because I'm from Waco and was much more familiar with Dallas than Houston. Houston embraces the southern/Texan culture while Dallas avoids it. However, Dallas still feels very much like a Texan to me. Dallas literally does give off the vibe of "country folks just trying to be city".
I agree with everything except the last sentence. Im going to catch heat for what Im about to say, but that seems to apply more to the southern portion of the city rather than the entire city. There is absoultely nothing country about the northern side of Dallas.

Other than that, those 5 points you make are pretty dead on in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 PM

491 posts, read 882,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I know what Houston has going for it...Galveston.
Winner for most bizarre comment.

I guess the proper retort here would be: "I know what DFW has going for it...Denton."

Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post

I guess the proper retort here would be: "I know what DFW has going for it...Denton."
Hahaha, Denton is actually a pretty cool town.

But youre right, saying thats what DFW has going for it is a strech. Same with Galveston and Houston.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post

Don't take that comment too seriously, just having fun.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 PM

6,620 posts, read 9,832,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I agree with everything except the last sentence. Im going to catch heat for what Im about to say, but that seems to apply more to the southern portion of the city rather than the entire city. There is absoultely nothing country about the northern side of Dallas.

Other than that, those 5 points you make are pretty dead on in my opinion.
WOW! There's nothing country about the south side of Dallas. If people actually spend time down here they wouldn't be thinking this.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
What separates Houston from the others is:

1.Near the coast
2.Geography [the others are more dry and hilly]
3.Culturally [Houston is more culturally connected to the Gulf Coast than Texas imo]
4.Very Diverse [Dallas is as well, but it's significantly segregated and diversity is still relatively new].
5.Skyline - Many skyscraper clusters all around the city give it really big and powerful feeling. Dallas doesn't give me that feeling.

I believe I think like this because I'm from Waco and was much more familiar with Dallas than Houston. Houston embraces the southern/Texan culture while Dallas avoids it. However, Dallas still feels very much like a Texan to me. Dallas literally does give off the vibe of "country folks just trying to be city".
"country folks just trying to be city" LOL.

I'm sure they think the same thing about Waco. (no offense)

Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
WOW! There's nothing country about the south side of Dallas. If people actually spend time down here they wouldn't be thinking this.
I do from time to time. There are areas of Pleasant Grove (like say, along Illinois Ave close to 45) that feel like a run down part of Mississippi to me.

Im no expert every area of South Dallas, but there are parts that feel country to me.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 07-19-2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
"country folks just trying to be city" LOL.

I'm sure they think the same thing about Waco. (no offense)
The difference is we know we're country. I don't think half of you people even know the meaning of country to begin with. the lifestyle in Waco is pretty much synonymous with those in Dallas. Country is how you carry yourself or act; a person from Dallas or Houston doesn't stand out in Waco. You guys do nothing "city"; you just happen to live in a bigger city and more access to more things. That's it.

This thread is just full of people who think too highly of themselves. Dallas folks come off more country because they're living a lifestyle that neither matches their personality nor city. Houston embraces everything from the south to Mexico to Texas. It isn't embarrassed or ashamed of its roots.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Sadly, I do from time to time. There are areas of Pleasant Grove (like say, along Illinois Ave close to 45) that feel like a run down part of Mississippi to me.
Maybe because the city doesn't fix it up like North Dallas. I live of off Kiest Boulevard it's a ok area. I'm trying to figure out why the southern areas of Dallas are neglected and northern areas aren't. In my neighborhood it takes forever for the city to come out and fix simple things like potholes. My mother told me back in the early 70s South Oak Cliff was a beautiful area. She said when she moved here blacks were proud to be from South Oak Cliff. During the mid 60s the demographics changed rapidly. When whites started to move out from this area the houses were less than 10 years old. When South Oak Cliff High School opened in 1952 it was 100% white by 1967-1970 the school was 100% black.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
The difference is we know we're country. I don't think half of you people even know the meaning of country to begin with. the lifestyle in Waco is pretty much synonymous with those in Dallas. Country is how you carry yourself or act; a person from Dallas or Houston doesn't stand out in Waco. You guys do nothing "city"; you just happen to live in a bigger city and more access to more things. That's it.

This thread is just full of people who think too highly of themselves. Dallas folks come off more country because they're living a lifestyle that neither matches their personality nor city. Houston embraces everything from the south to Mexico to Texas. It isn't embarrassed or ashamed of its roots.
What roots? How can you embrace your roots, when you don't know what it is?

There's a difference between Dallas folk and country folk. I've been in the country. They act nothing like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas