U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:04 PM

152 posts, read 100,866 times

Advertisements

Ha! Actually it stands for something like community covenants and restrictions. I don't mind the ones that say no more than 3 cars, but the size of the house...hmmpf.

Thank you for the term "Patio home". Gave me some more google searches.

Weird as this sounds, prices and especially of the land, is not a big concern. Been saving and investing my pennies and am pretty aware of the costs. They have been dropping in Texas, though not as sharply as in other areas of the country.

Thank you all for your input and the smilies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM

2,651 posts, read 2,624,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetakai View Post
Thank you for the term "Patio home". Gave me some more google searches.
I tossed it out there, but doubt it's what you have in mind. I suspect you want more room than most patio home developers allow for the "zero lot line" concept, meaning:

Quote:
What Does Zero-Lot-Line House Mean?
A piece of residential real estate in which the structure comes up to or very near to the edge of the property line. Zero-lot-line house are built very close to the property line in order to create more usable space. Rowhouses, garden homes, patio homes and townhomes are all types of properties that may be zero-lot-line homes. They may be attached (as in a townhome) or detached, single story or multistory.

Zero lot line homes are not just for low-income homebuyers: they are an attractive option for anyone who doesn’t have the time or inclination to maintain a large yard. They are also an appealing alternative to condos because they offer greater privacy and independence while still being low maintenance. However, window placement, noise and a lack of privacy can be issues with these types of homes since there is little to no buffer zone surrounding them.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,991,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I need room for my hobbies

Anyhow, no one is forcing anyone to own a large home. Sure fancy sub-divisions may require X amount of square feet among other things but it's not a state law...at least in Texas anyways. Heck, my mother lives in a 1300 sqft home for the same above mentioned reasons...she's actually thinking about selling it and getting a small apartment. I've also seen people buy a single acre of land and live in an old school bus or pop up camper.

As for larger homes, it's their money to do with as they please and they create jobs. We got a new sub-division popping up behind our place back home right now and they've been working on a single house well over a year now. The place is giant but it's only got two occupants! Do I care, nope. These two people has created jobs for a small work force going on two years...possibly three years.
Maybe not the state of Texas, but the city of Kyle near Austin has mandated through zoning ordinances that all new homes within its city limits be at least 1,600 square feet and come with a garage at least 480 square feet. They say it is to preserve home values - along with the 100% masonry requirement - but the real reason, I speculate, is that they are not happy that their city is now 57% hispanic and want to keep the "riff raff" out. So a slice of the market is forced to buy homes bigger than they need which inevitably leads to more foreclosures. In the meantime they use more energy to heat and cool the homes and pay more in property taxes. Of course more energy is expended to build the homes along with more mining of minerals and felling of trees, not to mention all the components that are petroleum-derived.

And as far as creating jobs is concerned have you been to a work site recently? The grunts are I'd guess 80% plus undocumented, so the effect on unemployment stats is not the same as in most other industries.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 AM

28,115 posts, read 24,101,617 times
For those of us who enjoy zoning and keeping up the looks and values of places, we appreciate the restrictions.

Lucky for those who don't, there are plenty of places to buy land and put up whatever kind of structure you want.

Something for everyone.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM

No, I guess 0 lot line would not do it. I really want an acre. Don't need a view much, not to look over lands and hills, but I would like it safe. I live in Alaska now, and I even though I live in the city, we still get moose through the yard. I would love to see deer, would even grow plants to feed the deer, and I would like to have birds. My dad used to put up all sorts of bird feeders and he had "yard chickens" Quail who came down and flitted around in the teracotta planter bottoms he put out and filled with water.

Not looking to put up a bus or tent, or anything like that. Want a real home, but I can't see myself alone, no family, kids or grandkids living in a house that's 2300+ sf. I guess I could just leave it sheetrocked, and cheap furnished, and then just close it off, if I had to, but that is really stupid.

I guess I can just get a piece of property, but as an old retired lady I doubt I could do a fixer. Not where my strengths lie.

I really just wanted to be part of a planned community, cute little house, one car, nice little garden and plants, beautiful cottage. hmmm...keep looking.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,518,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetakai View Post
I really just wanted to be part of a planned community, cute little house, one car, nice little garden and plants, beautiful cottage. hmmm...keep looking.
I know what you mean, I would like the same thing. A small little cottage out in nature, with neighbors you can wave at occasionally.

But that is not really what is driving the market right now. Most people think they need 1000 sq ft per person, and so the homebuilders cater to that market. Most private builder do not consider smaller homes worth their while, and most big box builders don't even consider them.

Best of luck to you, let me know if you find anything.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM

676 posts, read 934,848 times
Talk to a realtor. Small parcels of land exist outside of subdivisions. You could also look at tear-downs. I am SURE you could find something. I have a friend here in my small hill country town that just built a FABULOUS custom 1100 square foot house for her family of 4. It is truly a piece of modern art, very tastefully done. At first I was in complete bewilderment about the size and then I decided she was not crazy, just really smart. She didn't want a huge house when her kids will be moved out in 6 years. They travel extensively, so she wants her money freed up for trips and not a mortgage. Good luck with finding a little piece of paradise. You will love the Hill Country.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Right now I am getting crazy, put an octagon in the middle with kitchen and utilities, put an octagon at the bottom for living room, and four octagons off the sidewalls, all with 12 foot walls, would be a 3600 sf house, roughly, and I can split costs with 3 er...sister's...yeah, four little old women living together. Wouldn't be like a quadplex or anything, only have one kitchen. Hmmm.

Waving neighbors, yeah, thats the ticket. Am I qualifying as antisocial and grumpy. Oh my.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM

676 posts, read 934,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Maybe not the state of Texas, but the city of Kyle near Austin has mandated through zoning ordinances that all new homes within its city limits be at least 1,600 square feet and come with a garage at least 480 square feet. They say it is to preserve home values - along with the 100% masonry requirement - but the real reason, I speculate, is that they are not happy that their city is now 57% hispanic and want to keep the "riff raff" out. So a slice of the market is forced to buy homes bigger than they need which inevitably leads to more foreclosures. In the meantime they use more energy to heat and cool the homes and pay more in property taxes. Of course more energy is expended to build the homes along with more mining of minerals and felling of trees, not to mention all the components that are petroleum-derived.

And as far as creating jobs is concerned have you been to a work site recently? The grunts are I'd guess 80% plus undocumented, so the effect on unemployment stats is not the same as in most other industries.
You've got to be kidding me. I can't believe they can get away with that. Didn't we learn anything about responsibility with the whole mortgage crisis.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Cinnamon would you be willing to share the subdivision name. That sounds like a place I would love to look. Yeah, I want to take like one good trip a year, and I love to cruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas