U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 AM

12,424 posts, read 13,583,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
"Hip" as in the corny, tree-hugging followers? True. But it's always been my opinion that both Dallas and Houston had the more innovative and worldly vibes of all the Texas cities (with the latter of course having an edge on the former). When it comes to what it really means to be HIP, that's Houston's game, fair and square.

Dallas is ritzier, but Houston is more cosmopolitan in the sense that it is truly the most international town in Texas. The city that opens its doors to the world.

And while Dallas certainly dominates the world of fashion and luxury, Houston isn't lacking in this area at all. It has its own chichi crowd of "beautiful" women and men.
Houston is home to more Miss Texas' than Dallas. What does that tell you?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 AM

13,438 posts, read 14,738,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Houston was the Capital of Texas & the first word spoken from the Moon...what was Dallas besides "Who shot JR" & the grassy knoll?
you just proved his point how some of you are so braggadocio about Houston.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,522,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
you just proved his point how some of you are so braggadocio about Houston.
hahaha no crap, he's so oblivious to how transparent he is and how ridiculous his and Htowns posts look, it's quite amusing.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:30 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,522,363 times
Quote:
This post is garbage.

Obviously you've never been to Houston before.

Oh & LOL @ the Wiki link to make your point regarding humidity.

Houston was the Capital of Texas & the first word spoken from the Moon...what was Dallas besides "Who shot JR" & the grassy knoll?
Wow, this obviously proves how amazing Houston is. Please tell us more. While these are definitely interesting facts I don't see how this shows how amazing Houston is. You're a trip. I still haven't figured out why I haven't put you on ignore yet, guess I'm a masochist and get too much of a kick out of the crap you constantly post.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 AM

3,161 posts, read 2,227,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Not sure if I agree with this. San Francisco's dining is unbelievable. Top in the nation to me behind New York, and I am very familiar with both scenes. And not just upscale, but all sorts of restaurants. Of course, Tex Mex and barbecue will always reign supreme down here and Houston has great food as well for sure

San Francisco has Houston (and Dallas for that matter) beat in all these categories in my opinion. I really dont think there is much comparison

is comparing houston to san francisco something you really want to do ?

SF is an awesome place to visit but thats it, no one in their right mind short of a michael moore class of mouth-breathing liberal would choose to live there over houston.

comparing restaurants is also very subjective. Once again, SF is where you visit, not live.
If you think texas is all about bbq and tex-mex, you're showing your ignorance.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:18 AM

8,937 posts, read 5,756,113 times
Quote:
Houston is home to more Miss Texas' than Dallas. What does that tell you?
It tells me that Houston has more Miss Texas winners than Dallas.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM

3,203 posts, read 1,951,592 times
The TV show "Dallas" should have been set in "Houston".

Houston has always had that hardcore boom/bust mentality being the world's oil town.

Dallas kind of stole Houston's image in the 1980s.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 AM

72 posts, read 92,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
SF is an awesome place to visit but thats it, no one in their right mind short of a michael moore class of mouth-breathing liberal would choose to live there over houston.

Now this is just silly. You could also say no one in their right mind short of a ultraconservative, minority-lynching Jesus freak would choose to live in Houston over San Francisco. We all know this is a laughably untrue stereotype-driven generalization. I'm sure there are a number of Republicans in San Francisco, and I'm sure some live there by choice.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,716,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Not sure if I agree with this. San Francisco's dining is unbelievable. Top in the nation to me behind New York, and I am very familiar with both scenes. And not just upscale, but all sorts of restaurants. Of course, Tex Mex and barbecue will always reign supreme down here and Houston has great food as well for sure

San Francisco has Houston (and Dallas for that matter) beat in all these categories in my opinion. I really dont think there is much comparison
Actually it can go either way; Houston is tops when it comes to things like Tex-mex, seafood, cajun/creole/ southern,etc

It's all in what you prefer; however, you're correct in SF beating us in many things. I don't see history as something to compare because no history is more better than another; the Battle of San Jacinto was very significant along with many inventions created here in Houston which have remained relevant til this day.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 AM

2,124 posts, read 1,236,668 times
I dont think it is insecurity. I think most people, no matter where from, get defensive when you're from elsewhere and criticize their hometown. The place they identify with. Its like people from New York, L.A. or Chicago; they've known their city's weak points long enough, and dont want to hear 'outsiders' whining and repeating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas