Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
San Antonio is culture shock for southern Californians, says me and the countless of other Californians I have met here in San Antonio. I have met transplants from Houston and Dallas who say that living in San Antonio is culture shock for them as well. Most Californians here in San Antonio will leave once the economy turns a corner. Most californians I have met (including myself ) are trying to move to the other large cities in TX or back to CA. I am only here to get specific job experience then I am out of here.

San Antonio is one of the fattest, least educated and poorest cities in the US for its size. This city is stubborn and does not accept change very easily. There is an element of "country/hick town" that this city has. People are moving here in droves because the San Antonio economy is doing fairly well and plus it is dirt cheap to live here.
LOL, I am glad I wasn't the mean one for a change. Texas people don't think SA is that bad, but I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
One of the people mentioned El Paso because the OP doesn't like humidity. I also chimed in on El Paso for that reason and the scenery (mountains), but it's so far from the rest of Texas, I don't think the OP would like living so very far away from the original cities mentioned.
well I was looking at her requirements as a whole and trying to see which cities fit most of her categories.

I think that giving her the driest city and then the prettiest, and then the most diverse is kinda overwhelming unless she has a ranking of criteria.

From the rest of her requirements it doesn't seem like El Paso is what she is looking for at all. As for humidity and heat, that is something that comes with the package. Texas has beautiful springs though

Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
well I was looking at her requirements as a whole and trying to see which cities fit most of her categories.

I think that giving her the driest city and then the prettiest, and then the most diverse is kinda overwhelming unless she has a ranking of criteria.

From the rest of her requirements it doesn't seem like El Paso is what she is looking for at all. As for humidity and heat, that is something that comes with the package. Texas has beautiful springs though
You're right!!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
As pointed out above, most of Texas is humid. I live both in Midland and Dallas and Midland/Odessa is the least humid. Now with that said, I can't stand humidity but you get used to it. My best advice is to move close to work. If your work allows you to live anywhere, then I would consider Dallas Austin, or San Antonio. These three have a lot going on for younger active people. We personally have a place in Uptown Dallas and it's full of people 25-35 yrs old and comes alive on weekends. There is about a dozen restaurants and bars within walking distance.

Now one thing to keep in mind is political views. Texas for the most part is Conservative while California is Liberal. If you side in with Liberal thinking, you may want to consider Austin. This area sides in with more liberal thinking. Austin has a great night life and things to do. It's humid but you get used to it.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 AM

204 posts, read 336,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
As a born and raised southern Californian who now lives in San Antonio, I will give you my input.

San Antonio is culture shock for southern Californians, says me and the countless of other Californians I have met here in San Antonio. I have met transplants from Houston and Dallas who say that living in San Antonio is culture shock for them as well. Most Californians here in San Antonio will leave once the economy turns a corner. Most californians I have met (including myself ) are trying to move to the other large cities in TX or back to CA. I am only here to get specific job experience then I am out of here.

San Antonio is one of the fattest, least educated and poorest cities in the US for its size. This city is stubborn and does not accept change very easily. There is an element of "country/hick town" that this city has. People are moving here in droves because the San Antonio economy is doing fairly well and plus it is dirt cheap to live here.

Based on your post I would recommend moving to Dallas and would include Austin as well.
I'm also from California and I couldn't have said it any better than this.

I'm only here because my wife's job is here and I go to school here. The low cost of living makes it easy to live on one income.

We'll be on the first flight out when I graduate.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:47 AM

204 posts, read 336,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Now one thing to keep in mind is political views. Texas for the most part is Conservative while California is Liberal. If you side in with Liberal thinking, you may want to consider Austin. This area sides in with more liberal thinking. Austin has a great night life and things to do. It's humid but you get used to it.
L.A. and S.F. are liberal. The rest of the state, not so much.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelista View Post
I'm a 24 year old looking to relocate from Los Angeles to Texas in about 6-8 months. I've had the opportunity to live in Nevada for about a year and half and surprisingly I didn't think it was too bad. I have friends and family all over Texas and I'm torn as to which city would be the best fit for me. I'm not the busy, bustling "city girl" but I would like to live no more than 20 minutes away (driving distance) from restaurants, shopping and nightlife. I love scenery and not too fond of too much humidity. My choices are Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth areas and I have friends in San Antonio as well but I'm not too familiar with it. Can anyone shine some light on these three cities and give me some info regarding people, diversity, things to do, weather, etc.?
I'd go with Austin. Houston and Dallas are neither known for scenery or great weather. All of these cities are pretty humid, but Austin should offer you enough scenery and it's not as humid as Houston, but still humid.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I'd go with Austin. Houston and Dallas are neither known for scenery or great weather. All of these cities are pretty humid, but Austin should offer you enough scenery and it's not as humid as Houston, but still humid.
what about her other requirements? Besides, Austin is not that much less humid than Houston and Dallas.

How different is the temps in Dallas and Austin???

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

OP in the summer you are gonna be unbelievably hot from may to August in any of the big 5 cities in Texas.

Austin is congested and cramped and living in the hill country cities won't put you back in the action within 20 minutes. DFW and Houston are the best bets. Anything else is muchmore of a culture shock.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Hot? May to August?

It sometimes starts at the end of March and goes through the end of October!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:56 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Hot? May to August?

It sometimes starts at the end of March and goes through the end of October!!!
I'll second that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas