U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:17 PM

10,159 posts, read 10,519,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I disagree...I lived in Houston for 45 years and Dallas for 1.5 years and I heard a lot of Texas twang there...or maybe it was Oaklahoma twang but a lot more of it then what I heard in Houston. I lived a stones throw from downtown while in Dallas and I was amazed at the twang I heard everywhere!
I lived here for two years and I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I heard it in the city. Its been a while. I travel to Houston every two weeks for work and Houstonites are both more international and more country to me. There are a lot of good ol boys that work for the oil companies down there, but also more people who seem interested in other cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM

4,047 posts, read 3,877,132 times
Quote:
I lived a stones throw from downtown while in Dallas and I was amazed at the twang I heard everywhere!
That was probably a long time ago in a Galaxy fair fair away.

I live within rock throwing distance from down town Dallas and I'm surrounded by people who migrated there from all over the country. I maybe the only natural born Texan living in Uptown lol And no, I don't have a twang in my voice.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I lived here for two years and I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I heard it in the city. Its been a while. I travel to Houston every two weeks for work and Houstonites are both more international and more country to me. There are a lot of good ol boys that work for the oil companies down there, but also more people who seem interested in other cultures.
Ya, HTown is very diverse...more so than Dallas for sure. I've only spent a little time in HTown and surrounding areas and never heard any twang. I suspect however there is probably some twang once you get out away from the metro area.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Ya, HTown is very diverse...more so than Dallas for sure. I've only spent a little time in HTown and surrounding areas and never heard any twang. I suspect however there is probably some twang once you get out away from the metro area.
If you go down there to visit the oil companies, you will hear lots of it. Just walking the streets, not so much. Just depends on what you're doing. Same is true in Dallas and the others.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
If you go down there to visit the oil companies, you will hear lots of it. Just walking the streets, not so much. Just depends on what you're doing. Same is true in Dallas and the others.
Ya, I'm a West Texas oilfield worker of sorts an agree, they do have some twang. I was just thinking about the over all town.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,372 posts, read 4,180,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
That was probably a long time ago in a Galaxy fair fair away.

I live within rock throwing distance from down town Dallas and I'm surrounded by people who migrated there from all over the country. I maybe the only natural born Texan living in Uptown lol And no, I don't have a twang in my voice.

Actually it was in 2009-2010! I could not believe how many people in Dallas had the twang! Houston is a very international city and yes you will hear the Texas accent there but much more so in Dallas. I have no twang at all...when I tell people here in California that I am from Texas the first thing they say is..."You don't have a Texas accent at all!" I tell them my little story of when I was 3 years old. My mom was getting her hair done and I overheard two ladies talking with the biggest Texas accents I had ever heard. I asked my mom why do those ladies sound so funny when they talk? My mom laughed and said that is what I am going to sound like when I grow up...that was a strong seed she planted in my mind...I was contentious from that day forward to never sound like that when I spoke. Interesting my brother and my mom both sound like Texans but I don't. Only my relatives in Ohio think that I have the Texas accent.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Outside of the good ole boys oil feild rough necks gang you won't find that Texas twang throughout most of Houston.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM

When I finally hear it in the city of Dallas, I'll let you know. Dallas has a very high out of state birth rate (55 percent) so it's hardly the majority of people. I sincerely can't remember the last time I heard someone in Dallas that had a really thick accent that wasn't Mexican.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
When I finally hear it in the city of Dallas, I'll let you know. Dallas has a very high out of state birth rate (55 percent) so it's hardly the majority of people. I sincerely can't remember the last time I heard someone in Dallas that had a really thick accent that wasn't Mexican.
No need to prove it to me...I lived there and heard it for myself...it was the first most noticeable difference I found between Houstonians and Dallasites. It was my first report back to friends and family in Houston...that is how noticeable it was.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Actually it was in 2009-2010! I could not believe how many people in Dallas had the twang! Houston is a very international city and yes you will hear the Texas accent there but much more so in Dallas. I have no twang at all...when I tell people here in California that I am from Texas the first thing they say is..."You don't have a Texas accent at all!" I tell them my little story of when I was 3 years old. My mom was getting her hair done and I overheard two ladies talking with the biggest Texas accents I had ever heard. I asked my mom why do those ladies sound so funny when they talk? My mom laughed and said that is what I am going to sound like when I grow up...that was a strong seed she planted in my mind...I was contentious from that day forward to never sound like that when I spoke. Interesting my brother and my mom both sound like Texans but I don't. Only my relatives in Ohio think that I have the Texas accent.
Interesting, like I said, I'm probably the only Native Texan currently living in Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas