Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,498 times

Advertisements

We need to move to an area that has bef/after school care for my disabled teen - what's avail seems to really vary from place to place. Amarillo has a great program and we had planned on moving there but I'm not getting responses from job hunting and the salaries are low...rents aren't that much lower and I'm not sure about food, util, etc. I'm thinking I should check out other places if I hope to get a job by Autumn (when mine ends). It seems like the costs of both places are similar. San Angelo, Abilene and MO don't have the programs we need.

Anyway, Lubbock has a similar program and the salaries I've seen listed seem more in line with rents, utilities - according to on-line info. I've found more employment ads...is it fairly easy to get hired or do most jobs go to the students? It's a bigger city than what we're used to, any ideas on neighborhoods with more families than college kids? Is it safe enough to walk around, go to the park (we're used to much smaller cities)
Is anyone familar enough with them both to compare? I've checked smaller cities only they don't have the programs we need and in either place
(Lubbock or Amarillo) we have to be city residents for her to be eligible for the programs. It's difficult to find a good neighborhood on a short visit when its a large city. Unfortunately, I can only take off so much time from work to investigate and time is getting short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times
i dont have any advice for you, but i just want to say that i hope that you find your special place in the best state in the union! you will find the friendliest folks and neighbors. welcome!! and keep us updated on your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
We need to move to an area that has bef/after school care for my disabled teen - what's avail seems to really vary from place to place. Amarillo has a great program and we had planned on moving there but I'm not getting responses from job hunting and the salaries are low...rents aren't that much lower and I'm not sure about food, util, etc. I'm thinking I should check out other places if I hope to get a job by Autumn (when mine ends). It seems like the costs of both places are similar. San Angelo, Abilene and MO don't have the programs we need.

Anyway, Lubbock has a similar program and the salaries I've seen listed seem more in line with rents, utilities - according to on-line info. I've found more employment ads...is it fairly easy to get hired or do most jobs go to the students? It's a bigger city than what we're used to, any ideas on neighborhoods with more families than college kids? Is it safe enough to walk around, go to the park (we're used to much smaller cities)
Is anyone familar enough with them both to compare? I've checked smaller cities only they don't have the programs we need and in either place
(Lubbock or Amarillo) we have to be city residents for her to be eligible for the programs. It's difficult to find a good neighborhood on a short visit when its a large city. Unfortunately, I can only take off so much time from work to investigate and time is getting short.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:52 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,498 times
Thanks bellestar...guess we'll both have our answers in the next month or so..
I'm getting a bit worn out with trying to figure it out...there's so much variety, its a tough decision. It's easier to get the feel of a smaller city and we like a calmer place. The program availability helps narrow things down but it also means ruling out places you'd like for other reasons. Luckily, I can usually find things I like no matter where we live.

Wish I could take a month and just tour around... ..with pay of course

Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,298 times
What line of work are you looking for? That determines how much competition there will be from college kids. Some people are know for hiring students, and others avoid them because they don't want to invest time in training someone who will graduate and move off. What is the program that you are looking into in Amarillo? Do you know what it is called in Lubbock if they have one? Maybe I can give you some more info if I know a little more.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,569 times
Default Amarillo area

The panhandle is the lowest paying location in Texas. This however is a good spot for medical care as you have discovered.
But it is very "clicky" and may be the reason you are not getting the responses you need . I have been here 3 yrs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas