Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I don't think Houston proper grew much if any over the past 10 years.

The metro (suburbs) exploded no doubt, but I don't think it grew at the same rate as DFW suburbs.
it actually did. Almost 200k is a hella lot of people. Almost half the total population of miami and 15times as much as Dallas grew. It was almost as much as FW and San Antonio grew, and more than austin. Of course all these other Texas cities are smaller. So 200K gives Austin and SA a bigger boost than it does to Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Almost 200k is a hella lot of people.
Your California is showing.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Your California is showing.
sorry

Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I'd kinda like to know that, too. Born in San Antone and raised in other great cities and some in west Texas, I moved to Houston when I was twenty-one, but had lived there some before that. I always found Houston to be the most dynamic, open and interesting city of any in Texas. I did leave 25 years later but only for adventure. I think that's what I learned in Houston, to go for the adventure and finally had to move in - to - it.

I would think the Houston area - southeast Texas - bears more Texas history than any other part of the state.
Now i believe you on that! There is a lot of histoy along the gulf coast and eastern region of texas.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
People who bash Houston normally just don't like the fact that it feels fundamentally different from other cities in Texas. It's more international, faster-paced, and diverse than other cities in Texas and some people don't like these characteristics.
Frankly, lots of people are going to dislike areas that are as racially and ethnically diverse as Houston. Problems that go along with diversity such as poverty further turn people off. It's too real and gritty for lots of people.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Frankly, lots of people are going to dislike areas that are as racially and ethnically diverse as Houston. Problems that go along with diversity such as poverty further turn people off. It's too real and gritty for lots of people.
Nope, can't go along with that. Almost any small town has as much diversity as Houston and the extremity of it is more obvious and in your face than that of a large city. There may be a greater quantity of racial diversity, but the disparity is worse in small town america and thus more "real and gritty".

The slums of a small town and it's mayor or founder's house is much farther apart than the inner city vs suburbs of Houston.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times
I thought the Texans were in Houston? Does the whole team feel this way or just some of em? Just doesn't make sense!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Nope, can't go along with that. Almost any small town has as much diversity as Houston and the extremity of it is more obvious and in your face than that of a large city.
Now, that statement is just incorrect. Over 100 languages are spoken in Houston. I doubt one generally hears Russian in the Walmart in Salado. Come on, man....

Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Nope, can't go along with that. Almost any small town has as much diversity as Houston and the extremity of it is more obvious and in your face than that of a large city. There may be a greater quantity of racial diversity, but the disparity is worse in small town america and thus more "real and gritty".

The slums of a small town and it's mayor or founder's house is much farther apart than the inner city vs suburbs of Houston.
Houston is quite easily THE most diverse major city in the South. More so than Dallas, Atlanta, & Miami.

You're really going to compare small town America to Houston? Seriously?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 PM

236 posts, read 552,693 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I have never bashed any city in Texas. Because I find it stupid to bash a city that's in the same state as the city you live in. We should have pride for every part of Texas not just one. Let me stop before I get mad LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas