Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:02 PM

19 posts, read 39,124 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone to start off my Name is Chrystal I'm Married with 2 children 9 and 5 my husband is possibly getting transfered from eastern ohio to Greenville Texas. We have only ever lived in ohio and are very nervous about the move. So I was just wanting to talk to some nice people who live in the area that could just give me pointers on what to expect if this will be good for my kids honestly I just want some opinions. He will be working in greenville so where would be a good place to rent? We want country area to have horses.. And what is average rent these days in this area.. Thank You in advance for any word of wisdom! Oh and anything else I need to know please feel free to share!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystal_H View Post
Hello everyone to start off my Name is Chrystal I'm Married with 2 children 9 and 5 my husband is possibly getting transfered from eastern ohio to Greenville Texas. We have only ever lived in ohio and are very nervous about the move. So I was just wanting to talk to some nice people who live in the area that could just give me pointers on what to expect if this will be good for my kids honestly I just want some opinions. He will be working in greenville so where would be a good place to rent? We want country area to have horses.. And what is average rent these days in this area.. Thank You in advance for any word of wisdom! Oh and anything else I need to know please feel free to share!!
I don't live in Greenville but have driven through it a few times. It's green for sure (drought conditions not with standing) and plenty of country sides. You're only stone's throw away from Dallas and fairly large lake as well. I don't have enough information so I can only offer an opinion and that is Greenville seems like a nice area.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
My parents live about 30 minutes away from Greenville in an unincorporated area of Hunt County called Poetry. There are lots of nice places near Greenville. When we're not in a severe drought, it's very pretty and green out there. I would recommend being on the west side just because that will put you closer to Rockwall (20 minutes) and Dallas (45 minutes) for shopping, etc. I can't comment about rental homes since I am unfamiliar with the market out there.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 AM

19 posts, read 39,124 times
Thank you both. I am very nervous about the move being its 19 hr away from my home that I have only ever known but change can be good right! I have never had to work I have been a stay at home mom but since both my kids will be in school this year I'm thinking of getting a part time job. Is there any dos and donts that I need to know about texas? Oh and I'm excited about not having 8/9 month of cold/snow /ice too!! Look foward to not freezing my butt off that. -13 this year was garbage.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thank you both. I am very nervous about the move being its 19 hr away from my home that I have only ever known but change can be good right! I have never had to work I have been a stay at home mom but since both my kids will be in school this year I'm thinking of getting a part time job. Is there any dos and donts that I need to know about texas? Oh and I'm excited about not having 8/9 month of cold/snow /ice too!! Look foward to not freezing my butt off that. -13 this year was garbage.
Do's and don't,

Please check all liberal political views at the border.

Just because you can drive or ski on snow and ice doesn't mean we can, so play it safe and stay home the two days years that it actually snows.

Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and fishing bait in the same store...often intermixed

Remember, y'all Is singular and All Y'all is plural.

Get used to the words, it's not the heat, "it's the humidity"
And the collateral, you call this hot, wait'll August!

A Mercedes Bends is not a Status symbol here, A F-150 is...double status for F250/F350 and triple status points for a F150 with SVT Raptor package!

You can tell a Texan...but not much!

Rocky Mountain Oysters are NOT from the Rockies, I general say don't ask but here is a hint, they used to dangle below male cows at one time.

Tea = Ice Tea...there is no other kind...preferably Sweet Tea!

Everything taste better with Ranch Dressing!

If you don't understand our passion for High School (especially West Texas High School Foot ball!) and College Foot ball, it's not your fault, it's your breeding.

EVERYTHING is BIGGER in Texas!!!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Do's and don't,

Just because you can drive or ski on snow and ice doesn't mean we can, so play it safe and stay home the two days a year that it actually snows.

Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and fishing bait in the same store...often intermixed

Remember, y'all Is singular and All Y'all is plural.

Get used to the words, it's not the heat, "it's the humidity"
And the collateral, you call this hot, wait'll August!

A Mercedes Bends is not a Status symbol here, A F-150 is...double status for F250/F350 and triple status points for a F150 with SVT Raptor package!

You can tell a Texan...but not much!

Rocky Mountain Oysters are NOT from the Rockies, I general say don't ask but here is a hint, they used to dangle below male cows at one time.

Tea = Ice Tea...there is no other kind...preferably Sweet Tea!

Everything taste better with Ranch Dressing!

If you don't understand our passion for High School (especially West Texas High School Foot ball!) and College Foot ball, it's not your fault, it's your breeding.

EVERYTHING is BIGGER in Texas!!!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I don't agree with this, but...

Quote:
Just because you can drive or ski on snow and ice doesn't mean we can, so play it safe and stay home the two days years that it actually snows.
I do agree with this.

We had a freeze on Super Bowl weekend that essentially shut down DFW. I'm used to driving in snow/ice, but many people here are not, so there were a lot of accidents related to the weather.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post
I don't agree with this, but...
I don't care.

Quote:
II do agree with this.

We had a freeze on Super Bowl weekend that essentially shut down DFW. I'm used to driving in snow/ice, but many people here are not, so there were a lot of accidents related to the weather.
Yuppers, there could be 10" of snow and ice covered streets and people are still going to drive 80mph and wait till the white stripe at an intersection before applying the breaks.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:23 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I don't care.
I didn't ask you to care My response was for the OP.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I didn't ask you to care My response was for the OP.
Still really don't care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas