Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,921,473 times

Advertisements

All states have immigrant populations whose children are non-English speaking or not English-proficient. Immigrants - here both legally and without legal status - are widely dispersed throughout a great area of the US, including here in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast. Locally, both Delaware and Pennsylvania have significant immigrant Hispanic populations. I don't think you can simply attribute Texas' poor educational showing to "illegal immigrants". New Jersey is among the states with the highest ranking - well above average - and has considerable urban poverty as well as a significant number of Latin American immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 10:26 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,261,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
US Education Rankings by state 2011

31) Texas
34) California
35) Rhode Island

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

Smartest States Award 2006

25) Texas
47) California

Smartest State 2006-2007
And Vermont being just slightly better than Texas, as you said? Did you want to post its rankings from these sites?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM

Vermont is also an interesting case in point because it is almost completely lilly-white and has many pricey areas peopled with educated, affluent folks who've moved in from NY and surrounding New England states. Also, from personal experience I can say that Hispanic migrants don't seem to be visible there at all -- there must be some but it is an insignificant number. Clearly these results don't depend strictly on ethnicity, immigrant populations and status, or affluence.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,075,140 times
Where Texas really falls short is our higher education, there is a reason why we are the bottom when it comes to people with degrees.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:18 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,230,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
And Vermont being just slightly better than Texas, as you said? Did you want to post its rankings from these sites?
Varmont ranked 1 or at least in the top 10 but my remark was, at least Texas is Smarter than California if I recall?

The idea really is more of a joke than anything else. As I pointed out, if you look at these rankings, most of the border states like California, Texas, and Arizona are well below average. These states have a serious issue with illegals. Just how many school districts in Varmont for example have 50% or more people of Hispanic backgrounds and of that percentage can actually speak English? We have entire school districts along the border who is composed soley of hispanic people..in some cases, kids actually live in Mexico and cross the border for school. So I suspect that has a lot to do with our lower state rankings vs the rest of the country.

My whole point to this subject is to say basing your disision to migrate out of Texas during a US economical melt down based on school rankings is flawed.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:01 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,261,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Varmont ranked 1 or at least in the top 10 but my remark was, at least Texas is Smarter than California if I recall?

The idea really is more of a joke than anything else. As I pointed out, if you look at these rankings, most of the border states like California, Texas, and Arizona are well below average. These states have a serious issue with illegals. Just how many school districts in Varmont for example have 50% or more people of Hispanic backgrounds and of that percentage can actually speak English? We have entire school districts along the border who is composed soley of hispanic people..in some cases, kids actually live in Mexico and cross the border for school. So I suspect that has a lot to do with our lower state rankings vs the rest of the country.

My whole point to this subject is to say basing your disision to migrate out of Texas during a US economical melt down based on school rankings is flawed.
I never mentioned school rankings, I just mentioned the presence of uneducated people. You can when people are uneducated just by being around them, and it involves a whole lot more than schooling.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I never mentioned school rankings, I just mentioned the presence of uneducated people. You can when people are uneducated just by being around them, and it involves a whole lot more than schooling.
You asked about my stats and I provided them.

School Rankings is at least some form of data which you can use to formulate opinions. Do you have stats backing up you uneducated people opinion, or are you talking some form of street smarts?

Last edited by SVTRay; 09-16-2011 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Does "uneducated" in this sense perhaps equate in part with insularity. My partner and I have observed here even in a small East Coast city that we meet many people who have lived abroad and who are widely travelled. Frankly, when we lived in Austin there was a tendency amongst our friends to confine themselves to cruises along the Central American and Mexican coasts or perhaps to a Carribean cruise. Almost none had lived abroad and few travelled abroad except on the very rare occasion. There were exceptions, of course, including one friend who actually isn't formally well-educated at all and who uses atrocious grammer, yet who has travelled fairly extensively in Europe (I don't perceive the travel ever broadens her perspective in any meaningful way, however, which is likewise something I've noticed from some of our other Texas friends with mediocre formal educations). Anyway, it was hardly surprising that in DC, where I lived as a kid, or in London, where my partner and I were living before moving to the burbs of Wilmington, DE that there were many well-travelled people who had lived abroad, but here we are now in a rather provincial little city that is less dynamic than Austin or the larger Texas cities, yet seems to have a population amongst its middle class that is much more highly exposed to the world at large than we found to be the case in Texas.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Does "uneducated" in this sense perhaps equate in part with insularity.
Thats about what it sounds like to me.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,519,768 times
I don't think the country is about to collpase. But why Txas has done well not only in the recessio is for the same reason Germnay is strong i western europe. bascially stayig sound fiscal wise which encouarges growth. Its no secret as so many states are trying to do the same now.Business freindly which texas has always has been;is not a general statemnt by most sates now in last tweo years. Only this administration see business as the evil empire which shows in the reaction to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas