U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 133,154 times
Default Is Texas a good place to live?

THE TRUTH ABOUT EACH CITY! LOL...

I have lived 4yrs in Tyler (High School), 8yrs in Dallas (College), 3 1/2yrs in Waco, 2yrs in Austin, 8 months remote work in San Antonio and now I currently reside in Houston.

I can't wait to finally put Texas behind me. Most of you Texas fanatics are wrong as you probably haven't ventured outside of Texas your whole life. That is another bad thing about Texas, the people. Most of which are VERY close-minded and are VERY unaware of the world around them.

Texas is very hot from May thru October unless you live in Amarillo. Realistically nobody lives in El Paso or Amarillo, no jobs in EITHER or those cities. They're very small towns with poor growth and opportunity. So please don't speak about what you don't know...

Yeah there may be mountains (dirt hills) and interesting landscapes but realistically you would never live in those places. They're a good 7 hours drive from Dallas, Austin or Houston... I'm sorry but I wouldn't drive 7 hours on I-10 or I-20 to see that crap.

Everything is either in Dallas, Austin or Houston in terms of infrastructure, education and job opportunities. The "beaches" are mostly brown and muddy (I live 10mins from Galveston) and let me tell you the people aren't the type of people you want to spend the day on the beach with!!! LOL... You have tattooed homeless people walking around and the atmosphere is very unsettling...

Traffic in Houston, Austin and Dallas are horrible. I know because I commute to all three off and on through-out the months as we have family in both. Houston probably takes the cake in terms of worst traffic. Although Austin comes in second since the roads aren't developed enough to take on the recent influx of business and people from California. Houston definitely has the more "aggressive" drivers when compared to Dallas.

Right now it is 08/16/2011 2:20PM CST and the temp is 102 degrees outside and VERY humid. My glasses fog up when I step outside.

Houston (Last Visit - Currently residing 2011):
- Hot and Very Humid
- Lots of Mosquitoes (Lots of Heart Worm outbreaks. If you have a dog, be sure he is on heart worm meds.)
- Bad Traffic & Aggressive Drivers
- Muddy Beaches
- Lots of industrial along the bay areas
- High concentration of chemical plants
- Mix of conservative and liberal
- Very Blue-Collar (South and East areas w/ exceptions to Boeing, Lockheed and NASA which reside on the Southeast side...)
- Mildly White-Collar (Far North and West areas)
- Everyone drives a pickup truck
- High population of Black/Hispanic
- Bad Crime
- Lots of Toll Roads
- Ugly Downtown
- Everyone works for an Oil company
- More parks and recreation than Dallas or Austin
- Probably the most balanced city in Texas in terms of being open-minded

Dallas (Last Visit - 08/2011):
- Hot but not as humid as Houston
- Bad traffic around I-35, I-20, North Tollway and Central Expressway
- Very White Collar
- Mostly White/Hispanic/Indian (India)
- DISD has poor schools
- W. Plano/Frisco (Nicer Suburb Areas) are 45mins commute to Dallas and very uppity
- Very football/sports oriented, not education oriented
- NO TREES & I MEAN NO TREES
- Very few parks and recreation
- Downtown Areas Bad Crime
- Toll Roads (Not as expensive as Houston Tolls)
- Large and growing homosexual/transsexual population around Cedar Park area (Very Liberal Minded People)

Austin (Last Visit - 04/2011):
- Very Hot & Humid (Not quite as humid as Houston)
- Very Liberal (Most Liberal City in Texas)
- Lots of hippies
- Lots of homosexual & transsexual types
- Lots of Video Game Companies (Sony, Bioware)
- Bad traffic (Comparable to Dallas)
- Bad crime around Austin airport
- Very high rent and home prices
- Very high property taxes
- Very poor highway/road infrastructure
- Mostly White Collar
- Poor food choices outside of downtown Austin area
- No BIG trees, mostly live oak (10ft. max)
- Hills only on the west side surrounding Lake Travis
- Limited parks and recreation (lots of public restricted bird reservations, can we say HIPPIES???)
- 6th street has some neat places but only if you're into late night drinking
- Not a very family oriented place...

San Antonio (Last Visit - 02/2011):
- Very Hot (A little on the dry side of the heat spectrum)
- Lots of good Mexican food
- West San Antonio the nicer part
- Small opportunities outside of major employers such as USAA
- Dirty (roads littered with trash)
- High population of Hispanic
- Mostly Spanish speaking
- River Walk & Alamo are very unimpressive
- Very Catholic
- Mildly Conservative

Tyler (Last Visit - 02/2008):
- Very Hot
- Very Southern Baptist (If you don't go to Green Acres Baptist Church, WATCH OUT!!! LOL)
- Close-Minded People (If you have dark hair and a last name other than Clayton, Smith, Wheeler then you're a terrorist! LOL...)
- Mix of White/Blue Collar
- Poor choice of housing
- Poor choice of food
- Very Conservative (Almost too conservative... No drinking? Dry county? Really?)
- Mostly medical w/ very small IT opportunities
- Poor choices for College (UT Tyler - really? lol...)
- Bad traffic along Broadway (Wait times are comparable to some roads in Houston at 5pm)
- Mostly sandy soil with some pine trees
- Racist in some respects to Blacks/Hispanics
- Mostly White
- Very few public parks and recreation

El Paso (Last Visit - 11/2006):
- Mostly Hispanic
- Very Hot and Very Dry
- Lots of border issues with illegals
- High crime
- No jobs or opportunities
- Good Mexican food
- No trees
- Hills
- Lots of cactus
- No grass

STATEWIDE ISSUES:
- Underpaid State Law Enforcement (DPS) http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainin...ing/salary.htm LOL, REALLY?!?!?! -> 37k Annual
- Underpaid State Workers (County Clerks, Teachers, APS, CPS...) Teachers w/ over 20yrs experience only make -> http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=2147501688 OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!? What a waste of life...

So when you see people crying out "Don't Mess with Texas" it is because they don't want you to find out how horrible it is... Oh and the BBQ is better in the SE than Texas... I'm sorry but your BBQ sauce sucks! :P So there I've said it! Let the flame war and hateful responses begin! LOL... Peace out!

Last edited by bpj82; 08-16-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 PM

995 posts, read 986,860 times
That's a VERY long post. I don't have enough time to read it all, but skimming over has some highlights that I agree with:

"I can't wait to finally put Texas behind me", "too hot", "The "beaches" are mostly brown and muddy", " You have tattooed homeless people walking around and the atmosphere is very unsettling", "Traffic in Houston, Austin and Dallas are horrible". I think you left out pollution and the increasingly third-world appearance that much of the Bayou City has been taking on in the last two decades.

Let me put it clear Texis talk: "I ain't gonna dissagree with ya. Dem words iz accurate". You've got to admit, people will fool themselves and do all they can to project an image (or maintain an image) for state promotion or state pride (LOL), no matter how much foolish or ridiculous that gets. It will be fun to laugh at from the outside one day.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM

659 posts, read 692,110 times
I like the part where the OP says everyone drives a pick up truck! Wow, I've lived here since 95 and don't know more than a couple of people who drive a pick up. Most people in my area drive new, foreign vehicles. I never really see a chemical plant, BTW, unless I'm driving east for some inexplicable reason.

I also like how the OP mentioned (as a negative) that there's a high population of black and hispanic. Yeah, OP's forward thinkinig. What a bigot.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 PM

687 posts, read 812,364 times
Hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere. Texas certainly isn't for everyone. Seems like you spend a lot of time focusing on what you don't like about living here. Yes, there are closed-minded people who probably don't get out of the state too often, but I tend to avoid spending time around people like that. This state is big enough that you can usually find what you are looking for, although you might have to dig. If all you focus on are your gripes about living here, no wonder you are so unhappy.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 PM

419 posts, read 530,368 times
Good job on the stereotypes!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,218,429 times
Too long; didn't read.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:43 PM

3,351 posts, read 1,253,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpj82 View Post

I have lived 4yrs in Tyler (High School), 8yrs in Dallas (College), 3 1/2yrs in Waco, 2yrs in Austin, 8 months remote work in San Antonio and now I currently reside in Houston.

I can't wait to finally put Texas behind me. Most of you Texas fanatics are wrong as you probably haven't ventured outside of Texas your whole life. That is another bad thing about Texas, the people. Most of which are VERY close-minded and are VERY unaware of the world around them.

Texas is very hot from May thru October unless you live in Amarillo. Realistically nobody lives in El Paso or Amarillo, no jobs in EITHER or those cities. They're very small towns with poor growth and opportunity. So please don't speak about what you don't know...

Yeah there may be mountains (dirt hills) and interesting landscapes but realistically you would never live in those places. They're a good 7 hours drive from Dallas, Austin or Houston... I'm sorry but I wouldn't drive 7 hours on I-10 or I-20 to see that crap.

Everything is either in Dallas, Austin or Houston in terms of infrastructure, education and job opportunities. The "beaches" are mostly brown and muddy (I live 10mins from Galveston) and let me tell you the people aren't the type of people you want to spend the day on the beach with!!! LOL... You have tattooed homeless people walking around and the atmosphere is very unsettling...

Traffic in Houston, Austin and Dallas are horrible. I know because I commute to all three off and on through-out the months as we have family in both. Houston probably takes the cake in terms of worst traffic. Although Austin comes in second since the roads aren't developed enough to take on the recent influx of business and people from California. Houston definitely has the more "aggressive" drivers when compared to Dallas.

Right now it is 08/16/2011 2:20PM CST and the temp is 102 degrees outside and VERY humid. My glasses fog up when I step outside.

- Hot and Very Humid
- Lots of Mosquitoes (Lots of Heart Worm outbreaks. If you have a dog, be sure he is on heart worm meds.)
- Bad Traffic & Aggressive Drivers
- Muddy Beaches
- Lots of industrial along the bay areas
- High concentration of chemical plants
- Mix of conservative and liberal
- Very Blue-Collar (South and East areas w/ exceptions to Boeing, Lockheed and NASA which reside on the Southeast side...)
- Mildly White-Collar (Far North and West areas)
- Everyone drives a pickup truck
- High population of Black/Hispanic
- Bad Crime
- Lots of Toll Roads
- Ugly Downtown
- Everyone works for an Oil company
- More parks and recreation than Dallas or Austin
- Probably the most balanced city in Texas in terms of being open-minded

- Hot but not as humid as Houston
- Bad traffic around I-35, I-20, North Tollway and Central Expressway
- Very White Collar
- DISD has poor schools
- W. Plano/Frisco (Nicer Suburb Areas) are 45mins commute to Dallas and very uppity
- Very football/sports oriented, not education oriented
- NO TREES & I MEAN NO TREES
- Very few parks and recreation
- Downtown Areas Bad Crime
- Toll Roads (Not as expensive as Houston Tolls)
- Large and growing homosexual/transsexual population around Cedar Park area (Very Liberal Minded People)

Austin (Last Visit - 04/2011):
- Very Hot & Humid (Not quite as humid as Houston)
- Very Liberal (Most Liberal City in Texas)
- Lots of hippies
- Lots of homosexual & transsexual types
- Lots of Video Game Companies (Sony, Bioware)
- Bad traffic (Comparable to Dallas)
- Bad crime around Austin airport
- Very high rent and home prices
- Very high property taxes
- Very poor highway/road infrastructure
- Mostly White Collar
- Poor food choices outside of downtown Austin area
- No BIG trees, mostly live oak (10ft. max)
- Hills only on the west side surrounding Lake Travis
- Limited parks and recreation (lots of public restricted bird reservations, can we say HIPPIES???)
- 6th street has some neat places but only if you're into late night drinking
- Not a very family oriented place...

San Antonio (Last Visit - 02/2011):
- Very Hot (A little on the dry side of the heat spectrum)
- Lots of good Mexican food
- West San Antonio the nicer part
- Small opportunities outside of major employers such as USAA
- Dirty (roads littered with trash)
- High population of Hispanic
- Mostly Spanish speaking
- River Walk & Alamo are very unimpressive
- Very Catholic
- Mildly Conservative

Tyler (Last Visit - 02/2008):
- Very Hot
- Very Southern Baptist (If you don't go to Green Acres Baptist Church, WATCH OUT!!! LOL)
- Close-Minded People (If you have dark hair and a last name other than Clayton, Smith, Wheeler then you're a terrorist! LOL...)
- Mix of White/Blue Collar
- Poor choice of housing
- Poor choice of food
- Very Conservative (Almost too conservative... No drinking? Dry county? Really?)
- Mostly medical w/ very small IT opportunities
- Poor choices for College (UT Tyler - really? lol...)
- Bad traffic along Broadway (Wait times are comparable to some roads in Houston at 5pm)
- Mostly sandy soil with some pine trees
- Racist in some respects to Blacks/Hispanics
- Mostly White
- Very few public parks and recreation

El Paso (Last Visit - 11/2006):
- Mostly Hispanic
- Very Hot and Very Dry
- Lots of border issues with illegals
- High crime
- No jobs or opportunities
- Good Mexican food
- No trees
- Hills
- Lots of cactus
- No grass

STATEWIDE ISSUES:
- Underpaid State Law Enforcement (DPS) TxDPS - Trooper Salary Schedule LOL, REALLY?!?!?! -> 37k Annual
- Underpaid State Workers (County Clerks, Teachers, APS, CPS...) Teachers w/ over 20yrs experience only make -> Texas Education Agency - 2011-2012 Minimum Salary Schedule OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!? What a waste of life...

So when you see people crying out "Don't Mess with Texas" it is because they don't want you to find out how horrible it is... Oh and the BBQ is better in the SE than Texas... I'm sorry but your BBQ sauce sucks! :P So there I've said it! Let the flame war and hateful responses begin! LOL... Peace out!

Wrong, I have traveled probably 10x more than you and grew up in New York state. Texas is far better than New York that is for sure.

Let me guess, you are a "true believer" Democrat.

As an independent myself, todays Dem is about the most close minded type of person

Go ahead and move, Texas does not need you

Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 PM

815 posts, read 957,301 times
Quote:

I can't wait to finally put Texas behind me.

You better! We don't want to hang out with people who are negative. I really want to put insulting words at you but I know I'll get banned for it so ha.

Most of you Texas fanatics are wrong as you probably haven't ventured outside of Texas your whole life. That is another bad thing about Texas, the people. Most of which are VERY close-minded and are VERY unaware of the world around them.

Um ok. I'm still wondering why you haven't left yet.

Don't be a wuss for thinking Texas is very hot. DUH!!! Just make sure you drink enough water so you don't die.

Same here but I only need to drive through there to go to Colorado or New Mexico. That's all.

Everything is either in Dallas, Austin or Houston in terms of infrastructure, education and job opportunities.

So what?

The "beaches" are mostly brown and muddy (I live 10mins from Galveston) and let me tell you the people aren't the type of people you want to spend the day on the beach with!!! LOL... You have tattooed homeless people walking around and the atmosphere is very unsettling...

Very very stereotype. Let me stereotype for once... Please don't move to Northwest if you don't want to be around tattooed homeless people walking around. Once again, that was stereotype but at least that is what I saw in many places in Northeast.

Oh and another thing, since you had problems with close-minded people... Why did you complain about tattooed homeless people? You shouldn't judge right?

Traffic in Houston, Austin and Dallas are horrible. I know because I commute to all three off and on through-out the months as we have family in both.

Don't move to Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Chicago, or Boston if you have a problem with traffic. Just giving you an advice.

Houston probably takes the cake in terms of worst traffic. Although Austin comes in second since the roads aren't developed enough to take on the recent influx of business and people from California. Houston definitely has the more "aggressive" drivers when compared to Dallas.

So what? Texas is growing like crazy so it takes time to develop roads.

So what? You need to pack up and leave right now if you don't like it.

- Hot and Very Humid OK, P*****.

- Lots of Mosquitoes (Lots of Heart Worm outbreaks. If you have a dog, be sure he is on heart worm meds.) OMG. Are you really that s*****.

- Bad Traffic & Aggressive Drivers Stereotype and so is NYC.

- Muddy Beaches You shouldn't have lived here.

- Lots of industrial along the bay areas OK?

- High concentration of chemical plants But we need them...

- Mix of conservative and liberal Stereotype

- Very Blue-Collar (South and East areas w/ exceptions to Boeing,

Lockheed and NASA which reside on the Southeast side...) But we need them, sounds like you're saying that you have a problem with blue-collar.

- Mildly White-Collar (Far North and West areas) And Southwest.

- Everyone drives a pickup truck Is that a bad thing? Wow. I'm speechless.

- High population of Black/Hispanic Wait, you're a racist now... Sounds like you're closed-minded too. HAHAHA. Wow, you're entertaning.
- Bad Crime I can name cities worst than Houston in terms of crime.

- Lots of Toll Roads But they aren't as expensive as San Francisco or Northeast.
- Ugly Downtown That is an opinion so I'll respect that.
- Everyone works for an Oil company Stereotype
- More parks and recreation than Dallas or Austin OK.
- Probably the most balanced city in Texas in terms of being open-minded Stereotype

- Hot but not as humid as Houston Barely.
- Bad traffic around I-35, I-20, North Tollway and Central Expressway Stereotype but really come on, I-20 is a cross country road. North Tollway is not that bad.
- Very White Collar OK
- Mostly White/Hispanic/Indian (India) So what?
- W. Plano/Frisco (Nicer Suburb Areas) are 45mins commute to Dallas and very uppity Sounds like you have a problem with that. If you don't like it then why don't you convince urban planners to fix that by building high-density in Dallas.
- Very football/sports oriented, not education oriented Stereotype
- NO TREES & I MEAN NO TREES Did you think Dallas was supposed to be in East Texas?
- Very few parks and recreation OK.
- Downtown Areas Bad Crime Stereotype unless you can show me some statistics compare to all major cities in the US.

So when you see people crying out "Don't Mess with Texas" it is because they don't want you to find out how horrible it is...

Obviously, you just made it up so cool.

Oh and the BBQ is better in the SE than Texas... I'm sorry but your BBQ sauce sucks!

Why don't you move there, re****. At least, Texas has the real Mexican food.

:P So there I've said it! Let the flame war and hateful responses begin! LOL... Peace out!
I didn't bother to respond to San Antonio, Austin, and Tyler since I got too tired to respond to all of your negative posts.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 PM

4,047 posts, read 3,863,499 times
Quote:
Cool, I can't wait for you to leave as well...I got a truck, let me know and I can help speed things up

Heck, we've probably seen more of this country than you and can live anywhere but we choose Texas.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:09 PM

9 posts, read 133,154 times
LOL... Actually I am not a "demotard" so nice try. :-)

Man this is too easy... LOL...

Why all the anger? I'm sorry but drive through the 5th ward downtown Houston and you will see stereotypes! That is if you make it through the 5th ward with your personal items still in tact... Some how we got more of those "black" people from Louisiana and things got worse... Oh and yes you are "BLACK" because you call me "WHITE" so there... Seriously... So tired of conforming to these stupid name calling "rules"... lol...

Nobody drives a pickup truck? Sir, what rock do you live under? Do I really need to take iPhone photos? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas