Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:31 PM

347 posts, read 467,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStorm72 View Post
If you are the type that can't handle 80s for a high and require many days of minus degree temps with many inches of snowfall every winter, I have news for you pal, Texas is not for you!

The following is simply my opinion as to what the weather is like in Texas every year:

Jan-Feb is winter. 2nd half of Feb sometimes feels like early spring.

March-April is spring. 2nd half of April can have a few days that are as hot as summer, but it is usually not persistent.

May is the transition month. The 1st part of May is spring-like, but somewhere in May the weather usually changes to a summer-like pattern with less cool fronts.

Late May - most of Sept is summer.

September is the transition from summer to autumn. This is the month when the cool fronts start to kick back in, which lowers our temps. However 90+ weather can still be felt into Oct or even possibly Nov depending on where you live in Texas.

Oct, Nov and almost all of Dec is fall. Around Christmas thru New Years Eve is the approach of winter.

Disagree if you will, but even in the wake of the hottest summer ever recorded I still believe this will hold true!
So far, when comparing 2012 to 2011 I will admit that our winter in 2012 was more like an extended Spring, but the rest of this looks to be holding true. We've only had a couple of days so far in May that were 90 degrees or higher, and NONE in April. And you've got to love the rainfall that Texas has seen in 2012.

I'm thinking that this summer will either be a normal summer, or even a slightly cooler than normal summer, based off of what has happened so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,756 times
Quote:
So far, when comparing 2012 to 2011 I will admit that our winter in 2012 was more like an extended Spring, but the rest of this looks to be holding true. We've only had a couple of days so far in May that were 90 degrees or higher, and NONE in April. And you've got to love the rainfall that Texas has seen in 2012.

I'm thinking that this summer will either be a normal summer, or even a slightly cooler than normal summer, based off of what has happened so far.
In the past month, we've had four days that were significantly cooler than average and many more days that were about 10 degrees or more warmer than average. What exactly is your basis for a normal or cool summer?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:01 PM

347 posts, read 467,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
In the past month, we've had four days that were significantly cooler than average and many more days that were about 10 degrees or more warmer than average. What exactly is your basis for a normal or cool summer?
First of all, I didn't say cool, I said slightly cooler. And I am taking into account how much rainfall that we have seen so far in the eastern half of Texas both in the winter and in the spring. No doubt, 2012 has had a much wetter and cooler start to spring than 2011 did. It may in the end hold true that we end up having a somewhat warmer summer than the average Texas summer, but I assure you that it WON'T be another 2011!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,289 times
Quote:
So far, when comparing 2012 to 2011 I will admit that our winter in 2012 was more like an extended Spring, but the rest of this looks to be holding true. We've only had a couple of days so far in May that were 90 degrees or higher, and NONE in April.
Actually here in west Texas not only did April have some 90 degree days but we even had a few different days that were 100 and even 104. But other than that alot of the days have been pretty seasonal and definitely nicer than last year. In fact this past week or so has been nice and cool thanks to the rain that we've been getting.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
No place is perfect. Yes, its hot in Texas in the summer. But its hot in Arizona also. Its hot and humid in Florida. It may look hot to outsiders, but you get used to it. People are out all summer playing golf, going to the lake, etc. You wear a hat, rest in the shade, drink plenty of water, and to some degree, if you can, you do your outdoor activities in the morning. Texas is great in many ways. Yes its hot, but I don't have to shovel it. It doesn't cause my heating bill to zoom into never never land. I don't slip on it and fall down like on ice, and break a hip. and the rest of the 9 months of the year, its wonderful. And lastly, the drought is over. Its raining again pretty much all over Texas.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
No place is perfect. Yes, its hot in Texas in the summer. But its hot in Arizona also. Its hot and humid in Florida. It may look hot to outsiders, but you get used to it. People are out all summer playing golf, going to the lake, etc. You wear a hat, rest in the shade, drink plenty of water, and to some degree, if you can, you do your outdoor activities in the morning. Texas is great in many ways. Yes its hot, but I don't have to shovel it. It doesn't cause my heating bill to zoom into never never land. I don't slip on it and fall down like on ice, and break a hip. and the rest of the 9 months of the year, its wonderful. And lastly, the drought is over. Its raining again pretty much all over Texas.
Well said and I agree. I'm a warm weather person so the Texas climate suits me just fine.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Are these people doing the forecasting anything like the forecasters for other weather (local TV, Weather Channel, etc)? They can't even get it right for the next day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas