Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:15 AM

29 posts, read 98,966 times

Advertisements

He works in Midland, so I was looking at Midland first for that reason. I'm not opposed to Odessa, but it's hard to find something in either city at this point.

I've emailed leads like crazy. All I can do now is wait to see who replies. Meanwhile, I have a 16 year old daughter who does NOT want to leave Tucson. She's in denial at this point. She's at that age where she's planned out her future through her Senior year into College, and Texas wasn't part of her plan. She's always attended small charter schools, so I'm also on the lookout for a school with a similar learning environment. I know football is big there, but that stuff just isn't on her priority list. Her schools have never even had extra-carricular activities, let alone sports. The closest thing her school has to an activity was an internship at the downtown public radio station. They're more about art, local culture & social justice. Schools here are extremely left-leaning & progressive. I'm not, so I always balance her out with a different perspective, but I'm afraid she's still in for a culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroSarah View Post
He works in Midland, so I was looking at Midland first for that reason. I'm not opposed to Odessa, but it's hard to find something in either city at this point.

I've emailed leads like crazy. All I can do now is wait to see who replies. Meanwhile, I have a 16 year old daughter who does NOT want to leave Tucson. She's in denial at this point. She's at that age where she's planned out her future through her Senior year into College, and Texas wasn't part of her plan. She's always attended small charter schools, so I'm also on the lookout for a school with a similar learning environment. I know football is big there, but that stuff just isn't on her priority list. Her schools have never even had extra-carricular activities, let alone sports. The closest thing her school has to an activity was an internship at the downtown public radio station. They're more about art, local culture & social justice. Schools here are extremely left-leaning & progressive. I'm not, so I always balance her out with a different perspective, but I'm afraid she's still in for a culture shock.
Sorry, I can't help you there, I've stayed in Tucson and it would be hard for me to leave as well...I could use some El Charo right now lol

Tucson is very close to our climate here in West Texas and surrounded by mountains. You got hiking, offloading, and biking...oh man, bike riders every where you looked!! Then as you mentioned, the culture is completely different and focused on art (got some Tucson art work hanging on the walls as I type) and nature. Then let's not forget MT Lemon which offers camping, skiing ( yes skiing in Tucson), the Observatory, and our personal favorite, October Fest

But as you pointed out, you got a lot of drugs and illegals etc. It's really a shame! Arizona is a beautiful state. I have spent time in both Phoneix and Tucson and even a weekend in Sadona. Arizona truly has something for everyone!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:51 PM

We love AZ, and living in Tucson. But the reality of it is that work is in Texas. The Hubbs misses us & his life here, but with working 12 hour days, 7 days a week...he doesn't have time for anything else right now anyway. Paying for two places isn't making any of us happy. Well, my 16 year old likes it, but go figure.

I keep reminding her that in 2 years she can go to college back there and resume her life as planned. It's just a detour, and she might learn something living in a different culture. There's so much misconceptions out there about conservative communities, I think it would be good for her to experience it first hand. Tolerance goes both ways. We can all learn from each other.

I haven't been to Mt Lemmon in a while. Come to think of it...I haven't been to El Charro in several months either.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Come to think of it...I haven't been to El Charro in several months either.
Oh come on, that has to be a crime lol

We rented a house around the corner from an El Charro and would call in an order Like once a week.

As for school in Arizona, I guess it all depends on what you're majoring in but ya, you can always go back. Now for me, call it a misconception but drugs seemed to be highly used in Arizona Universities. I went out to eat with some co workers down the road from the big university in Phoenix one Friday night...off Mills Ave. Well I had to use the restroom and the line was a mile long. I figured it was due to a large city on a Friday night. All of a sudden people started bi- passing the line going to the restroom. I said the heck with it and followed suit. Once I got through the door I saw what the fuss was all about, there was some dude with a fold up table selling drugs I'd never seen anything like it before in my life! Every place has drugs but you want find anything close to that here in West Texas. Heck, I can't recall seeing anything like that in Austin and their way more liberal. That is just drugs, I also heard/read reports on some other things that would have me concerned as a parent.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Yikes! I hope UofA isn't as bad a ASU. That's creepy. She's always been straight edge though, so I don't think that'll change for her. It's a big part of her identity. I just hope this move doesn't cause a big rebellion phase.

I don't mind living in a liberal community. I just don't like the double standard, do as I say but not as I do stuf they teach here. It's very one-sided. I want my kids education to be based on fact and reality. Everyone's perspective is different, depending on their background, phase in life and belief system. I think young people need to be given more credit. They're capable of making up their own minds. Give them every side, every angle...let them come up with their own opinions. Teach fact as fact, opinion as opinion. Spell out the difference. Here, there's a lot of opinion disguised as fact.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Anyway...back to renting a house in Midland or Odessa. (If any realtor actually takes the time to email me back that is.)

Are there any historic neighborhoods that aren't outrageously spendy? Houses from the 30's or 40's for instance? Any mod mid-century homes? Is there a specific neighborhood to point me to that isn't new & cookie cutter? I prefer history & character. Sidewalks and walking distance to something fun is always a plus.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Yikes! I hope UofA isn't as bad a ASU. That's creepy. She's always been straight edge though, so I don't think that'll change for her. It's a big part of her identity. I just hope this move doesn't cause a big rebellion phase.

I don't mind living in a liberal community. I just don't like the double standard, do as I say but not as I do stuf they teach here. It's very one-sided. I want my kids education to be based on fact and reality. Everyone's perspective is different, depending on their background, phase in life and belief system. I think young people need to be given more credit. They're capable of making up their own minds. Give them every side, every angle...let them come up with their own opinions. Teach fact as fact, opinion as opinion. Spell out the difference. Here, there's a lot of opinion disguised as fact.
That is about how I feel about it.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
Sarah, this place has two bedroom units available.

Tuscany at Faudree Apartments for Rent | Odessa TX Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Anyway...back to renting a house in Midland or Odessa. (If any realtor actually takes the time to email me back that is.)

Are there any historic neighborhoods that aren't outrageously spendy? Houses from the 30's or 40's for instance? Any mod mid-century homes? Is there a specific neighborhood to point me to that isn't new & cookie cutter? I prefer history & character. Sidewalks and walking distance to something fun is always a plus.
Umm...the only two areas that come to mind is the Museum area and the Duck pond area.

Museum of the Southwest is is on Missouri Ave new down town. Don't go any further than Garfield going West and no further than College ST going South.

Duck Pond area is at the intersection of Cuthbert and A ST. I would keep to the set of A ST ( Duck Pond side) and you can kind go as far as you want North, South, and West...going west can be pricey.

I believe these homes are in the 79705 zip code...and real close to Midland High School.

Example home ads:

721 W Cuthbert Ave, Midland, TX 79701 MLS# 87492 - Zillow

2612 Storey Ave, Midland, TX 79701 MLS# 84232 - Zillow

Keep in mind, Midland is currently under water restrictions and some yards make look like crud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Faudree Rd, that brings back memories. While people where off watching football, me and my friends was lining up our cars on Faudree Rd Now it's been transformed into a high end suburb.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Thank you for the link Rapunzll.

SVTRay, you're funny about the yards. We only have dirt or rocks here in Tucson.

I'd quote you guys but when I try on this thing it doesn't show up. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas