U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,234 times

Advertisements

He talks of taxes, but I have never lived in such an expensive state before. Texas has the most toll roads in the country(taxes), highest real estate taxes, high insurance rates, all taxes, yet he talks about lower taxes. He put in the toll roads, allowed ins co to charge more (was surprised when moving from AZ, I pay 3 times the fee for about the same value in house), also having many of the most outlandish "bible thumpers" involved in this forthcoming prayer session, an appeal to the Bible belt for money and support. Also, he is now considering selling some of the toll roads to foreign countries, and then talk of session from the union. I am afraid of someone like this.

Two questions: Why is he so liked in this state? Also, why do people assume Texas is so cheap to live in? Granted ive only been here for a year and a half now... but what are the tax advantages?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 PM

4,153 posts, read 8,443,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlotter19 View Post
He talks of taxes, but I have never lived in such an expensive state before. Texas has the most toll roads in the country(taxes), highest real estate taxes, high insurance rates, all taxes, yet he talks about lower taxes. He put in the toll roads, allowed ins co to charge more (was surprised when moving from AZ, I pay 3 times the fee for about the same value in house), also having many of the most outlandish "bible thumpers" involved in this forthcoming prayer session, an appeal to the Bible belt for money and support. Also, he is now considering selling some of the toll roads to foreign countries, and then talk of session from the union. I am afraid of someone like this.

Two questions: Why is he so liked in this state? Also, why do people assume Texas is so cheap to live in? Granted ive only been here for a year and a half now... but what are the tax advantages?

Thanks
I never could understand toll roads. Their private roads enforced by the city/state. Anyhow, I can't speak for them all but the North Dallas toll is owned by Spain...or someone living in Spain. So what ever is left over from repairing that toll road is shipped over seas.

As for secession, Rick Perry is a Democrat turned Republican. He's just politicking to his conservative base. We're not going to leave the union anytime soon.

Anyways, if you don't like the state, than move. It's not rocket science. And it sounds like you would be happier with California...although the cost of living is outrageous due to three decades of liberal control.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,713,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I never could understand toll roads. Their private roads enforced by the city/state. Anyhow, I can't speak for them all but the North Dallas toll is owned by Spain...or someone living in Spain. So what ever is left over from repairing that toll road is shipped over seas.

As for secession, Rick Perry is a Democrat turned Republican. He's just politicking to his conservative base. We're not going to leave the union anytime soon.

Anyways, if you don't like the state, than move. It's not rocket science. And it sounds like you would be happier with California...although the cost of living is outrageous due to three decades of liberal control.
Property taxes in Texas are absurd. It's normal for people to have to sell their houses because they can't afford the tax. It's fundamentally unfair, because it's as though the county or city owns your property, and you continually must pay rent to them, or lose your property. Land ownership essentially does not exist in Texas.

Imagine if other things had a yearly 3% tax. Your car is worth $20k? Better cough up $600 every year or the government will take it. Your computer is worth $2000? Well I guess $60 every year isn't so bad. But what about your savings in the bank? Why shouldn't they be taxed at a yearly rate of 3% of total value? I mean it's property right?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,229,637 times
Wow! ! ! My annual property taxes are $1166 a year and I don't need to use a toll road to go anywhere although I do have a Toll Tag on my windshield. I don't think anyone's gonna pull up the road and haul it off anywhere.

As far as bible thumpers... haven't seen one of those since I left west Texas. Something like SVTRay... you don't have t live. Really, you don't... do you? Really?

And yeah, Texas isn't going to secede but the idea is a great way to pull the yankee chain... they gurgle so loudly.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 PM

15,757 posts, read 21,328,917 times
Quote:
He talks of taxes, but I have never lived in such an expensive state before. Texas has the most toll roads in the country(taxes), highest real estate taxes, high insurance rates, all taxes, yet he talks about lower taxes.
I call them "Tax only the middle class"
because $100/month on toll road is nothing for a person that makes $10,000/month.
Can't say the same thing for a person that makes $2000/month and pays $800 in rent.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM

15,757 posts, read 21,328,917 times
Quote:

Thanks
Here's a few things that will help you understand it that I've noticed in 3 years in Texas.
- The biggest newspapers in Texas (Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Houston) pretty much never say anything bad about Perry. And very rarely even talk about him (same for republicans in the Texas senate)
- I was shocked when I went to Kerrville, TX (1 hour West of San Antonio) a town of about 20,000 people. I stopped to get gas at the first gas station right off of the highway. You know the place where they usually have pamphlet on top of the pump. The one they had .... it was completely political, I can't remember very well, but I think it was about "Obamacare".
So republicans had paid for those pamphlets to be on top of the pumps, instead of having some business promote their products.
- As big as Texas is.... that I know, Texas only has 1 true liberal radio station in Dallas (Rational radio). I know for a fact that Austin and San Antonio don't have one and Houston has 1 Radio Pacifica that it seems to me almost identical to NPR.

Add to that, things like 10000 voting machines burned in Houston in Aug 2010
a few months before an election where Perry's rival was ..... try to guess..... The mayor of Houston.
Harris County officials scramble after voting machine fire - Aug, 2010

Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 PM

277 posts, read 530,241 times
OP has some good points, and I hate toll roads as much as the next guy...BUT there's no way we have the 'most toll roads' in the country. We might after all the construction on 114/121 & 635 is done, but certainly we don't right now.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 PM

24,571 posts, read 35,703,420 times
Don't get me started on Rick Perry. He SUCKS.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 PM

570 posts, read 1,081,442 times
Quote:

Thanks
That is funny, every article I could find listed Texas in the top 10 for best in cost of living.
Toll roads...11th most miles...in a state as big as Texas, I think you can avoid them: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

home insurance?...doesn't surprise me, not too many tornadoes or hurricanes in Arizona. Other states with high rates...Florida, Louisiana, DC, Oklahoma, Massachusetts, Mississippi...see a pattern.

Yes , Texas does have high property taxes, but it is also your choice on the type of house you buy. Personally, I would rather pay more in property taxes than have a state income tax. I get punished for my choice of house, not how much I make.
...one more thing...
I don't think Perry is well liked, he has just been the lesser of two (or four) evils.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 08:10 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 PM

570 posts, read 1,081,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here's a few things that will help you understand it that I've noticed in 3 years in Texas.
- The biggest newspapers in Texas (Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Houston) pretty much never say anything bad about Perry. And very rarely even talk about him (same for republicans in the Texas senate)

Add to that, things like 10000 voting machines burned in Houston in Aug 2010
a few months before an election where Perry's rival was ..... try to guess..... The mayor of Houston.
Harris County officials scramble after voting machine fire - Aug, 2010
I also noticed that about the newspapers, which is interesting...

About the voting machines...really? White won Harris county by 15,000 votes out of almost 800,000, Perry won the state by 630,000 votes out of 4.8 million. Don't get me wrong, voting fraud is not right, but this is a little far-fetched and wouldn't have made a difference anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas