Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 13,048 times

Advertisements

210 acres in beautiful Franklin, Tx. That is what I call a great tax rate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:43 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r u in good hands View Post
210 acres in beautiful Franklin, Tx. That is what I call a great tax rate!
Right, but what do you have on it?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I don't know how many times we have all talked about taxes, but lord knows in this forum and in all the other Texas city forums, we need stickies with the tax information because a lot of folks are confused or misinformed about the way property taxes work in Texas.

I don't know who said their taxes were $2.41 per $1K, but that's incorrect. It's 2.41 per $100 valuation, and actually, that's pretty cheap.

All one has to do is look to other states: CA, LA, FL, you name it...and you'll see why most people who understand the system are happy with the way things are right here.

You are right my typo it is $2.41 per hundred. It is not so much the cost but the spending. Our legislature is a sad group that spends more time on cheer leader legislation, increasing tobacco tax, and building toll roads than on education where 67% of our tax dollars go. Texas spends approximately $7200per student and this is the result.

According to the Texas Education Association (TEA), more than 11,000 Texas teens drop out between entering high school and graduating four years later. This is a conservative estimate: other education organizations place that number at more than 137,000 students. Although the drop out rate has actually improved over the past few years, the situation is still so troubling that state experts have declared Texas in the midst of a “dropout crisis.”
by"Frances Deviney the Director of Texas KIDS COUNT and a senior research associate at the Center for Public Policy Priorities in Austin.

You need to take another look at what you call the :system:/

Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 13,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Right, but what do you have on it?
I have about 40 momma cows, a nice house, hay barn, running creek, deer, tons of trees, a beautiful hilltop view of downtown. Great water and reliable electricity. 1.2 miles from town. Great school district, a subway eatery, a dairy queen.

What else can you ask for?

Old 08-22-2007, 09:28 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
You are right my typo it is $2.41 per hundred. It is not so much the cost but the spending. Our legislature is a sad group that spends more time on cheer leader legislation, increasing tobacco tax, and building toll roads than on education where 67% of our tax dollars go. Texas spends approximately $7200per student and this is the result.

According to the Texas Education Association (TEA), more than 11,000 Texas teens drop out between entering high school and graduating four years later. This is a conservative estimate: other education organizations place that number at more than 137,000 students. Although the drop out rate has actually improved over the past few years, the situation is still so troubling that state experts have declared Texas in the midst of a “dropout crisis.”
by"Frances Deviney the Director of Texas KIDS COUNT and a senior research associate at the Center for Public Policy Priorities in Austin.

You need to take another look at what you call the :system:/

No, actually, I don't. I realize the dropout rate cited by the TEA is probably conservative; that doesn't mean Texas isn't chock full of excellent public schools with terrific graduation rates, and more so than most other states. Most of the dropouts are from Houston ISD and Dallas schools, notorious for their issues, but even as bad as Houston is, we are still way ahead of places like L.A., New York, Cleveland, Baltimore, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Milwaukee, Denver, and Las Vegas.

And, yes, the graduation rate has increased across Texas. That means it's getting better; perhaps not as fast as you like, but it's improving in the areas that need it most. According to the TEA, the overall graduation rate has risen from 79.5% in 1999 to 85% in 2005. Not bad, IMHO...and the Legislature has approved to spend $50 million dollars on just preventing dropouts from Texas high schools. I certainly don't think people are treating the issue lightly.

I pay $3.12 per $100 valuation, and I live in one of the best school districts in the city. It's worth every penny.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:13 PM

801 posts, read 2,211,710 times
For what it's worth, Sperling and Sander's 2nd edition of Cities Ranked and Rated ranks the property tax rate per $100 for the largest city in each state. Houston TX is ranked 1st (highest in the nation) at an average of $2.99 per $100 evaluation. The median for the nation is $1.54. However, all that said, it's obvious there is far more to look at. For instance, I have family and friends in Houston, and I know from their experiences you can get far more house for your money there than here where I am (Albuquerque). So, by all means, if you're satisfied with the quality of life where you are, that should "outrank" the rankings.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:03 PM

19 posts, read 143,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantx View Post
yes, I have found that property taxes are high, but the overall price of the house and no state tax compensates for the high property tax. Atleast in my opinion.
I agree with the above statement.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r u in good hands View Post
I have about 40 momma cows, a nice house, hay barn, running creek, deer, tons of trees, a beautiful hilltop view of downtown. Great water and reliable electricity. 1.2 miles from town. Great school district, a subway eatery, a dairy queen.

What else can you ask for?
WOW! I can also hear Bob Barker saying, Come on down!! It sounds great to me, you're right, what else could you ask for.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
No, actually, I don't. I realize the dropout rate cited by the TEA is probably conservative; that doesn't mean Texas isn't chock full of excellent public schools with terrific graduation rates, and more so than most other states. Most of the dropouts are from Houston ISD and Dallas schools, notorious for their issues, but even as bad as Houston is, we are still way ahead of places like L.A., New York, Cleveland, Baltimore, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Milwaukee, Denver, and Las Vegas.

And, yes, the graduation rate has increased across Texas. That means it's getting better; perhaps not as fast as you like, but it's improving in the areas that need it most. According to the TEA, the overall graduation rate has risen from 79.5% in 1999 to 85% in 2005. Not bad, IMHO...and the Legislature has approved to spend $50 million dollars on just preventing dropouts from Texas high schools. I certainly don't think people are treating the issue lightly.

I pay $3.12 per $100 valuation, and I live in one of the best school districts in the city. It's worth every penny.
The problem here is the attitude we seem to have of applying this thought process of we know we're not the best, or we know we have problems, BUT, we're not as bad as them (them being other states, etc.) We should not be worrying about THEM, or comparing to THEM, we should concentrate on improving ourselves. Our schools are rapidly developing a new process of ...just get these kids out. Don't worry if they get an education, we don't have the time nor manpower for that. Just pass them through, let the next people down the line, be it employers or trade school instructors, college professors, whoever, have fun with that one. I'm talking good school districts here. A lot of this started with the "leave no child behind", which in other words means if you don't quite "get it", don't worry about it, we've devised ways to pass you through. What a joke. Now they've come up with , oh, I see you having difficulty. Don't worry, we'll drop you to the level below the one you in now. You won't be able to go to college on this, but you be able to graduate on time with your class. Later, if you decide you want to go to college, you can take these courses at a junior college and pay for what you should have learn here for free (well, free for the kid that is, as you know, nothing's free, someone's paying for it).

Or how 'bout summer school. Can't learn it during the year? Just plop your money down, take a crash course during the summer, you bet, it's a pretty good shot you'll get your credit. Did you learn it? No, but you've got your credit, and isn't that what it's all about?

Or how 'bout we just bump you up a grade? I know of a young girl who has failed twice. This year she was supposed to be in the same grade yet again. Her sister told us a few days ago, the school had called and bumped her up a grade. She didn't pass, mind you, but they moved her up anyway. I think her parents should have said no, she'll have to learn it and pass it before she moves on, but they didn't. This is supposely a "good school district". But hey, we've got more people coming in every day, schools are bursting at the seams. The classrooms are overcrowded, teachers are overburdened, both parents are working tying to keep afloat, kids are growing up by the hair of the head, no one seems to have time for them. So, what to do? The school's answer to the problem seems to be,,,,,load 'em up, ship 'em out. It's really sad.

Last edited by lonestar2007; 08-24-2007 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-24-2007, 06:37 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
The problem here is the attitude we seem to have of applying this thought process of we know we're not the best, or we know we have problems, BUT, we're not as bad as them (them being other states, etc.) We should not be worrying about THEM, or comparing to THEM, we should concentrate on improving ourselves. Our schools are rapidly developing a new process of ...just get these kids out. Don't worry if they get an education, we don't have the time nor manpower for that. Just pass them through, let the next people down the line, be it employers or trade school instructors, college professors, whoever, have fun with that one. I'm talking good school districts here. A lot of this started with the "leave no child behind", which in other words means if you don't quite "get it", don't worry about it, we've devised ways to pass you through. What a joke. Now they've come up with , oh, I see you having difficulty. Don't worry, we'll drop you to the level below the one you in now. You won't be able to go to college on this, but you be able to graduate on time with your class. Later, if you decide you want to go to college, you can take these courses at a junior college and pay for what you should have learn here for free (well, free for the kid that is, as you know, nothing's free, someone's paying for it).

Or how 'bout summer school. Can't learn it during the year? Just plop your money down, take a crash course during the summer, you bet, it's a pretty good shot you'll get your credit. Did you learn it? No, but you've got your credit, and isn't that what it's all about?

Or how 'bout we just bump you up a grade? I know of a young girl who has failed twice. This year she was supposed to be in the same grade yet again. Her sister told us a few days ago, the school had called and bumped her up a grade. She didn't pass, mind you, but they moved her up anyway. I think her parents should have said no, she'll have to learn it and pass it before she moves on, but they didn't. This is supposely a "good school district". But hey, we've got more people coming in every day, schools are bursting at the seams. The classrooms are overcrowded, teachers are overburdened, both parents are working tying to keep afloat, kids are growing up by the hair of the head, no one seems to have time for them. So, what to do? The school's answer to the problem seems to be,,,,,load 'em up, ship 'em out. It's really sad.
lonestar2007
Member You are right. Well said..Lots of people just do not get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas