U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 PM

79 posts, read 68,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Bulls__! I've been on the river and I've never seen all the cans. This is about the social conservatives who want to ban alcohol. Those of us in the know remember that this is the third go-round that the religious conservatives have waged against alcoholic beverages. Twice before the similarly-crafted ordinances have been rescinded (along with the author of the ordinance getting bounced)!

The issue with regarding the lost revenue will be big in the next city council elections. (For those of you who care) Expect Mayor Popsipil to get defeated a pro-business, fiscal republican sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce, and ordinance rescinded - again!
Be sure and watch the video...

Trashing Texas – Is any place worse than the Comal River? Let’s have a contest to see! | Outdoors | a Chron.com blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,207,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
I did. And what? Many businesses in New Braunfels depend on supplying tubers with alcohol, food, and lodging accomodations. There is already a fund in place specifically designed to help pay for the regular clean-ups by the city as well as volunteer clean-ups.

The same businesses were willing pay more for city clean-ups as well as charge users extra to accomplish the same goal. There is no need for such a drastic action (of still questionable compliance not to mention legality) when the clean-ups were already a good revenue stream for the city.

I repeat: as has happened twice before (last time in 2007), the action of the Mayor and council has very little to do with "trash". Rather, to help Keep New Braunfels 'God-fearing Christian'..

However, I am not worried because I know the Mayor's social-con, Crusader behind is going to be out next election because the Chamber is not happy. Regional tourism is not a business in New Braunfels, it's the business..

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I did. And what? Many businesses in New Braunfels depend on supplying tubers with alcohol, food, and lodging accomodations. There is already a fund in place specifically designed to help pay for the regular clean-ups by the city as well as volunteer clean-ups.

The same businesses were willing pay more for city clean-ups as well as charge users extra to accomplish the same goal. There is no need for such a drastic action (of still questionable compliance not to mention legality) when the clean-ups were already a good revenue stream for the city.

I repeat: as has happened twice before (last time in 2007), the action of the Mayor and council has very little to do with "trash". Rather, to help Keep New Braunfels 'God-fearing Christian'..

However, I am not worried because I know the Mayor's social-con crusader behind is going to be out next election because the Chamber is not happy. Regional tourism is not a business in New Braunfels, it's the business..
You are entitled to your opinion just as I am to mine. I prefer not to float in what has become a sewer and as a taxpayer in NB, I am sick of having our town trashed b/c the poor little darlin's weren't taught respect and manners. We don't know what will happen in the future but like any other cliquish town, there are a few that are used to getting their way no matter the cost to others. I welcome this ban and will do whatever I can to help keep it viable.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 AM

11,806 posts, read 13,829,892 times
I'm sure a lot of people will be ticked off at me for saying so, but it seems to me that the litterers brought it upon themselves. Why is it asking so much for people to clean up the mess they make and take some personal responsibility, rather than expecting someone else to take care of it?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,207,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm sure a lot of people will be ticked off at me for saying so, but it seems to me that the litterers brought it upon themselves. Why is it asking so much for people to clean up the mess they make and take some personal responsibility, rather than expecting someone else to take care of it?
Who said someone is expecting someone else to take care of it? In New Braunfels, there is already money set aside to do the clean-up. It's happens on most major waterways in urban areas in Texas. Believe it or not, the current litter situation on the Comal is not unusual, in fact, it is seasonal, not year around. Problem which business has been taking care of which is why the actions of city council are unnecessary and are a smoke screen for the real issue they are trying to attack: alcohol on the river itself.

People, the self-righteous indignation from some of the public who either don't care or don't know the details of the current situation is getting old...

This is Texas: yes, we don't need government to everything for us. There are some things we can do for ourselves and clean up is one thing river businesses HAVE been doing! Now, I shouldn't have to explain the Comal River situation again!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 AM

3,519 posts, read 1,801,070 times
Of course some of the churches are going to support the ban, that's a given. But to accuse a whole town full of German heritage beer drinking folks is a little too much. Besides I saw a picture of the mayor celebrating her win with a glass of brew. The vote was 5 to 1, so there is a problem. Instead of having to hold a trashfest Texas Gulf Coast Council of Diving Clubs how about the rafters snap a few photos of the offenders and posting their mugs online. The shame might put a stop to the nonsense or at least result in a fine. If I still floated the river, I won't want a ban either, but these pigs need to stop messing with the river.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 AM

8,694 posts, read 17,643,517 times
Quote:
I've been on the river and I've never seen all the cans.
The Comal? Right? We are talking about the same river?

Although, honestly, he floods do wash a lot of it downstream, although I suspect that can't really be considered 'cleaning-up'. The real issue, I think, is the damage done to the property along the sides of the river - urinating, leaving cans and cigarette butts, and generally tearing up the shoreline.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 AM

4,167 posts, read 6,617,398 times
Does anyone honestly think that this type of ban would affect the tourism of NB or the draw of people to the river? I think the effect would be zilch.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 AM

8,694 posts, read 17,643,517 times
Quote:
Does anyone honestly think that this type of ban would affect the tourism of NB or the draw of people to the river? I think the effect would be zilch.
I don’t know the overall effect, but it is more than ‘zilch’.

Years ago, right after they first banned Styrofoam and glass containers, we went tubing down the river. We had a big group of friends and co-workers and an assistant manager from the restaurant most of them worked at, as well as the manager’s wife. We were mostly 20 and 30 somethings, no teenagers, a couple of younger kids (I think they were 10 or 11) of one of the couples with us. We gathered at the local HEB to carpool down there and pick up supplies – sandwich materials, snacks, etc. We didn’t have any alcohol, I don’t think, but maybe there was, it has been years. Anyway, as we were getting ready to leave, the manager realizes he has forgotten to get mayonnaise for his sandwich. He runs into HEB and gets a small jar (2 or 3 oz?) and pack it in the Coleman cooler with the other stuff.

On the river, we passed through a ‘checkpoint’ manned by ‘deputized’ local citizens supervised by an actual deputy. They need to inspect all our cooler and supplies for prohibited items, they tell us. Sure, we say. We are friendly, polite, down-right affable for the whole procedure. They are arrogant, rude, obnoxious, and condescending, even using vulgar language on occasion. Some of that is probably redundant, but it still grates on me today. They discover our contraband – a tiny unopened GLASS jar of mayonnaise. We are very embarrassed and hand over the contraband, while the attitude of the deputies deteriorates, if that is possible. The manager is issued a citation for $200 by the supervising deputy. To the credit of the actual deputy, he is obviously embarrassed by the citizens’ poor behavior and tells us which judge we should probably try to get the ‘case’ in front of.

Long story already, but the manager got the ticket reduced to the minimum of $50. Neither he (nor his wife) will ever tube the Comal again. Probably not visit NB, even, unless it is under duress. The parents of the two kids will probably never go again, since their kids were pretty shaken up by the whole event. It is hard to explain, but I doubt that these kids had ever seen adults behave so poorly. And the whole while, other tubers are floating down the river publicly intoxicated and smoking pot. Dozens within sight of the checkpoint, yet our accidently jar cost a lot more. It was rather comical, in a sad sort of way.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I don’t know the overall effect, but it is more than ‘zilch’.

Years ago, right after they first banned Styrofoam and glass containers, we went tubing down the river. We had a big group of friends and co-workers and an assistant manager from the restaurant most of them worked at, as well as the manager’s wife. We were mostly 20 and 30 somethings, no teenagers, a couple of younger kids (I think they were 10 or 11) of one of the couples with us. We gathered at the local HEB to carpool down there and pick up supplies – sandwich materials, snacks, etc. We didn’t have any alcohol, I don’t think, but maybe there was, it has been years. Anyway, as we were getting ready to leave, the manager realizes he has forgotten to get mayonnaise for his sandwich. He runs into HEB and gets a small jar (2 or 3 oz?) and pack it in the Coleman cooler with the other stuff.

On the river, we passed through a ‘checkpoint’ manned by ‘deputized’ local citizens supervised by an actual deputy. They need to inspect all our cooler and supplies for prohibited items, they tell us. Sure, we say. We are friendly, polite, down-right affable for the whole procedure. They are arrogant, rude, obnoxious, and condescending, even using vulgar language on occasion. Some of that is probably redundant, but it still grates on me today. They discover our contraband – a tiny unopened GLASS jar of mayonnaise. We are very embarrassed and hand over the contraband, while the attitude of the deputies deteriorates, if that is possible. The manager is issued a citation for $200 by the supervising deputy. To the credit of the actual deputy, he is obviously embarrassed by the citizens’ poor behavior and tells us which judge we should probably try to get the ‘case’ in front of.

Long story already, but the manager got the ticket reduced to the minimum of $50. Neither he (nor his wife) will ever tube the Comal again. Probably not visit NB, even, unless it is under duress. The parents of the two kids will probably never go again, since their kids were pretty shaken up by the whole event. It is hard to explain, but I doubt that these kids had ever seen adults behave so poorly. And the whole while, other tubers are floating down the river publicly intoxicated and smoking pot. Dozens within sight of the checkpoint, yet our accidently jar cost a lot more. It was rather comical, in a sad sort of way.
I'm sorry this happened to you. But it's like getting stopped for a traffic ticket when the guy next to you was passing you like you were standing still and gets away scott free.

As far as costs, not only will it exceed 1 million dollars this year to clean everything up, the fee does nothing to offset the additional costs of extra police officers or the cleanup of the parks paid for by the taxpayers. As someone commented, this whole situation has been perpetuated by irresponsible and disrespectful people who think nothing of trashing people's property. What makes them think I enjoy cleaning up after them all summer long? As I said, we have owned our property since 1974, long before the commercialization of the town. I have no problem with visitors coming and enjoying our town and rivers but it has gone too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas