U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,303,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
George Bush. That's why.

Lol, no, I can kinda relate to what homeinatx was saying. It's almost cute, how some people take such great pride in being Texan. It's mostly harmless, aside from the concern that too much pride prevents improvement.
Despite the fact that Bush was governor, he's no Texan. He's an East Coast elite, and always has been. He's always been a wannabe to me.

There is still nothing wrong in taking pride in being Texan. Since you stated that you don't like the general culture of the state, I wonder why you stay.

Sure, some people carry it to extremes, and some are real *****h***s about being native Texans.

But that is definitely not the majority.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 PM

5,926 posts, read 2,405,739 times
Cathy, I stay because I don't have the money to leave quite yet, as explained in the thread where that question of yours belongs! Grrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Sure, some people carry it to extremes, and some are real *****h***s about being native Texans...
*whips out dictionary*

What the heck is a *****h***?

No, I wouldn't say the majority of Texans are filled with too much state pride. But I wouldn't doubt Texas is more infested with it than any other state.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,303,474 times
City Data edited what I wrote....I even used partial *, and it STILL edited it out.

Hint...it starts with an a and ends in hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Cathy, I stay because I don't have the money to leave quite yet, as explained in the thread where that question of yours belongs! Grrr

*whips out dictionary*

What the heck is a *****h***?

No, I wouldn't say the majority of Texans are filled with too much state pride. But I wouldn't doubt Texas is more infested with it than any other state.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 PM

16,500 posts, read 22,978,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
This a good point and I strongly agree. The strong beleifs ingrained in Texas history and laws have realyl kept the state from reaching its full potential.

Overall, Texas pride is harmless and not about demeaning and downing others places, but simply just being proud of our history and culture. I just don't understand why New Yorkers always get a pass; they're worse.
Just curious here - full potential defined as what, and by who?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 PM

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up Cathy! And thanks to City Data for protecting my virgin eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Colorado, and by God almighty.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,964,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I don't really want to get too specific, but just the general politics here in Texas. Religion being mixed in with the education system is one thing.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 AM

748 posts, read 1,206,256 times
Just tried to read through the thread...I am surprised no one mentioned South Carolina! We often hear here in South Carolina that the one thing that Texas and South Carolina have in common are the outward display of state pride in out respective states. About every other car on the road here has a Palmetto tree and crescent moon sticker on it (the SC State Flag). It is a real symbol of state pride that has also been marketed in countless ways - you see it all over the place on t-shirts, flip flops, names of companies, etc. Plus many native South Carolinians tend to be very enthusiastic about the history and culture of the state, can recite the state motto on command, etc.

It has always seemed to me that South Carolina and Texas are the only two states where people display the state flag prominently on vehicles and clothing as a symbol of pride and solidarity.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM

681 posts, read 753,660 times
I think that some folks are just plain jealous of Texas. Big state with lots of pride, big cities, emerging economy, affordable, different geographic regions, okay folks with lots of good eatin. Hell I would be jealous to if I weren't from here.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 02-04-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 12:19 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,202,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Just tried to read through the thread...I am surprised no one mentioned South Carolina! We often hear here in South Carolina that the one thing that Texas and South Carolina have in common are the outward display of state pride in out respective states. About every other car on the road here has a Palmetto tree and crescent moon sticker on it (the SC State Flag). It is a real symbol of state pride that has also been marketed in countless ways - you see it all over the place on t-shirts, flip flops, names of companies, etc. Plus many native South Carolinians tend to be very enthusiastic about the history and culture of the state, can recite the state motto on command, etc.

It has always seemed to me that South Carolina and Texas are the only two states where people display the state flag prominently on vehicles and clothing as a symbol of pride and solidarity.
H*ll yes! We spent a week in Charleston and the surrounding area (stunning!) and I remarked to the gf that there was a lot of state pride there - just like home! Plus everyone was super friendly, like Texas. It just felt right in Charleston! We brought back some paraphernalia with the Palmetto tree and crescent!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I think that some folks are just plain jealous of Texas. Big state with lots of pride, big cities, emerging economy, affordable, different geographic regions, okay folks with lots of good eatin...
...none of that pesky water junk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas