Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:51 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,418,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say somewhere in the brain, but I am not well versed in neuroscience. I have what is called a mature sense of humor. It is a sense of humor that isn't easily aroused by jokes involving topics such as flatulence or feces. Usually people over the age of 12 develop a mature sense of humor, obviously not everyone.
Is this tendency to take everything you read at face value what you confuse with a *mature sense of humor* - or am I just not getting it?

Anyway...either visit or don't. Somebody else will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,736,411 times
Quote:
I did not understand any of that. Melon crops and razor wire? And that entry about using a leaf as toilet paper? That is not humorous, it is disgusting. Alas, the only statement I found to be remotely true is the fact that many Texans do refer to all carbonated beverages as "Coke". I'm not sure what part of Texas you live in, but I don't plan on visiting. Those remarks are reprehensible and bring disgrace to Texas.
WOW! I certainly didn't think for one second there was anything in this article that would offend anyone. WOW!

I thought (and still do) that it was cute and others might get some enjoyment from it. I did not personally write it, but as far as the melons go (that would be watermelons, cantaloupes, etc., coons will eat them when they ripened. As far as the leaf for toilet paper, well, yes, I guess that could be considered disgusting. I don't know anyone would would have centered in and focused such attention on just a few observances located in a series of observances such as this. I just never gave that one much thought, but I can tell you for sure, I've been in some areas of Texas that there were some mighty long distances between public conveniences. It's a lot better now (well, at least for the number of service stations, or rest stops, etc.) since the state is getting so populated. As far as the "Coke" remark, I don't find that to be remotely true. Every Texan I know calls them (carbonated drinks)all "Coke" and I know a bunch of Texans.

As far as what part of the state I live in, it's inmaterial as far as you're concerned. There are different types of people who live within the confines of any city, state or country and usually birds of a feather flock together. I'm proud to say, I have friends from all walks of life and they have different views, different means of entertaining themselves, etc. You get my drift. One thing they all have in common though, they all have a good sense of humor and none take life so seriously as you.

One last thought for you, life is not always pristine. There are times it can be disgusting, everyone knows that. The key is, don't take it so serious. Laugh, have fun, enjoy! You only go 'round once!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:45 PM

679 posts, read 2,825,361 times
Lonestar, back in '05, after Katrina and Rita hit, I was part of the damage assessment teams in the areas. I love the country so much. We were dispatched in teams of 4 to go into the areas and search out the homes and homeowners. Saw stuff you wouldn't believe. Well, I was wayyyy out in the boonies of Louisiana, near the Texas border on some days. I remember needing those conveniences and didn't have a place to go for 8 hours at a time. A leaf would have been welcomed, only I was afraid of snakes. You do what you have to do. PS...I LOVE to laugh. Makes my inside feel sooooo good. Thanks for your post. I really enjoyed it.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:46 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,736,411 times
Thanks, Texasdreamin

Old 08-12-2007, 06:02 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,017,645 times
The scoop on calling soft drinks "COKE" - scientifically by region!

http://popvssoda.com:2998/

Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,638,709 times
Funny stuff. All rings a bell.

I've got relatives with stories to tell about Texas country livin', including using leaves for toilet paper. Hard to fathom, but I'm only one generation removed from the outhouse.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:53 PM

679 posts, read 2,825,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Funny stuff. All rings a bell.

I've got relatives with stories to tell about Texas country livin', including using leaves for toilet paper. Hard to fathom, but I'm only one generation removed from the outhouse.
I remember outhouses from when I was a little girl and use to visit my grandmother who lived in the country. I use to be afraid to use them because they would tell me to watch out for the snakes down in them. Needless to say, I was petrified everytime I had to "go". That was just only 47 years ago. Hmmmm...she had an outdoor water pump. It had to be primed before you could get a drink.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 AM

415 posts, read 2,328,630 times
Love the spoof on Texas, I am from Texas and found it to be very heartwarming to know we can still laugh at ourselves. We Texans are a different breed.
Currently living in SC. but will be coming back home soon

Old 09-15-2007, 05:34 PM

119 posts, read 455,745 times
This is hilarious.....and when you get into Deep East Texas, near the TX/LA border, you will see some stuff that would be considered "disgusting". Seriously, some people haven't advanced to the modern days. I know this because I have relatives in Deep East Texas and I've heard it all. I love hearing funny stuff like this about TX....There's a wonderful one about Houston.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:46 AM

17 posts, read 45,994 times
Quote:
I have what is called a mature sense of humor. It is a sense of humor that isn't easily aroused by jokes involving topics such as flatulence or feces.
It sounds to me like you are confusing "Mature sense of humor" with a Stifled sense of humor. You generally see that in people who's parents would shame the child for laughing at something that the parent didn't find funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas