Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 03:53 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,049,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Huh? Are you saying Physics is more important than Psychology?
They are DIFFERENT. Physics has laws. For example, the law of gravity.
Psychology and some more broad areas of Biological Science (e.g. macroevolution) are at least partially based on theory, some of which are more solid than others, and many of which are still being researched.

Still, they are all sciences and yes, use the scientific method. Yet, they cannot all be looked at or scrutizined equally. That is where the other poster's argument was a fail.

Quote:
Perry is certainly not stupid enough
Really? There goes the argument of the "dumb Texan" so many have pandered. Darn.

Quote:
to make the 6,000 year/dinosaur claim, but that is certainly the position that some of his base take.
The other poster said he did. I'm still waiting for evidence of when this was actually said.

As far as the rest, I'd bet it is a very small minority of his base who really still thinks that. The idea that science and Christianity are in conflict is a very antiquated one. We're not in the middle ages anymore. http://www.reasons.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Discuss the topic, please and not each other. Once replies start including the word "you," the thread starts starts heading out of Texas and into Personal Attack Land. Trust me, nobody who's still a member in good standing wants to leave Texas and go there.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
In a word, yes.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Psychology and some more broad areas of Biological Science (e.g. macroevolution) are at least partially based on theory, some of which are more solid than others, and many of which are still being researched.

Still, they are all sciences and yes, use the scientific method. Yet, they cannot all be looked at or scrutizined equally. That is where the other poster's argument was a fail.

Really? There goes the argument of the "dumb Texan" so many have pandered. Darn.

The other poster said he did. I'm still waiting for evidence of when this was actually said.

As far as the rest, I'd bet it is a very small minority of his base who really still thinks that. The idea that science and Christianity are in conflict is a very antiquated one. We're not in the middle ages anymore. http://www.reasons.org/
You* will probably be as surprised and shocked as I was to read this, I came across it just this morning.

Quote:
Texans: Dinosaurs, Humans Walked the Earth at Same Time; Public Education | The Texas Tribune
by Ross Ramsey 2/17/2010

Nearly a third of Texans believe humans and dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time, and more than half disagree with the theory that humans developed from earlier species of animals, according to the University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

Republicans are less likely to believe that humans developed from earlier species of animals; 26 percent agree, while 60 percent disagree. Among Democrats in the survey, 46 percent agree that humans evolved from earlier species; 42 percent disagree. Perry's voters were most hostile to this premise — 67 percent disagree.

About the same numbers of Democrats and Republicans — 43 percent — disagree with the idea that dinosaurs and humans lived on the planet at the same time. Republicans were slightly more likely to agree with the idea (31 percent to 27 percent). Perry had more voters in each group on the GOP side, but Kay Bailey Hutchison had the largest share of voters who believe in that coexistence.
* no offense intended Bo!

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-28-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Perhaps we arguing against two different things or we're splitting hairs.

Quote:
Unfortunately it isn't. Evolution should be the only thing taught in public science classes, not creationism and not intelligent design.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Arguments over religion and the monkey business should have no place in this election as those topics have no bearing on how well Perry could handle the disaster that is Washington DC.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Not embarrassed by Perry at all, especially once I got to know his beliefs on my own, over what the media chose to tell me.

I am, however, embarrassed by many Americans in this thread. Depressing.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 PM

59 posts, read 96,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Not embarrassed by Perry at all, especially once I got to know his beliefs on my own, over what the media chose to tell me.
And if your beliefs happen to not be the ones he has you can go jump off a cliff as far as he's concerned. There in lies the problem.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Morally & ethically speaking, Perry is Texas' version of Bill Clinton.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
I was interested to hear from my stepfather, who lives in Stillwater OK, that Perry,"has been getting a lot of press around here lately, most of it bad", in an email the other day. I've no idea what paper they read in Stillwater but I thought it interesting that Perry is reportedly getting a lot of bad press in conservative Oklahoma.

No doubt someone on this thread will now retort that it's just all due to "jealousy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas