U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM

389 posts, read 379,586 times

Advertisements

I've seen all of the samckdown threads and hate posts between the cities of Austin and Dallas. I am however looking for more informative and positive information my future in TX. If this becomes a bashing cntest, mods, feelnfree to shut it down, as there are already plenty of threads for that.

Let me start by saying I will be leaving my current job in three years and have been doing hours and hours of research on where my family(wife and young kid, maybe two by then) will end up. I am originally from MD and we have agreed that we could not keep up the standard of living we would want if we moved back there. I have looked at places within drive of my family in MD, such as NC and Pittsburgh, but nothing appeals to us as much as Texas has. I have also spent probably a years worth of time in San Antonio over the past 5 years in trips and I love everything about Texas.

Originally we were very high on Austin, as I think many younger couples and any transplants are. We love the hill country, I am an avid biker, and it's close to what I know in SA and the theme parks down there. My biggest issue, growing up 30 min from both the attractions in DC and Baltimore, is the perceived lack of attractions in Austin. Austin just seems like such a small city with a big city population and infrastructure. Things that I like to do like going to science museums, going to a botanical garden, and seeing(rooting for) major league sports teams aren't available in Austin.

This brought me to the Dallas area. I am completely smitten with the fact that Ft Worth and Dallas are like two completely different cities in the same metro area. Two museums, two zoos, two botanical gardens, plenty of pro sports teams. But it just doesn't seem that all of the outdoor oppurtunities that are available in Austin are available in Dallas. For reference, I am looking at the city of Frisco near Dallas, I love that the MLS stadium is there and the minor league team is right there if I don't want do drive to Arlington.

This has really gotten to be a major headache point for me because anytime I think I've decided on one, I keep thinking of the redeeming qualities of the other. Some minor points that I may have left out. I know Austin has great minor league teams, but I really feel connection to major league sports to be able to root them on on tv away from home, and I am also a huge soccer fan, which I understand just recently left Austin. Another thing my family is happy for Austin for is the low crime rate, obviously with a new family, crime is an important issue. I'd the drive from northern Austin to Dallas very bad? I see it takes about 3 hrs, is it too much to go up once a week to catch a stars game or to check out the museums?

Thank you to anyone who can shed any light on this dilemma I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,117,982 times
Whether or not the 3 hour drive is suitable is entirely up to you. It makes for a long day with 3 hours up, 3 hours back and 3 hours in sport. Add one or two meal stops and it's a full day. Consider adding an overnight and other activity to make a weekend of it.

It can be done. I made the trip from Houston to Dallas for a Texas/Alabama Cotton Bowl game back around early 70'something. It's interstate all the way, however there will be construction on I-35 from Salado to Temple for a couple of years. I have friends in Denton who take back highways once south of Dallas, to the west side of Austin.

The idea is not unusual. Texans like their getaways, so you won't be alone.

You might read through this post Driving Up I-35 next Friday: Construction Info?, for some further input on the Austin/Dallas drive.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:58 PM

12,761 posts, read 13,023,333 times
I will not argue against Dallas for you. If pro sports is important to you, Austin might not be a good choice. I was once a big pro sports fan, but as the years go on I am less and less interested in it. Even if I were still a big fan, I'm not sure it would be important to me to be in the same city as the teams. Most of all - it isn't worth $100 a ticket for the pleasure. I know it is for some and I'm not trying to be critical.

Driving 3 hours is a no brainer for me. I used to work for a company based in Houston. I drove to Houston 35 times a year - most were overnight trips, but some were day trips. If someone gave me good tickets to the Texans, Rangers, etc. I would happily drive to Dallas or Houston to see a game. No way though would I do it once a week. Once your kids get into their own activities - you won't have free weekends to do that.

BTW - the Longhorns are damn near professional sports. They spend as much money on it.

The theme parks in San Antonio are an easy 90 minute drive. Once again, that is nothing to me. I have been to Sea World and Fiesta Texas multiple times. It is close enough for my family.

Fort Worth by the way is a nice town getting better every year. Downtown is nice, the zoo is very good, and it isn't as big as Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas