Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,830,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
Im voting for the guy with the best chance Moderator cut: see comment I dont care if he eats babies, smokes mary jane and has an IV of scotch.
Moderator cut: see comment
That's sort of sad. I am a card carrying Democrat, but I would still consider voting for whomever the Republican Candidate for President was. If the democratic choice did in fact eat babies whilst snorting coke off a bible, then I would have a hard time voting for him, regardless of whom he was running against.

In fact, there is currently one Republican Candidate for President (not from Texas, so I can't mention him) that I would vote for in the general election against The current Democrat in the White House.

I couldn't in good conscience as a voter say "I will vote for ANYONE who is not <insert name of whomever>" I mean.....if Hitler ran against our president, then you would vote for Hitler?

It's sad that uneducated, reactionary voters are usually the people that cast the deciding votes in elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I'm sorry if my comment came off as testy, I did not think it was. It also appears you are misunderstanding it. When I refered to your "huff" it was in regard to your comment that I quoted, "You would like to listen to a defense? Hell, I would like to listen to your credentials for demanding such as if you are a prosecutor asking a witness when did they stop beating their wife...? ", not your entire thread.
Ok, fair enough, CapR, and sorry if I came across a little testy in turn. Let's just wipe all that off as a misunderstanding, ok? Heck, late on Sunday, and had to hit the sack early and go back to work, I know myself I am often guilty of -- late in the afternoon/early evening -- not reading carefully and carefully considering my own replies

What I was really getting at (but yeah, didn't articulate very well), is that the post/rhetorical question I replied to was very loaded in its own right. So yeah, to that degree, there are some of the old wife-beating demands about it were very relevant (even if I overstated my re-direct case in turn...pun intended! LOL).

But it is still legitimate to ask the rejoinder of what has Perry done good or bad for Texas in comparission to any of his predecesors? That is where that sinners and saints thingy came in.

Quote:
I'd be sincerely interested in hearing a defense of Perry, which I thought your thread was promising. Apparently that was not your intention. But I'm not the only person who thought that was what your thread was offering.
No, it really wasn't...but I see what you mean. Actually, it was born of a desire to offer something that would let other Texans -- even those like me who personally don't care all that much for Perry -- give another perspective on it and not have to start outright on the defensive.

For myself, well....for the good?

One is holding the line on the budget. The reality is that it hurt me and it did many others in the pocketbook...but he wasn't the one who got us into the mess to begin with.

And? No question many people are coming to Texas for jobs (but yes, of course, that is just because of our generally conservative favorable business policies..but he advances them).

And yes, I like, on other levels, his support for taking up and outright advocating Texas being a state which is tough on criminals and comes down hard on the side of the private citizen to defend themselves and their property.

Something else to remember, and I personally think many out there, not only in Texas but all over the country, have sorta settled into thinking that the chief executive (state or federal) is some "OverLord" figure who can do anything. So to go back to square one? what has Perry done "bad" for the state that cannot be chalked up to a subjective judgement of whether it was "bad" or "good" at all?

To start...in Texas? What was wrong with holding the line on the budget and cutting. That took guts, something rare in politicians these days for sure. And no fair to talk about all the suffering school children and out of work teachers unless it can be shown how more money makes for better educated kids in and of its own right. Bluntly, we can't spend money we dont have. Kids today need lots more than money to be successful, they need tough love. But anyway, he took a hard line ontrimming the fat not only there but other places in the government.

In the national arena? He is telling the truth about social security and the useless Education Department, and that the states just want to be left alone by the federal government!

So, those are some of the things he has done right for Texas and taking a certain conservative message outside of Texas and doing so in a convincing manner and way. But those are subjective ideological things that others will take issue with...but it will only be their values in turn. Perry scares liberals because, for once, they are faced with someone who won't run scared of them and will hit them head on. Among many middle Americans, it is no wonder he has taken on some strong support. They are not used to hearing this sort of plain talk in a convincing manner.

Finally (time to go eat and hit the sack again!), I want to end by repeating, I don't really like Rick Perry and his Clintonish persona. So show me the altervative to deliver the message and make it work and have a record of truthworthiness and sincerity...then that guy has my vote in a minute.

Y'all have a good night and great week!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,254,571 times
Nah, Ricky Perry doesn't have anything to do with it. Texas is already an embarrasment to the nation without his help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sorry, TexasReb, but if you're being taken in by Perry's using of people's beliefs to get hiimself elected, you need to take another look.

The man is dangerous, if only because what he's really about is Rick Perry, and everything else is secondary. Plus, I seriously doubt he's read the Constitution of the United States OR that of Texas because, well, they don't have the important words, Rick Perry, in them.

You want to sell our country to the highest bidder? Support Rick Perry.

The man is an embarrassment to the Great State of Texas, whether he's a Democrat or a Republican this week.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,292,356 times
Crickets......

Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,983,623 times
People really need to get off this modern-day obsession with politics. I guess younger people don't realize it's somewhat recent, since they've been bombarded by this garbage constantly as they've grown up. They don't realize that this is not how America was for hundreds of years, and that it's really a newer phenomenon. I'd blame cable TV for most of that. Hell, some of the damn "news" stations aren't even news any more. I saw CNN recently, for the first time in about 15 years, and it's nothing like it used to be. It used to be one news report after another, with very little in the way of political information, and NO political "discussion" or commentary. Now it's a damn political blab fest, with extremely little actual news.

15 years ago and further back, people would rarely discuss politics. People knew it was a citizen's right, and a personal choice, and respected that. It didn't matter how a person voted. What mattered was that each person had the ability and freedom to vote. Voting was (and still is) done in private, because it really is no one's damn business. A person votes, and that should be the end of it. It's not up for discussion as though the vote didn't count, or the vote must continually be discussed. Or worse, we're now supposed to discuss amongst ourselves our future voting. Screw that! It's still a private matter. That's how the founding father set it up, and that worked fine for hundreds of years. I guess no one gives a damn any longer about what worked in this country, and made us strong. Let's ignore all of that, and jack around with things, and fuss and argue and bicker and be stupid and petty.

People spend so much energy and time these days arguing over politics. In the past, people would consider this complete idiocy and an utter waste of our limited time here. As far as Perry goes, we all have our opinion. All that matters is the day of the primaries, and if God-forbid he is nominated, election day 2012. That's just two days that count, not 400+ days.

Why not think about and talk about something more enjoyable? Jeez, no wonder the country is in such a crappy mood and struggling. The modern-day attitude and focus is nothing but poisoning and disfunctional. We better change soon, or we'll keep sinking deeper. It might sound dumb, but we're in this together. If we don't start working together and finding common ground, we'll continue to damn the whole ship to the bottom of the sea. United we stand - divided we fall is more relevant now than ever in this country. That used to be a slogan about us and enemies elsewhere. Now it's about divisions and battles within our own country, plus the usual groups elsewhere.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 09-13-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 03:24 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,921,473 times
Sunderpig, I'm turning 57 in a couple weeks time -- do I qualify as one of those younguns you're talking about who don't recall when nobody talked politics? Jeepers, I've been talking politics since I was 10 years old and rather seriously so since about 14. How could anyone who grew up during Viet Nam and the Civil Rights Movement not have had a lively interest in politics? And then Watergate and the Impeachment hearings. For some of us, politics have always been deadly serious business. Indeed, I'd submit that an informed reading of American history will show that politics have been deadly serious for a significant segment of the population at almost all times from the Revolutionary War onwards.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:49 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
I'm with doctorjef on this one. When I was a kid, politics was a regular part of our daily conversation, including the discussion of Kennedy's religion. I was twelve that year. And TV was black and white. We understood the import of Kennedy's trip to Dallas, before there was an assassination.

The difference to day is that we can be constantly bombarded by political info from any direction we turn. The growth is being able to be aware of your realities, deal with the politics and make a better world of it.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,830,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Sunderpig, I'm turning 57 in a couple weeks time -- do I qualify as one of those younguns you're talking about who don't recall when nobody talked politics? Jeepers, I've been talking politics since I was 10 years old and rather seriously so since about 14. How could anyone who grew up during Viet Nam and the Civil Rights Movement not have had a lively interest in politics? And then Watergate and the Impeachment hearings. For some of us, politics have always been deadly serious business. Indeed, I'd submit that an informed reading of American history will show that politics have been deadly serious for a significant segment of the population at almost all times from the Revolutionary War onwards.

If anything, I would say that nowadays people are LESS interested and LESS informed about politics, and not the latter.

I will agree that we are constantly bombarded with media on every subject under the sun, whether that be about politics, what starlet forgot to wear underwear, who is having whoms love child, but I think that makes us stupider and less informed, not more so like Sunderpig suggests.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,983,623 times
doctorjef - I wasn't talking about major scandals, like on the level of Watergate. Duh, of course Americans have always discussed political matters when they rise to that level. I was talking about routine, day-to-day matters. It's as though everything now is a major issue. There's practically no level or variation to the severity of matters in the political arena now. It's all full-blast / supreme importance, followed by a bunch of noise and finger-pointing. Many people can't go a day - often even a few hours - without discussing something political, and dragging others into the discussion. Again, from my perspective, it wasn't that way in the 60's, 70's, and much of the 80's.

Oh well, I should know not to post in the Texas forum. So many times the posts go over people's heads, and folks miss the point of what I'm trying to say. At least with other states, people can focus and be analytical.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 09-13-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I'm with doctorjef on this one. When I was a kid, politics was a regular part of our daily conversation, including the discussion of Kennedy's religion. I was twelve that year. And TV was black and white. We understood the import of Kennedy's trip to Dallas, before there was an assassination.
I third all this. DocJ and I are friends yet disagree profoundly on many issues -- both of today and yesterday -- but I stand solidly with him in that it was the generation he speaks of where political discourse began to have some importance in even family conversations. Not only major issues of the day, but the embryonic exploration into the basic underlying visions which formed the opinions on the issues themselves...

IMHO, that (plus the great music!) was one of those few things I see positive about the 60's...

Quote:
JayBrown wrote: I will agree that we are constantly bombarded with media on every subject under the sun, whether that be about politics, what starlet forgot to wear underwear, who is having whoms love child, but I think that makes us stupider and less informed, not more so like Sunderpig suggests.
On the same continium, absolutely right, JB. Especially with the latter comparrison as to what subject most younger people know anything about. Hell, far as that goes, a large segement of adult Americans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: