U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Please choose two.
Keep The Cotton Bowl 50 64.94%
Demolish The Cotton Bowl 8 10.39%
The Cotton Bowl is more historic 34 44.16%
Keep The Astrodome 33 42.86%
Demolish The Astrodome 13 16.88%
The Astrodome is more historic 20 25.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:28 PM
JJG

9,503 posts, read 9,121,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The Superdome is still in its honeymoon phase, so of course it's more fresh on people's minds. But years down the line, once the novelty has worn off, I don't think it will be as infamous as the Astrodome. Groundbreaking is groundbreaking, and history doesn't die. The link I posted above proves that the AD is still considered an important structure.

I would say that most people under 20 couldn't tell you about the AD, but to suggest that only a few people outside of Houston know about it is absurd, to say the least.
Also, the Superdome got a renovation. Unlike Houston, New Orleans didn't feel the need to build a completely new stadium. And why would they? It's in a perfect location...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 1,963,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I disagree. While the Astrodome was the first domed stadium, very few people outside of Houston know or even care about that. Infact, the Superdome is FAR more famous and iconic than the Astrodome at this point. Part of this maybe the city's fault for not making the Astrodome a landmark beyond repeating trite phrases like "The 8th Wonder of the World". To the general public, the Astrodome isn't on the radar these days. The Cottonbowl is much older than the Astrodome and is still being used. People under 30 probably have never even heard of the Astrodome while the Cottonbowl is featured annually on national tv.
I totally agree100%.....JJG he didnt have to put "I Think" in front of those sentences because he didnt say NOBODY outside of Houston...the U.S has over 320 million people so a FEW could mean 10 people or 10,000,000...and he also said People under 30 PROBABLY have never heard of it..which means theres an exception in some cases.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 AM

658 posts, read 383,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The Superdome is still in its honeymoon phase, so of course it's more fresh on people's minds. But years down the line, once the novelty has worn off, I don't think it will be as infamous as the Astrodome. Groundbreaking is groundbreaking, and history doesn't die. The link I posted above proves that the AD is still considered an important structure.

I would say that most people under 20 couldn't tell you about the AD, but to suggest that only a few people outside of Houston know about it is absurd, to say the least.
For what reason would young folks in LA or NYC or any other place outside of Texas know the AD exists? Its not like the AD is even relevant to young folks in Houston. I'm from there. The place is too much of dump to even host high school football games now. There hasn't been a professional baseball or football game there in decades. The AD was the first of a long line of now forgotten domes. Do many folks care or remember the King Dome? The MetroDome? The Superdome, while only 10 years younger than the Astrodome, is well past its honeymoon phase and yet its still an icon.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 AM

655 posts, read 651,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Also, the Superdome got a renovation. Unlike Houston, New Orleans didn't feel the need to build a completely new stadium. And why would they? It's in a perfect location...
I wonder how the insurance claim process worked after Katrina. I also wonder whether any gap in coverage was filled courtesy of the U.S. taxpayers. It's good to know that while the Superdome got a face lift the Astrodome was graciously hosting the victims of the hurricane. Ironic that it's the Astrodome that is now in disrepair. Any way, it's good for New Orleans. It needs all the help it can get.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM

8,937 posts, read 4,973,073 times
Quote:
For what reason would young folks in LA or NYC or any other place outside of Texas know the AD exists? Its not like the AD is even relevant to young folks in Houston. I'm from there. The place is too much of dump to even host high school football games now. There hasn't been a professional baseball or football game there in decades. The AD was the first of a long line of now forgotten domes. Do many folks care or remember the King Dome? The MetroDome? The Superdome, while only 10 years younger than the Astrodome, is well past its honeymoon phase and yet its still an icon.
You still haven't read that link, have you? That "dump" that is no longer hosting sports events is still considered one of the most relevant arenas in American history.

Whether you're from Texas or not, if you had a brain in the 90s, 80s, 70s, or 60s, you would've had to be sleeping under a rock to have not heard of the Astrodome. Your definition of the word "icon" is flawed, in my opinion.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM
JJG

Quote:
The Astrodome is STILL an icon.

The KingDome is demolished and the Metrodome (Mall of America Field.... the REAL dump that can't even hold its roof) is still being used. However, you can't compare those two to the Astrodome, especially since one is gone and the other will BE gone. Neither one of those two have the same importance.

I think other than what I already mentioned, it hosted Wrestlemania, College Basketball's "Game of the Century", Billie Jean King against Bobby Riggs in the famous "Battle of the Sexes", Selena's last concert.

It was even featured in the Friday Night Lights movie and even heald Katrina refugees.... I really don't think you're giving this stadium the credit it deserves. You're really talking about it as if NO ONE knows anything about this place. It's the Astrodome, not Blackshear Field.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM

659 posts, read 654,852 times
Quote:
I disagree. While the Astrodome was the first domed stadium, very few people outside of Houston know or even care about that. Infact, the Superdome is FAR more famous and iconic than the Astrodome at this point. Part of this maybe the city's fault for not making the Astrodome a landmark beyond repeating trite phrases like "The 8th Wonder of the World". To the general public, the Astrodome isn't on the radar these days. The Cottonbowl is much older than the Astrodome and is still being used. People under 30 probably have never even heard of the Astrodome while the Cottonbowl is featured annually on national tv.
I cant believe folks from North Texas are trying to make the Astrodome "the 8th Wonder of the World" sound like trash. It packs way more history than the Cottonbowl.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 03-27-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I cant believe you folks from North Texas are trying to make the Astrodome "the 8th Wonder of the World" sound like trash. It packs way more history than the Cottonbowl.
Um, he says he's from Houston..... I'M the one from North Texas pretty much defending the place's status.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM

659 posts, read 654,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Um, he says he's from Houston.....
He might as well be from up there. It pretty sad that some one from Houston would say something as such.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
He might as well be from up there. It pretty sad that some one from Houston would say something as such.
Yeah. It would be like me trashing The Carter (TCU's stadium) or old Texas Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas