Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 PM

78 posts, read 115,941 times

Advertisements

The people of Texas need to take their state back. Here is one reason why:

Tax refund for Texas refineries could worsen education funding crisis | Texas Regional News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Too many ignorant people that think spending money in education is throwing money down the toilet
but the same people think that give millionaires more money is going to make them create jobs (how many people can say that they got a raise, just because their company is doing good?)

Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,227,532 times
This article is just a shot at Perry. The EPA required those upgrades and thus qualified for the refunds.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 AM

563 posts, read 905,484 times
I like how Valero said the Texas "Legislature likely intended a broader interpretation of the law." To me, "on-site pollution" means you would have to decrease the amount of pollutants released during the refining process in order to be exempt. The EPA specifically asked them to remove sulfur dioxide from the process so that the finished product consumed off-site would burn cleaner. How much more defined does "on-site pollution" need to be, Valero?! Texas owes you nothing.

And to those who think that creating a "business friendly environment" means stretching laws in a way to where they are almost unrecognizable (i.e., rewriting), you better kiss the seat your sitting in because Texas is gonna clean house.

Last edited by MobileDave; 09-27-2011 at 01:11 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Who cares about kids when you can give your cronies huge refunds?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 AM

12,864 posts, read 13,163,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Too many ignorant people that think spending money in education is throwing money down the toilet
but the same people think that give millionaires more money is going to make them create jobs (how many people can say that they got a raise, just because their company is doing good?)
I know several people who got raises & bonuses. Their companies did well because the employees performed above expectations, and they were rewarded.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,827,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I know several people who got raises & bonuses. Their companies did well because the employees performed above expectations, and they were rewarded.
This tax cut has nothing to do with "employees performed above expectations", it will do nothing for the employees and will only hurt public education. Once again, only the corporations and stockholders benefit from actions such as this. Ohhh, and the politicians who get backdoor bribes and political contributions as thank you's for pandering to their corporate overlords.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I bet they are "top dogs" wherever they work.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,721,100 times
Its funny that the people who rant about "social contract" are the the first ones to deny the benefits of the "social contract" to specific people they have a fetish-like dislike of.

My BIL tears down refineries for a living and reassembles them overseas. The refineries closed because it was cheaper to shut them down than to retrofit them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
This tax cut has nothing to do with "employees performed above expectations", it will do nothing for the employees and will only hurt public education..
Its a good living for him, but not for the hundreds of people out of work or the thousands of people in the community who lost their jobs, too, or the counties and cities that lost the tax base.

Behind every "rich" company or capitalist investor are the thousands or tens of thousands of people they have organized to accomplish a given economic task. And the community that relies on them.

Quote:
Once again, only the corporations and stockholders benefit from actions such as this. Ohhh, and the politicians who get backdoor bribes and political contributions as thank you's for pandering to their corporate overlords

You are just another person who lives in a clock who only comes out to say, "Cuckoo!"

Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM

12,864 posts, read 13,163,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I bet they are "top dogs" wherever they work.
One is (my oldest son - a bank vice president), another son is an assembly line worker at Dell who is very happpy with his job.
Then there are a few others ranging from grunts to upper level management at IBM.

A lot of the corporate welfare is a waste of money, but remember where the money comes from in the first place.

Government does not create wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: