Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 PM

45 posts, read 117,635 times

Advertisements

In the past few years I keep hearing that Texas has a very good and growing economy. Frankly I hate cold weather and I'm sure that Texas is a tad warmer than Ohio. I do not know anyone on a personal level to ask so I happened upon this wonderful forum. Maybe someone can help me with my question.

According to Wikipedia Dallas is the third largest city in Texas and Houston is the fourth. So I'm considering one of those two. To be more specific I'm not wanting to move into the city itself, as I hate city life. I'm wanting to move within 30 to 60 miles of the city. Close enough for me to drive to town and find work, but far out enough for me to not have visible neighbors. If anyone is familiar with Ohio (where I currently live) Adams county is exactly the kind of area I'd like to find in Texas. I was considering actually moving to Adams county for a few years, however I've decided that I am really getting sick of winter and I'm sure that will only get worse as I get older. Also there are several laws in Ohio that just make me sick to my stomach.

I'm not looking for a huge plot of land, I was thinking something like 5 - 10 acres. Also being near a river (large or small) and or a lake would be nice as I enjoy fishing. There are two lakes in Ohio that I love, those being East Fork Lake and Caesar Creek. I'm not all that interested in Ocean fishing.

The idea of being somewhat self-sufficient is appealing to me. Not quite wanting to move off the grid but I did grow up on a small chicken farm. Growing up we grew most of our own food and using canning we had most of our vegetables to last us through the winter months. Honestly I think chickens are probably the easiest animals to take care of. So, are there any live stock laws I should be aware of?

I enjoy shooting rifles. Mostly for fun, I'm not really a hunter. I'm not opposed to the idea, I've just never really been shown the art of hunting and dressing an animal. So, I'd like to have the freedom to shoot bottles or cans on my property.

I am an avid online video gamer, so having internet service is a must for me. Here in Ohio I use Time Warner.

I have been a painter/wallpaper hanger for 13 years. Recently, probably due to a crappy economy, work has not been flowing in like it was in the early to mid 90's. So I've taken up a factory job to put bread and butter on the table and doing any paint jobs I can pick up. I think Sherwin Williams is a national chain, so if there is one some-what near an area that fits my description that would be good. While on that topic, is there any thing I should know about being self employed in Texas? Specifically as a painter?

I think that is most of what I'm looking for. It seems Dallas or Houston seem likely choices for me. I was thinking of moving in roughly 5 years (although the sooner the better ) that should give me time to save a bit of money. I am currently going through a bankruptcy, so I'm sure it'll be at least a year before it would be feasible for me to move. Unless of course I could find a cheap 2 bedroom apartment that allows cats and is not buried in the heart of a city, that would allow me a place to live until I saved up enough money to buy my little dream home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Houston and Dallas are mega-cities. People commute from mega-burbs 45-60 miles out, which translates with traffic to 90 minutes + of drive time.

You might want to focus on areas around smaller cities, like Tyler or Lufkin. Populations are roughly 100,000 but offer plenty of things to fill your needs, and drives to Dallas or Houston would be more in the 1 1/2 -2 hours range for more citified trips.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_the_[B
fart[/b]_guy;20537405]Which city should I move to in Texas?
The East side of Houston, your smells will fit right in there with all the refineries and chemical plants.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM

I think that I would hate that kind of a comute. However, I was hoping to find work (people that want to hire a painter/wallpaper hanger) in middle - upper class subdivisions that often surround major cites. Currently I'm 30 miles north of Cincinnati. It's not a bad drive for me to get into the city, I don't really like cities, but sometimes there is a service or business I have to utilize. Also, I was trying to be some-what near a major airport in case my family decides to fly down and visit me ever so often.

One thing I was hoping also to avoid is a high crime rate area. Not that you can ever completely escape crime, but I have no idea of any "bad parts" of Texas that I should avoid. I was focusing my attention to Dallas or Houston, but if there is a somewhat smaller city in Texas, possibly like the ones you listed, then I'd consider that as well. To me Cincinnati is plenty "big enough" I just don't know of any semi-major airports in other cities besides Houston or Dallas.

And I'm glad you noticed my name. I enjoy humor in my life, so thank you for responding to my user name. Thank you very much for the feedback, I most likely will be visiting this thread every day to see any other advice that someone can give me.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:10 PM

...just remembered, one of "those laws" that I hate about Ohio is that there are only certain counties that your allowed to put a trailer on. I mean, there are trailer parks that you can move into, but you can't just purchase a mobile home and plop it down on property that you own. I've lived in a trailer most of my adult life, I currently am in an apartment. Honestly it's not that I want to move into a trailer again, but I like having the option to do what I want. Is Texas like that? Honestly I don't even know.

Land of the free home of the...er wait, I guess the word free should have an asterisk next to it. So... "Land of the *free home of the brave".

*Note: You can't place a trailer "here" you can't buy alcohol in "this" county, you can't smoke near "this" building or within 90 feet of it (even though it's outdoors), you can't have a truck parked in "this" neighborhood (yes there really are parts of town in Ohio where the residents have voted that it makes the neighborhood look to trashy).

Oh geeze, sorry, sorry, I didn't mean to hop on my soapbox, my bad. I think though that Texas is a little more "free" spirited in that sense though...isn't it?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_the_fart_guy View Post
...just remembered, one of "those laws" that I hate about Ohio is that there are only certain counties that your allowed to put a trailer on. I mean, there are trailer parks that you can move into, but you can't just purchase a mobile home and plop it down on property that you own.
City regulations will very from county regulations.

I mean you probably want find a place in Plano where you can live out of an RV or trailer but that all changes once you get outside the city limits. Once you get out away from town you can plop a trailer or RV on your own land.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
You must not know much about Texas. There are plenty of rules. Some towns are "dry" here too, so research before you come. This idea of living 30-60 miles from town and having a reasonable drive would be true if you lived in a smaller town. Near any of the major cities, it's going to be a joke. Also, finding work as a painter? Notice how close we are to the border? It's common that no one on the construction or painting crew speaks English. You may have a hard time finding work at a liveable wage.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_the_fart_guy View Post
According to Wikipedia Dallas is the third largest city in Texas and Houston is the fourth.
lol Wikipedia told you fibs.

As a metro with FW, Dallas is bigger than San Antonio.
As a city Houston is the 4th largest in the US, not in Texas. It is the largest in Texas. Anyway, if you hate city life, the suburbs are a near escape

Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
A few miles north of Denton (north of Dallas) is a town called Sanger, east of I-35.. Near Sanger is a mobile home park, some with large lots. Not necessarily a lot of trees though. The street name is Doc Holiday Road. You can find it on Google maps. Some local residents there commute to Dallas.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 AM

578 posts, read 1,227,481 times
North DFW suburbs are where you need to be around. So look just north of Denton, Frisco, McKinney.
For Houston: Brookshire/Sealy would provide you with good access to NW burbs, Katy, and SW burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas