Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 3,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Yeah, but no way is she going to find a "moderate or cheap" house/condo close to a university in Austin. That's if she can even get in. Nor is it walkable. She'd probably do better off in some small town on the coast where it's not as expensive as the larger towns. OP seems to have a pipe dream on this one. She sounds like the typical person from the other side of the country who hasn't been here more than a 2 minute layover in the airport and believes the fairy tales that Texas is perfect, cheap, jobs coming out the wazoo, and everything else.

OP, what you're describing is basically like if someone came up to me and said I should move to New York City because it was so affordable, perfect weather year round, I could get an apartment for $300 a month in Manhattan, jobs would be thrown at me... you get the idea. Move here if you want, but have a reality check first.
yea i get what your saying...thats why im planning a trip first. Im thinking im going to most likely end up in Houston. but thanks for keeping me grounded lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,107,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
ntains.
But they are not near water, so I don't think the OP will find what she wants in Texas, either!
Reminds me of that movie; "A River Runs Through It" = or similar title. Thinking here of Big Bend and the Rio Grande. But hardly the kind of "beaches" found at seashores.

Quote:
Austin has hills and lakes nearby. And is as close to what you describe as I can think of as far as Texas would ever get.
Interesting thought. Hippy Hollow has my favorite "beach" in all of Texas with it's great limestone "benches" along the water. And although surfing on waves means wake surfing behind a boat, there is great windsurfing or sailboarding off of Windy Point.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,155,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyangeloxo View Post
the condo situation is fine with me because a typical condo in houston texas costs the same as less than one year of my rent up here. even if eventually moved elsewhere, i would rent it out to someone else. everything i said is subject to change as i dont know the typical lifestyle in houston and am trying to get a feel for it. maybe i will end up getting an apartment for the first few months it all depends on whats available, where etc but thank u for all your input, galveston sounds like an option...
It sounds like you would not move here with a job already in place, so you probably could not get financing for a condo (unless you are independantly wealthy). The comparison between rent and buying hardly matters. Jobs are not easy to come by these days even in Houston. BTW you will have to have a car to get around. There is no city in Texas that is walkable though some areas are more conducive to that then others.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,069 times
How do I post a thread??

Old 07-18-2011, 04:51 PM

4,052 posts, read 5,613,920 times
On the main page, there's a button on the upper left-hand side or the lower left-hand side, says NEW THREAD.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:31 AM

4 posts, read 12,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyangeloxo View Post
Hi! I live in NY with my 2 year old son and am looking to move to texas soon. I've never been (except for 2 minutes while exchanging flights) n wanted to hear some other peoples opinions on where good places are to move...so let me tell you what my "ideal" place to live would be like...
Somewhere close to the beach/water...nice water...not the polluted discolored water i'm used to on long island. i love surfing and all other water sports....water is definitely a must...it would be nice for a water view but driving distance is ok too.
i know texas is pretty dry sometimes but i would love greenery..mountains?? not sure if there are many mountains by the water in texas...but its worth a shot..
College! a definite must...Id like to be able to have about a 30 min drive or less to a university (i'm taking liberal arts now but thats going to change soon)
Im young so I would love a cool place with lots of chill people, stores and nightlife. i definitely need human contact ..but like cool laid back loving people who are real. Also somewhere to take my son to parks, beaches, etc.
Id like to buy a condo/small house moderately priced (or less :P) ...where there are things to do within walking distance.
Im also very into organic food and all that "new age hippy health stuff" like kombucha, so somewhere that had stuff or had those types of grocery stores would be beyond wonderful.
so all yall texans bring it on! tell me about your state please and also if anyone else recommends somewhere other than texas that resembles what i described above feel free to let me know about it. Thanks so much, excited to hear from everyone !!
Well there is South Padre Island, in lower Texas, there are great Universities, like A and M, but i"m not too sure, I hope this has helped in some way good luck
Sincerely,
Amanda Lee

Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,227,516 times
I think San Diego would be great for you EXCEPT for the price of housing. Texas is definitely not for you (that's my opinion anyway).

Old 09-17-2011, 11:37 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,055,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
LOL!

I too was wondering why the OP wasn't consulting the World Atlas, or at least browsing the web for geographic and demographic data on Texas? The specifications fit somewhere like coastal Oregon - although a good wet suit is going to be needed for surfing anywhere in that region. There are also some steeps along the coast of California for those with money to spare!

Mountains on a beach in Texas CAN be found along the middle Rio Grande. It's called Big Bend Natl. Park in places!

Why do actual research when getting on line and asking random strangers is so much easier.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,109,669 times
Well, there should be a balance ...... people ought to read up on the facts and stats to some extent (as on the main site), but past that point the forums provide both an important wealth of information, opinion, and even socialization. "Truth is distilled from many viewpoints".

Old 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,043,152 times
Since this was written in July and it's now September, I wonder what the OP decided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas