Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,533,044 times

Advertisements

Ok, y'all, I admit I am wayyyyyy behind on all the threads/posts concerning Perry, so I can only start one of my own giving a few points (which I understand may well be shut-down, blended, considered redundant, etc). But I just want to say this and hope a few others might contribute...

First, and I have said before quite a few times, there is something about Perry that I never have, nor do now, QUITE trust as to the reality of the man to the words.

I don't know why, exactly, Moderator cut: off topic for the forum A little too slick, a little too "haired good looking pretty boy"...a little just something that made the metaphorial pin-ball machine go [TILT]. I for sure understand the mistrust...

With all that said, however, far as I am concerned, Perry at least seems unwavering in the basic conservative message of the old school. He sticks to his guns (pun intended) and doesn't take any guff off the MSM liberal beltway talking heads who attempt to present him as a Texas cowboy and/or anarchic Southern conservative whose time went out with the Dixiecrats. THEY are the ones who are looking like fools, as he slams it right back into their court...

I might wish it was another messenger (but I am wavering on that one, even) to deliver the message, but so far, Perry seems to be the only one who really presents the conservative case in a no-nonsense, non-weasel, way.

And? By gawd, it resonates, not only in Texas/South, but other areas of the country open to some honest talk. It scares the hell out of the "progressive bunch"...which is why they attempt to present him as one who will make "creationism" a mandate, or whatever.

Oh well. Bottom line is I will defend Perry because what he says and advances is just the medicine the country needs if we are not going to go broke and totally socially bankrupt. And I just want to give that perspective and see what fellow Texans think.

Last edited by Bo; 09-10-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,234,375 times
Sorry, TexasReb, but if you're being taken in by Perry's using of people's beliefs to get hiimself elected, you need to take another look.

The man is dangerous, if only because what he's really about is Rick Perry, and everything else is secondary. Plus, I seriously doubt he's read the Constitution of the United States OR that of Texas because, well, they don't have the important words, Rick Perry, in them.

You want to sell our country to the highest bidder? Support Rick Perry.

The man is an embarrassment to the Great State of Texas, whether he's a Democrat or a Republican this week.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,017,312 times
I don't know but it's obvious the media is in attack mode, whether unwarranted or not on some things. Political strategists predicted this would happen, as it's the only way right now to divert attention and anger away from Moderator cut: off topic for the forum, see comment failed economic policy, inexperience, overbearing bills and regulations that are a huge part in keeping the unemployment level so high. I'm not trying to insert national politics into a Texas thread, but it's true, it was predicted there would be a big smear campaign on the Republican front-runner to divert attention and anger away from the current administration.

Last edited by Bo; 09-10-2011 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Discussing issues+Perry is fine. Discussing candidates not in TX or the President (he's not in TX) is off topic here.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,017,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not the highest bidder. There's someone else who is a lot better and more experienced at fundraising. Just sayin'.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:01 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,624,929 times
I liked the Ponzi scheme comment. Knowing that some of us are never going to see social security if its not reformed somehow, does not sit really well with me. I know its working well for the older folks right now but anyone 50 and younger (not saying 50 is "the older" crowd cause I am getting there fast) are going to get to screwed in it. Seems if you are not pulling SS now you might not get it.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,987,924 times
Reminder for the thread. You're in the TEXAS forum. Discussing Presidential candidates from Texas (Paul and Perry) is on topic here and you can discuss where they stand on issues.

In this forum, you can't discuss other candidates or the President, since they're not in Texas and you can't discuss the issues without discussing a Texas candidate. P&OC is the place to do those things. You'll find plenty of folks there eager to discuss those things with you.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,178,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not the highest bidder. There's someone else who is a lot better and more experienced at fundraising. Just sayin'.
I would agree, I don't believe Perry is the highest bidder, but who is the lowest bidder and is he/she electable.

About the only program I'm interested in a President pursuing is reducing government and its interference in business creation and productivity. Shutting down the EPA, reducing regulations. Generally getting government out of the way of life in the US/a.

Which candidate is offering me that? So far, sounds like Perry.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry, TexasReb, but if you're being taken in by Perry's using of people's beliefs to get hiimself elected, you need to take another look.

The man is dangerous, if only because what he's really about is Rick Perry, and everything else is secondary. Plus, I seriously doubt he's read the Constitution of the United States OR that of Texas because, well, they don't have the important words, Rick Perry, in them.

The man is an embarrassment to the Great State of Texas, whether he's a Democrat or a Republican this week.
THL, I said earlier I wish -- in many ways -- that the messenger was not Rick Perry per se. But I like the message itself (although I think it is too wavering on illegal immigration).

He hasn't read the Constitution? Hell, it seems he is the ONLY one who has really read the document and will use it as of any relevance. One can disagree with his interpretation of it, but at least he can cite the 2nd, 9th, and 10th ammendments. When was the last time, party or national, when a serious candidate actually DOES use the Constitution as a platform for office? That alone impresses me...that he even considers it worth quoting.

So far as his record in Texas? I have to give him credit for holding the line on spending and cutting the budget to make it balance. As a public school teacher, lots of things he did went against what I bring home as a paycheck. But he had the guts to do it. We can't spend what we dont have. State or National...and he is saying it in plain language.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,234,375 times
My reference to the highest bidder was that Rick Perry will sell the state, and the country, to the highest bidder, if it will advance his personal agenda (which is not necessarily the conservative one, no matter what he wants people to believe, his personal agenda is Rick Perry) and if he can get away with it.

And of course you like the message. He's counting on you, and people like you, believing that he actually means it, when all he's doing is using you to get himself where he wants to be.

Again, he's an embarrassment to the State. If that's what you want Texas to be remembered for, TexasReb, you care a great deal less about this state than I thought you did.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
My reference to the highest bidder was that Rick Perry will sell the state, and the country, to the highest bidder, if it will advance his personal agenda (which is not necessarily the conservative one, no matter what he wants people to believe, his personal agenda is Rick Perry) and if he can get away with it.
THL, how many times do I have to say it? I am no personal fan of Rick Perry. Something about him sets off a sorta fire-bell in the night (as Jefferson put it); he reminds of a Bill Clinton in terms of instinctive mistrust. You are not enlightening me on anything I have't said (as have others) before. I really do agree that Rick Perry is out for Rick Perry. What I am really hoping is that -- and hoped for all along -- is that another candidate can deliver/be committed to the same principles that Perry, at least, articulates. Show me that guy/gal and they will get my vote in a heartbeat.

Quote:
And of course you like the message. He's counting on you, and people like you, believing that he actually means it, when all he's doing is using you to get himself where he wants to be.
See above for a few answers. But THL? Please don't presume to condecend to me. We are friends, but this didatic tone is irritating to the max.

Quote:
Again, he's an embarrassment to the State. If that's what you want Texas to be remembered for, TexasReb, you care a great deal less about this state than I thought you did.
Uhhh, THL? I will overlook that remark in the spirit of Texas manners. Still, it was a bit out of line. I can't help that you take all this so personal due to your obvious hatred of Rick Perry. But I respectfully ask that you refrain from going that route henseforth. That is, adopting the role of the Grand Judge as to pounding the gavel ala' "caring" about Texas because of some esoteric rules/opinions of your own.

An analogy I can think of is how much you and I vehemently disagree as to whether or not Texas is a Southern or Southwestern state. But never once did my disagreement with you take on the tone of my calling your "caring" about Texas, into question. In the same vein, it would never occur to me to do so now in another realm...

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-10-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: