U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Please choose two.
Keep The Cotton Bowl 50 64.94%
Demolish The Cotton Bowl 8 10.39%
The Cotton Bowl is more historic 34 44.16%
Keep The Astrodome 33 42.86%
Demolish The Astrodome 13 16.88%
The Astrodome is more historic 20 25.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,282,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
Why don't you people focus on destroying what you see as an "eyesore" in your own city? What do you care what Houston does with it's own buildings? Seriously.
because they are jealous of it and want it gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 PM

4,576 posts, read 3,537,778 times

‪Inside the Houston Astrodome‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 PM

491 posts, read 445,728 times
Not sure what the point of that video was, nor do I think the issue is jealousy so much as I just think most C-D nerds just want to try to prove to everyone else how superior their city is to everyone else's. I'll never understand this mentality. If you don't live in a place, and you have no personal stake in that city's history, then why do you even care about these things? If you really want everyone to worship your hometown, then focus on improvements there, rather than some place you don't like.

Obviously the dome has seen much better days, and sadly it has been neglected to the point of decay. Why is the only solution to tear it down? Has anyone ever heard of renovation or preservation in Texas? I guess those are concepts unique to San Antonio only.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Not sure what the point of that video was, nor do I think the issue is jealousy so much as I just think most C-D nerds just want to try to prove to everyone else how superior their city is to everyone else's. I'll never understand this mentality. If you don't live in a place, and you have no personal stake in that city's history, then why do you even care about these things? If you really want everyone to worship your hometown, then focus on improvements there, rather than some place you don't like.

Obviously the dome has seen much better days, and it has been neglected to the point of decay. Why is the only solution to tear it down? Has anyone ever heard of renovation or preservation in Texas? I guess those are concepts unique to San Antonio only.
I just wanted to show the video. I wasn't trying to prove anything.

Yes, I do think it should be preserved but what if it never happens.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I just wanted to show the video. I wasn't trying to prove anything.

Yes, I do think it should be preserved but what if it never happens.
OK. That's all I was curious about. I was actually pretty saddened by the video, as I was sitting here going back through all my great memories of various games and concerts I attended at the dome over the course of early 70's to mid-80's... so now I totally get your point.

If it does get torn down, I for one will be very sad and disgusted. It was bad enough when they tore down Astroworld. It felt like a huge chunk of my youth had been erased from existence. A very ugly feeling. However, Houston is a city that is mostly made up of newbies who recently moved there from somewhere else, who don't care about these things... so the vote most likely will go towards it's destruction and they'll most likely build some stupid high-rise cluster for "young medical professionals" in it's place. Better than a parking lot I suppose, but still seems like a total waste of history to me.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Status: "My hands are up....don't shoot." (set 14 days ago)

2,701 posts, read 4,115,720 times
Default Lmao

This just goes to show how ignorant and denial some of my fellow Houstonians can be... The Astrodome serves no purpose at all, it's just sitting there wasting tax money. The Cotton Bowl still serve as a major venue for sporting events as well as the State Fair. I work with some of the most Hardcore Houston fans you'll ever know and they're always talking about how the Astrodome needs to be either demolished or converted into something else. Only Houston would be dumb enough to build a new stadium right next to the old one, and still keep the old one in tact LMAO.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
OK. That's all I was curious about. I was actually pretty saddened by the video, as I was sitting here going back through all my great memories of various games and concerts I attended at the dome over the course of early 70's to mid-80's... so now I totally get your point.

If it does get torn down, I for one will be very sad and disgusted. It was bad enough when they tore down Astroworld. It felt like a part of my youth had been erased from existence. A very ugly feeling. However, Houston is a city that is mostly made up of newbies who don't care about these things, so the vote most likely will go towards it's destruction and they'll most likely build some stupid high-rise cluster for "young medical professionals" in it's place. Better than a parking lot I suppose, but still seems like a total waste of history to me.
If the Astrodome gets redeveloped into something nice I would be so happy. But now it's just sitting there. I have nothing against the Astrodome, but I just find it stupid to have a state of the art stadium right next to old stadium that's not being used. That's why the Reunion Arena was demolished a few years ago. The AAC was just taking all the bussiness away from the Reunion Arena and it cost the city millions of dollars to maintain it. So it was better to demolish the building rather than keep up a building that would never be used again. Now the land is worth a lot of money and there's new development projects planned for the property. It takes 2 million dollars a year to maintain the Dome and it will take 30 million dollars to bring it back up to code.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM
JJG

9,846 posts, read 9,482,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Sorry, but Texas Stadium was not a landmark. Texas Stadium looked worse than the Astrodome.
The Colosseum looks like sh*t.... doesn't make it any less of a landmark.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
This just goes to show how ignorant and denial some of my fellow Houstonians can be... The Astrodome serves no purpose at all, it's just sitting there wasting tax money. The Cotton Bowl still serve as a major venue for sporting events as well as the State Fair. I work with some of the most Hardcore Houston fans you'll ever know and they're always talking about how the Astrodome needs to be either demolished or converted into something else. Only Houston would be dumb enough to build a new stadium right next to the old one, and still keep the old one in tact LMAO.
I totally agree! When I first seen Reliant Stadium. I said why did they build a new stadium right next to the Astrodome? I said that was super stupid. Now the Astrodome could never host sporting events.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Aside from your comment about the city planners' idiocy in building Reliant right across the street from the dome, I totally disagree. I'm sure if civic leaders rub their little brain cells together they could come up with some kind of functional purpose for renovating the dome. My beef is with Houston's disgusting habit of destroying whatever history exists there in the name of so-called "progress" (which usually only benefits a few wealthy citizens rather than the city as a whole). If you don't live in Houston proper then you needn't worry about the cost to taxpayers. It's no surprise you live in Katy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas