Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

Polygamist sect leader Warren Jeffs broke his silence during court testimony Friday to read a statement from God. The jury had been dismissed while he read the statement.

Moderator cut: copyrighted material

Quote:
Jeffs threatens court with Biblical repercussions (http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/jeffs-threatens-court-with-biblical-repercussions-1668295.html?cxtype=rss_ece_frontpage - broken link)

A polygamist sect leader defending himself against sexual assault charges broke his silence Friday with a 55-minute sermon defending plural marriages as divine and later said God would visit "sickness and death" on those involved if his trial wasn't immediately stopped.

The FLDS made headlines nationwide in 2008, when authorities raided its compound in tiny Eldorado, about 45 miles from San Angelo, after hearing allegations that young girls were being forced into polygamist marriages. Moderator cut: copyrighted material
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sure glad I don't live in one of those Counties. Schleicher County is home to the YFZ Ranch, the reported headquarters of the FLDS movement headed by Warren Jeffs. The trial is taking place in San Angelo, Texas, Tom Green county. I wonder if any other counties are involved?

Last edited by Bo; 09-16-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 01:24 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
He might as well prepare himself for a lot of prison time to come!

Hopefully they put him in General Population - he can put "god" to the test and see if he'll save his ass then!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:31 PM

152 posts, read 280,910 times
Another good example of why they are called religious nuts!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I don't know that the counties can be blamed. Perhaps Schleicher County should have been more proactive, but Tom Green county? That's where the imbecile is being tried. Don't blame the counties. Blame the free pass that religion gets, no matter how insane, until it becomes so outrageous that its excesses can't possibly be ignored.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't know that the counties can be blamed. Perhaps Schleicher County should have been more proactive, but Tom Green county? That's where the imbecile is being tried. Don't blame the counties. Blame the free pass that religion gets, no matter how insane, until it becomes so outrageous that its excesses can't possibly be ignored.
Apparantly God blames the counties.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:38 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Rational people quickly dismiss such outrageous, inane statements as these. The man is an evil person and hopefully gets his just rewards here on earth and in the after life as well.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 AM

556 posts, read 1,563,206 times
If they'd stream this live, I could deactivate my Netflix.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
You mean, God has discontinued his long-standing policy of working His wonders in mysterious ways? And decided to elucidate them?

Regarding the counties, Schleicher has a very small population, and practically everyone know s each other. I'm presuming that moving the trial to Tom Green is simply a judicial change of venue, which is done all the time, wherever there would be difficulty empaneling an impartial jury in the county that would normally have jurisdiction. Change of venue is an everyday occurrence in small, rural counties. In this case, there might not even be enough resources or personnel in the Schleicher County court system to accommodate a trial that would require so many witnesses. I would guess that Schleicher has a court house with a court room in it, but there is only a district or circuit judge, who spends no more than a few days a month hearing cases in that county. With a county population of less than 3,000, Schleicher County courts handle an average of less than ten felony cases a year, and they are probably almost all plea bargained, so it is possible that they might go a whole year at a time without a criminal case going to jury.

As for Jeffs himself, you are lowering your self to his level, if you believe that polygamy is, in and of itself, "evil" and that an advocate of it is deserving of the kind of Old Testament punishment you are so gleefully tossing around.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-31-2011 at 03:51 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
I don't think polygamy is evil, but child rape certainly is.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Did he get the governors permission to speak directly to GOD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas