Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
South Central 7 10.00%
Southeast 11 15.71%
Northeast 13 18.57%
Midwest 6 8.57%
Pacific Northwest 13 18.57%
Greater West 13 18.57%
Desert Southwest 18 25.71%
Other 6 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM

180 posts, read 479,579 times

Advertisements

As soon as I can, I will move. Top 5: Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico and Alaska. Born and raised in TX and most of my family is located here but I can't wait to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Florida,Colorado, North Carolina or Virginia [most likely NOVA]. Never been to California, but I think I might like it.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
We just moved back from the East Coast which while beautiful just didn't feel right to us. I have family on the West Coast and I know I wouldn't fit well there. I'm afraid of NM because I was on a shuttle once where the locals were trashing everyone from Texas. I have wonderful family in CO but again one family member was military thus her co-workers didn't know her homestate was TX, so they too were free with their words of hate for all things TX. Despite any drawbacks, I love Texas so I'd have and had a hard time living elsewhere. I picked S. Central because I thought maybe OK would work for me. I have friends from there and they don't seem at all anti-TX (except perhaps the UT/OU thing but that may be a thing of the past soon anyway ) and seem to have alot of the same core values I like. Hopefully, we learned our lesson and we're staying put

Old 09-26-2011, 05:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
After the last fiasco I went through on the NM board..........I'm not much inclined to post there, LOL
I emphasize and PMed you a reply.

I notice Austin is still setting 100-plus records and it's already FALL for crying out loud! And now the weather gurus are saying La Nina will deepen and return, with all that implies for continued drought conditions.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 PM

I lived for 3 years in Lewiston, Idaho - the banana belt of the NW and Idaho's only seaport! I seriously considered it for a retirement home. There are quite a few retirees living there due to the milder than average winters compared to the surrounding area of the Northwest. But it is just too "blue collar" for my tastes in spite of its appealing weather much of the year.

Aside from the nearly ideal year around weather where I live in the Lincoln Natl. Forest of south central New Mexico, there is the advantage of not having to fight insects and other invasive critters. No mosquitoes, midges, chiggers, etc that plague other areas of the country in the warm months. The most bothersome are the deer and horse flies during the driest couple of months (May, June), and they only bother when out in the ranching areas.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I emphasize and PMed you a reply.

I notice Austin is still setting 100-plus records and it's already FALL for crying out loud! And now the weather gurus are saying La Nina will deepen and return, with all that implies for continued drought conditions.

Thanks...I sent a reply back.

Yep...Austin right now is still in very bad shape. I have a lot of family in the area, so I hear a lot about it. I can't believe all of the dead NATIVE trees--cedar, post oaks, etc. in that country.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
As of now, the return of La Nina is predicted to be weaker than our last one (as the second turns historically have been), and this weather pattern isn't yet promised. The odds are a bit against us, but a wet winter is still a possibility.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As of now, the return of La Nina is predicted to be weaker than our last one (as the second turns historically have been), and this weather pattern isn't yet promised. The odds are a bit against us, but a wet winter is still a possibility.
I've always believed that severe periods of drought were followed by unusual monsoonal (torrential) rains. But the Gulf of Mexico has been unusually calm and quiet this summer and I'm just wondering if all that oil floating around had or is having something to do with it? Far fetched, I suppose, but....

Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,527 times
Propably southern Arizona. Been all through there a few times both in winter and summer and even spent a week in Yuma Arizona and I liked it. Really hot summers but the winters there are the best imo. Also Northern California if I could afford it.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:00 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Reviving this thread because I'm interested in hearing more answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas