Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I'm not sure cheap Chinese vending machine toys really count as being dependent on China. The only reason China is even on the scene is due to cheaper labor. If and when a collapse happens, I'll be standing by with my Mold marker ready to start mass producing your vending machine toys I've made hard to find replacement plastic car parts and my mold maker can make anything! let's go!
You are hugely misinformed. China's major exports are electrical and other machinery, including data processing equipment, apparel, textiles, iron and steel, optical and medical equipment. Major products that we think of as American, such as Apple computers are made in China. Texas imports from China total over $27 billion annually, do you seriously think it's all vending machine toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
All China has to do is call our T-Bill notes and the US would fall into a Great Depression over night and worse than anything ever seen.
No one can just "call our T-Bill notes" they have predictable due dates established for each note. Why would anyone holding a lot of them take any action that would impair our ability to pay the interest and repay the principal to the holders of those notes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
There are some tempting tangents above that are off topic for this forum. Just remember that you're in the Texas forum. This is the place to discuss why Texas would be the place to be after a collapse, NOT the place to wax eloquent about what will cause the collapse... unless there's some way that Texas will cause it. The P&OC forum is the place to discuss international monetary policy and Washington politics.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You are hugely misinformed. China's major exports are electrical and other machinery, including data processing equipment, apparel, textiles, iron and steel, optical and medical equipment. Major products that we think of as American, such as Apple computers are made in China. Texas imports from China total over $27 billion annually, do you seriously think it's all vending machine toys?
My point is, Texas is more than capable of producing the things we need should there be a US economic collapse.

Texas is a leading manufacturing state. Ranking first in the manufacturing arena is the manufacture of computers and electronic equipment (computers, electronic components, military communication systems). The manufacture of chemicals is ranked second in the state. Texas leads the states in this sector, producing benzene, ethylene, fertilizers, propylene and sulfuric acid. Texas is also a leader in the production of cement, crushed stone, lime, salt and sand and gravel.

As for the T-Bills, I meant to say all China has to do is stop buying them in order to see an economic collapse sendin people to states like Texas.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 PM

89 posts, read 185,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, in a way, Texas would be the last frontier.

Most of Mexico, in 2011, functions quite well making comparatively light demands on motor fuels and power grids, they know how to make basic tools and how to use them, and most of the food eaten by Mexicans is grown within a burro ride of home. Very few homes in Mexico require heating or air conditioning. So Mexico, when the "first world" collapses, will still be able to function at or near it's current level, and will be the envy of America. Your Kidding right? They aren't conserving over there, its called POVERTY. Of course your house doesnt "require" a/c when income is somewhere in the neighborhood of $6 a day. Low demands on the power grids are due to much of the country not having electricity, compared to the US anyway. The reason why they are functioning at their current level is due to a basic human instinct called SURVIVAL.
Let's put it this way. If my options were to make a hoe out of a stick and a rock to till up a garden for corn or die I'd be a donkey riding, stick finding, rock lashing, garden diggin fool. Trust me they arent going green over there. They're making due with what they got.

Why do you think so many people risk their lives to cross the dessert or hide in boxes and tires to come here? Money! They want a damn job like anybody else. They obviously arent content starving and poor over there. I would bet a large sum of $ that if the US was the same economically as mexico there wouldnt be very much Mexico-USA immigration.

As a result, when the USA collapses, there will be tens of millions of illegal Americans in Mexico, or trying to get in. With Texas, in a sense, at the "last frontier". If the US econmy collapses no need to go to mexico to be poor, we can have all that fun right here. I.A.O. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. Most Americans will do everything it takes to survive, just like any other human being.

If I were younger, in my 40s or 50s, and if I really thought there was a high probability of the US economy crashing in the near future, I'd cash in my net worth and head far down into Mexico, and beat the rush.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
I'd probably go to Vermont. I wouldn't want to stay in Texas.

This is a boom state, and there are so many people here living in these new plywood house subdivisions, with no sense of community or neighborhood coherence, with the only access to services being the Walmart or HEB down the access road. If access to the fuel supply collapses with the economy, and I can't see how it can't, all the people stuck in the exurban hinterlands will be up a creek without a paddle.

The culture in Texas would be another reason for me not to stick around. Texas doesn't seem like a place where people would create the type of communal relationships that would be needed in a return to pre-modern society. It's more of a place where people would hoard supplies, fence themselves off, and shoot anyone who would get close. Look at who this state elects to lead them. So no, I wouldn't want to ride the collapse out in Texas.

Last edited by brattpowered; 09-13-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Look at who this state elects to lead them. So no, I wouldn't want to ride the collapse out in Texas.
Hum, okay...but have you seen who Vermont has elected to lead them? I can only imagine life in Vermont if/when you the US economy takes a dump. I'm not going to stick around Texas either but I'm not going to relate to a state that...hum, never mind.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:10 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Just remember that Vermont was an independent republic for longer than Texas was : 14 years (1777-1991) as opposed to a mere 10 years.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Just remember that Vermont was an independent republic for longer than Texas was : 14 years (1777-1991) as opposed to a mere 10 years.
I'm guessing that 1991 is a type-o.

Anyhow, you wasn't implying history and Yes I realize Texas is one of 17 states that had their sovereign government. But this only one of the many things that set Texas aside from the rest.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
The irony is that regulation saved Texas from the worst excesses of the crash. Much tighter lending regulations after the Savings and Loan debacle of the 1980s and proportionally high property taxes worked to discourage property speculation and the attendant bad mortgage bundling. Otherwise I think Texas has collapsed. We have a close to a 19% illiteracy rate. We are 34 in terms of state median income, rank well in the bottom half of all states in terms of all major quality of life indices: poorly educated, lower life expectancy, high infant mortality rates, one of the worse, if not the worst pollution in all of the U.S., high crime and incarceration rates, high divorce rates. Dallas has the highest teenage pregnancy rate of any major city in the U.S., one of the highest rates of HIV infection in the U.S. I don't see how we are the last frontier before the collapse, when by every statistical measure besides the growth in low wage employment, we are the collapse. All hat and no cattle here. It hurts me because I kinda like it here.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 PM

89 posts, read 185,899 times
well if ya say it like that it sounds pretty bad,lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas