Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:28 AM

679 posts, read 1,795,388 times

Advertisements

Just renewed our car tabs (do they call them that here?) and was pretty shocked. $60 for our imported luxury sedan. Would've been $200+ back in MN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:47 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,585,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Just renewed our car tabs (do they call them that here?) and was pretty shocked. $60 for our imported luxury sedan. Would've been $200+ back in MN.
Thank you CT. Chicago has a toll roads every 3 miles. It may be only 70 to 80 cents one way but you have to go through 4 to 5 of them before you reach your destination, that adds up by the end of the week if you have a daily compute. Let's not talk about parking downtown Chicago can be $12, sales tax, etc. Property tax in Indiana where my parents lived is crazy high for the house you get and the area has no jobs there.
Oh and lets look at the Northeast( i.e. Maryland, Virgina) were housing is 500K to 1 MIL on AVERAGE and some of them bought these houses with NO LAND OWNERSHIP; they don't even own the land these $$$$$ homes sit on. So you know they have to pay somebody for using that land but what they call it I have no idea and who it goes is a mystery. Virgina taxes EVERYTHING down to the local newspaper... Stop complaining.

Last edited by eyewrist; 07-16-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-16-2011, 08:50 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,487,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
wait until your get your property tax bill, you will be in shock. also check the sales tax rate where you live the next time you buy something.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:53 AM

679 posts, read 1,795,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
wait until your get your property tax bill, you will be in shock. also check the sales tax rate where you live the next time you buy something.
Property taxes are comparable, sales tax is about 1.25% higher. No income tax.... priceless!

Let's not talk about what Perry's done to education, though.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,232,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Wow! ! ! My annual property taxes are $1166 a year and I don't need to use a toll road to go anywhere although I do have a Toll Tag on my windshield. I don't think anyone's gonna pull up the road and haul it off anywhere.

As far as bible thumpers... haven't seen one of those since I left west Texas. Something like SVTRay... you don't have t live. Really, you don't... do you? Really?.
I'm not sure if you mean live or life? Either way I have fun! We're currently in Orlando Florida hanging out with Micky and Mini.

As for the tax rates in Texas, talk to the Democrats about that one. The Texas Governor is like a figure head in Texas politics. The lieutenant governor has more say so in Texas and there has only been about 8 Republican LT Governors out of the 47 LT Governors in the States history. The same thing with Texas Governors, only 8 out of Texas history has been Republican including Rino's like Rick Perry. Further more, It wasn't until recent time when Republicans has had any say over Texas politics. Democrats has had control over the state for the last 100 years. It wasn't until recent times when Republicans has started gaining ground, they just won control of the House or Senate for the first time in some 50-100 years.

So if you got a problem with Texas property taxes and laws, then take it up with the Democrats.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,173,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I'm not sure if you mean live or life? Either way I have fun! We're currently in Orlando Florida hanging out with Micky and Mini.

As for the tax rates in Texas, talk to the Democrats about that one. The Texas Governor is like a figure head in Texas politics. The lieutenant governor has more say so in Texas and there has only been about 8 Republican LT Governors out of the 47 LT Governors in the States history. The same thing with Texas Governors, only 8 out of Texas history has been Republican including Rino's like Rick Perry. Further more, It wasn't until recent time when Republicans has had any say over Texas politics. Democrats has had control over the state for the last 100 years. It wasn't until recent times when Republicans has started gaining ground, they just won control of the House or Senate for the first time in some 50-100 years.

So if you got a problem with Texas property taxes and laws, then take it up with the Democrats.
Yeah, I was agreeing with your take on the condition. I'm amused with complaints about Perry, while he may benefit his buddies, he doesn't control the legislature - other than to call special sessions. More like what we need in DC.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,232,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Yeah, I was agreeing with your take on the condition. I'm amused with complaints about Perry, while he may benefit his buddies, he doesn't control the legislature - other than to call special sessions. More like what we need in DC.
Sorry about that

Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 PM

23,746 posts, read 14,865,564 times
Until about 1978 there was 1 political party in Texas. Democratic. They had 2 wings. The only difference between the two was whether minorities should have the right to vote.
The conservatives voted in the Democratic primary for the candidate who would be the easiest for the National Republican to beat. Now that conservatives have contested primaries in the state and county elections, that is no longer their option.
The light governor and the speaker run the state. The governor does not do much when the lege is in session. The problem now is that Perry has been in for so long, he has ruined the state with appointments. It will take years to get over some of these department heads.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:00 PM

277 posts, read 575,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Ahhhhh this is hilarious. The Republicans have had control of the legislature since 2002, this time around with a supermajority. And the Democrats haven't won a state-wide office since 1994, and you want to blame Democrats? You're too cute man.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:15 PM

748 posts, read 1,471,504 times
Default Rick Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlotter19 View Post
Why is he so liked in this state?
Thanks
You mean "Hair-boy"??? Where I live (Tx panhandle), most folks don't like him. The lesser of the evils, so to speak, but don't like him.

He is nothing more than a Business-as-usual, crony hiring, BS flinging typical politician.

Really thinking that unless the democrats put satan himself on the next gubernatorial ticket, I will vote democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas