U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 AM

743 posts, read 516,009 times
Default beaumont vs tyler (possibly midland as well)

i am required by my work visa to move from austin to a small town in order to forward the labor certification and push through the greencard process. now, the options being offered to me are either beaumont or tyler, though midland might come into play later as well if those two wont pan out. i will be working in my employer's rehab hospital in all those places.

can anyone help me in this decision? i have been browsing through tyler and beaumont threads, not yet midland as im really wary about going to west texas, but im still confused. and i will be living in those places for at least 6 months, maybe even until i get my greencard which could take at least a year. i dont drive yet, but im planning to get a car and license as soon as possible. i might move there in the next month or two.

one big concern is the crime rate. i just learned that beaumont and tyler both have higher than US city average crime rates, but not midland, so that now factors into my decision.

one thing for sure: I WILL MISS AUSTIN SO MUCH. i love it here, and i knew i lucked out in being able to work here for a year and a half. i also suspected that with austin being a very competitive market for healthcare professionals, it would be very hard to justify the labor certification for me here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 AM

i do have to say, having lived in cleveland, ohio for 2.5 years, i dont want to live somewhere similar to that city.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,492,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i do have to say, having lived in cleveland, ohio for 2.5 years, i dont want to live somewhere similar to that city.
Can't get nothing in the Waco/Temple/Killeen area?? All are close enough for a day trip to Austin. However, I'd go with Tyler out of the three. Booming city situated within East Texas among rolling hills and lushness and also is relatively progressive for a city its size. Midland next with Beaumont last. Beaumont is close to Houston though and Tyler is close to Dallas; Midland is rather isolated.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Can't get nothing in the Waco/Temple/Killeen area?? All are close enough for a day trip to Austin. However, I'd go with Tyler out of the three. Booming city situated within East Texas among rolling hills and lushness and also is relatively progressive for a city its size. Midland next with Beaumont last. Beaumont is close to Houston though and Tyler is close to Dallas; Midland is rather isolated.
i wish. the system with the labor cert with USCIS requires a foreign trained employee to be in a place that does not get much competition from the locals/natives to justify the labor certification--hence having to work and live in such small towns.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM

3,925 posts, read 3,472,893 times
If you love Austin you're going to hate Midland...in more ways than one.

Austin:

Beautiful country
Lots of things to do
Lakes
Liberal

Midland:

Dry and dusty
Minimal things to do
What's this stuff they call water?
Conservative

Right now the job market in Midland is doing well, especially the oilfield. Midland is also in the process of expanding it's main hospital...more than twice it's original size in my opinion. So you maybe able to locate a decent health job. The crime is low in Midland probably due to our Conservative views I guess. Midland doesn't allow things like Strip clubs, adult stores or Hooters for example. Midland's Sheriff is one mean SOB! During our first oil boom things got way out of control....I'm talking crime rates that would make East L.A blush! So thats why. This is really a non issue for typical law abiding people.

Problem, due to the oil boom, housing is almost non existent in the entire area! You may see one or two hotel rooms come for rent but their rented out the next day. We got people living in hotels! So I wouldn't except any job offers without a place to stay.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,227,075 times
Tyler, crime is mainly, thefts, and in isolated areas.

It is the medical center of East Texas as well with the only Level One Emergency Hospital in East Texas. Only one for that matter in Fort Worth.

But for six months to a year you could probably "sweat it out" most anywhere? yes, lol

Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 PM

at any rate, im going to hate to have to leave austin. i just need more information so i can be somewhere more bearable considering the circumstances.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,219,427 times
From what I understand, Beaumonts crime rate by far presents more of a real danger to its residents. There are a lot of burglaries and small time drug cases in Tyler though, but I hear about more shootings in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area. But IDK.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM

upon checking on crime rate for austin, i saw it's been consistently higher than US city average, yet where i've been living here has been relatively peaceful. i guess it's just being informed and selective on the area to live.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 PM

12,256 posts, read 12,385,958 times
Tyler's crime rate is way below Beaumont's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas