Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times

Advertisements

Hey Belle, when I moved back to Texas after being in other states ( and never gave up my Tx Dl) I got to the DPS office the day after it expired and I had to take the whole test over again, written and the driving part. Passed the whole thing with flying colors except the backing up. ( I backed up looking in the rearview mirror never turned my head which she said is a no no)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 10:34 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
neddy mine dont expire till dec and i am moving in a few weeks

Old 09-11-2006, 12:06 AM

37 posts, read 128,196 times
I have a quick question for TGM (or anyone else who may know). What are the laws regarding transporting fire arms across state lines. My husband has several guns here in Cali (legal/registered) and we are not sure what the process is when we move to TX. Is he allowed to bring them in to the state? Is their a time frame to register them in TX? Not really sure how this works. Thanks so much!!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:06 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I would definitely go to an 'official' source. Not that TGM might not know the answer (he probably does), but there could be issues in-between there and here, and you might leave out some 'insignificant' detail that can affect the answer. Shotguns, in general, are still treated separately, if I remember correctly.

On a side note, Austin Police Department has always been very professional in my limited contact. I have directly and indirectly dealt with other departments (mostly from smaller towns, although Houston, too), and they didn't compare.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:58 AM

679 posts, read 2,833,667 times
laguna, I was wondering the same thing. I have a weapon I have to transport as well (was Police Officer). When I transported the weapon from Indiana to California, I called the State Police. I was told that you pack the weapon away, unloaded, and the ammo has to be in a separate location. Now, whether everything is still the same, 26 years later, I am not sure. Call the State Police.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 AM

37 posts, read 128,196 times
Thanks trainwreck and texasdreamin. I think I will give the PD a call just to make sure we don't do anything in the transport to get in trouble(don't want to start our Texas life off on the wrong foot!). I did check out the TX gun laws online and they seem a little more relaxed than they are here in CA. Hubby is so happy, he is in love with TX already, just his kind of state!

Old 09-12-2006, 01:10 PM

17 posts, read 322,417 times
Thanks for eveyone's help. As soon as I take my Pharmacy test(and pass) that will be one, I can get a DL, register to vote and open a checking account and then I will have my 4

As far as the gun laws goes ( no I don't own a gun) I was wondering if they are as liberal as Arizona. That state seems scary with people all carrying weapons that are loaded.

There was a guy who shot a man in the park and killed him. He claimed the man's dogs went after him and scared him. Yet the man had no bites,etc. Even if it was true, wouldn't you shoot the dogs not the man? Well, they didn't charge the shooter man. They said he was acting in self defense. That is just way too scary to even think like that.

Coming from Ohio, people don't carry weapons and if they do it is not the norm. Cops do and criminals do and that is about it. Out west it seems like it is normal

Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,667 times
There's probably more to that story than is known. I don't think there is any way that guy could have got off of a murder conviction unless it was genuinely self defense, as they reported. Even under that defense, there are stringent rules before it can even be classified as self defense.

I live in the west, but I don't carry my weapon anywhere. License expired. I just have it for home safety.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 PM
TGM

100 posts, read 592,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguna1995 View Post
I have a quick question for TGM (or anyone else who may know). What are the laws regarding transporting fire arms across state lines. My husband has several guns here in Cali (legal/registered) and we are not sure what the process is when we move to TX. Is he allowed to bring them in to the state? Is their a time frame to register them in TX? Not really sure how this works. Thanks so much!!
You may transport any firearms you want (except full auto) into Texas as long as you are "traveling". The term "traveling" is not defined in Texas law, and we rely on case law (or how the courts have defined it) to determine if you are "traveling" or not. I won't get into a lengthy discussion on it here, but if you are moving your household from CA to TX then you will be under the "traveling" clause without a doubt. Once you reach your residence, you can no longer carry any handguns without a concealed weapons permit. Texas guns laws are very strict for people who do not have permits, which are easy to get if you do not have a criminal record.

I would suggest carrying the guns unloaded and out of reach of passengers. There is no law about this, but it does show law enforcement that you have no intentions other then the safe transport of your weapons to your new home.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:39 PM
TGM

100 posts, read 592,827 times
Forgot to answer your last question: There is no gun registration in Texas like there is in CA... The only law concerning having weapons in your home is that it is illegal if they can be accessed by a child - so lock 'em up and use a trigger guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas