Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do some Southerners erroneously claim TX is part of the South?
Because they know their region lacks prestige and want to include TX to bring it up 6 15.79%
Jealousy of Texas' greater prestige makes Southerners vindictive and want to drag down TX with them 4 10.53%
Ignorance 11 28.95%
All of the above 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:51 PM

395 posts, read 1,008,694 times

Advertisements

Why is this?

Last edited by Bo; 12-06-2008 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US, since OP mentions only one state.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:56 PM

203 posts, read 687,502 times
Jealousy of Texas' greater prestige makes Southerners vindictive and want to drag down TX with them

^^^^

lol, prestige? America thinks of you guys as cowboy boot wearin southerners that say "yall" no matter how bad u wanna be Cali

Old 12-06-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
Jealousy of Texas' greater prestige makes Southerners vindictive and want to drag down TX with them

^^^^

lol, prestige? America thinks of you guys as cowboy boot wearin southerners that say "yall" no matter how bad u wanna be Cali
Yes, we want to emulate a third-world earthquake prone mudsliding state constantly on fire and filled with millions of poors draining the state's already failing economy.

We're content with our better economy and most fortune 500 companies thank you very much.

Even if your ignorant post had some merit, it is unquestionable that TX is MORE prestigious than the South, with their high rates of teeth loss, low incomes, etc.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:17 PM

835 posts, read 2,299,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Why is this?
Why do you hate the South so much?

Anyone who includes Texas in the South's definition aren't "dragging Texas down" because there's nothing wrong with being Southern.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Why do you hate the South so much?

Anyone who includes Texas in the South's definition aren't "dragging Texas down" because there's nothing wrong with being Southern.
Dude, we have the Astros, Rangers, Mavericks, Spurs, Rocks, Texans, and Cowboys.

What does the South have? Saints? Falcons? Pleeeeeeze. We have a much more storied sports history. I could not live in a place like MS/AL with no professional sports teams I mean come on.

And then the food...TX has much more diversity with huge Paki/Indian, African, and asian population centers.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:20 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,404,089 times
What a biased poll. TX was one of the states that seceded in the 1860's so that should be enough to make it part of the South, besides the fact it's not the Southwest.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:24 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,136,737 times
Northern Mexico?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:25 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,545,817 times
Default Note to all my fellow Southerners from a Texan.

I hate to be so dramatic and formal, but here goes:

MEMO:

To: To all my fellow Southerners

Please do not dignify, by responding, to this totally ridiculous and slanderous poll initiated by the person who goes under the moniker of TxGuy.

He does not , I repeat does not, speak for Texans, the overwhelming majority of who proudly identify ourselves as part of the South, and as Southerners (and I can provide the polling data to prove it). Even if from a unique perspective....

I am embarrassed that at one time I actually considered him a worthy opponent. As time went on, however, I saw it more and more for what it really was. That is, a fellow who not only nurtures a pathological hatred for the South, but is consumed by delusions of intellectual and moral superiority.

It started with this thread:

In this thread I will show you why Texas is not the South

His whole premise from the outset was ludicrous, and the same were totally destroyed by subsequent responses. For those who haven't...please read it. It speaks volumes. And I ain't just whistlin' Dixie....

I think he know this. So, in some sort of twisted way, his natural means of lashing out at those who tore his arguments from all over hell and half of Georgia is to post a poll such as this.

How pathetic...

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-06-2008 at 02:36 PM..

Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 PM

115 posts, read 173,813 times
Some offficial geographical american maps actually has about a third of texas considered part of the "south" while others have about half of it be in that area. Others have it part of the great plains like oklhoma and kansas but with much more southern influence than the more northern great plains states. Some have it as a mix of west great plains and south depending on where someone is in texas.

--
this is how i see it

I would say the area from witchita falls, texas straight down to surrounding austin areas but not quite austin and then from east of austin straight down to about corpus christi is the "south"
From the west of the line i would say it would be a hybrid of the great plains and west. (While austin would be a hybrid of the south, great plains and west) This hyrbid zone would for the great plains/western texas area would be everywhere on that side of texas except the extreme southern and southwestern areas near mexico and the extreme west of the texas panhandle where el paso is. This area of Texas would be the western us exclusively much more.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,545,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewillitland View Post
Some offficial geographical american maps actually has about a third of texas considered part of the "south" while others have about half of it be in that area. Others have it part of the great plains like oklhoma and kansas but with much more southern influence than the more northern great plains states. Some have it as a mix of west great plains and south depending on where someone is in texas.

--
this is how i see it

I would say the area from witchita falls, texas straight down to surrounding austin areas but not quite austin and then from east of austin straight down to about corpus christi is the "south"
From the west of the line i would say it would be a hybrid of the great plains and west. (While austin would be a hybrid of the south, great plains and west) This hyrbid zone would for the great plains/western texas area would be everywhere on that side of texas except the extreme southern and southwestern areas near mexico and the extreme west of the texas panhandle where el paso is. This area of Texas would be the western us exclusively much more.
Good post. The only quibble I would make with your very relevant observations are that that the "Great Plains" are not a true region. That is, in the sense of sharing a coherent historical and cultural kinship. Kansas and Nebraska have almost nothing in common with Texas.

Likewise, the "west" as concerns Texas. The true identity of a region is its bond with other states, and even most parts of West Texas (while not topographically "Southern") share more characteristics with the southeastern states than the true Southwest.

Anyway, just a note in passing.

*afterthought* Personally, I would rather not have something so intelligent as what you wrote (my own quibbles or not) be a topic of discussion on a thread devoted to a theme which is strikingly similar to the old proverbial rantings of a mad man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas