U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 AM

17 posts, read 58,016 times
Brenham is a good artsy town...with a very lively theater and antique scene. It's situated midpoint between Houston and Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 01:26 PM

9 posts, read 32,271 times
I could see Eastland become an art town.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:39 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,517,792 times
Castroville? i dunno, never been, but a town that holds a wine tasting on the square each Fri nite, has got to be a bit artsy

Old 09-13-2008, 02:24 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,829,892 times
Don't forget Marfa! It is most definitely an artsy town, with the Chinati Foundation.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 1,856 times
Default I'm looking too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm70116 View Post
What do you think are the best small towns in Tx. for artists.
Live in the New Orleans now, but have had enough of the slime, and the grime and da crime. Want to open a gallery is a small Tx. town
that would have tourists/visitors/locals that would be interested in art or
at least have some possibilities. I like Gruene, New Braunfels, Wimberley,
Fredericksburg, Georgetown, & Salado, but all the popular places like these
have no places to lease or anything to buy that is reasonable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. No big cities like D/FW or Houston. Thanks Tommy
I am looking too and will come back with info as found!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM

14,316 posts, read 20,100,568 times
Rockport, TX on Aransas Bay has a pretty active art scene and a few festivals each year.

Wimberley is another good location, and with its Market Days running most of the year, which attracts big crowds, an artist may not even need a store front. http://www.shopmarketdays.com/

Edit: I just realized how old this thread is, still it may be useful to some.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 PM

5,037 posts, read 4,768,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarsrum View Post
I am looking too and will come back with info as found!
Probably never heard of it, it's tiny. Edom, Texas in East Texas. Not much there, but some artists/craftsy people love it. Places like Rockport and Marfa are better known.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 AM

2,844 posts, read 3,826,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Probably never heard of it, it's tiny. Edom, Texas in East Texas. Not much there, but some artists/craftsy people love it. Places like Rockport and Marfa are better known.
Edom gets my vote as well. It has gotten quite a reputation as an artist haven in the last few years. Very small, but relatively close to Tyler for big city conveniences. A beautiful place to live, too.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,096,261 times
Marfa and it is not even close. Home to the Judd and Chinati foundations, plus the Lannan. Home to the most significant collections of American minimalist art in the world, probably the only place in Texas that is on a global art map, and that would include huge cities like Dallas and Houston. Only the Menil and the Rothko Chapel in Houston and the Kimball in Fort Worth (very different kind of collections, but amazing) can compare with what they have in Marfa. Best independent bookstore in Texas, great NPR station, proximity to the most spectacular scenery in the state. It has gotten pricey and there is strangely no good coffee, but for art towns in Texas, heck for art towns in the world, Marfa is in a league of it own!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,029,306 times
Well I know Marfa is pretty popular and has an ideal artsy scene and it's a small town. But I'd like to advertise for my hometown. I wouldn't consider it a small "town" but it is a small city. Longview,Texas has a pretty good artsy scene and it's in a good location in the middle of East Texas. Right off I-20, Not to far from Dallas and Shreveport,LA. Check out some of these links on the art scene in Longview

ARTS! Longview | Longview, East Texas Theatre, Music, Ballet, and Museums
Art Walk Longview, Texas
Longview Museum of Fine Arts - Home of contemporary, regional and national art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas